Convert an "R" or buy a new "RB"

Thinking of moving to a larger bike for my wife next year. She currently has the 'R' and is ready to move up to the larger wheel version (RB).

Question:

I am trying to debate whether or not to swap parts out and "create" an RB (Honda ... why don't you offer the kit??) or just sell the small wheel version and buy a new big wheel??

I would prefer to make the change because I have a Rekluse Z-start pro and flywheel weight alread installed in her bike (plus JD jetting and TwinAir powerflow kit). These would likely have to sell with the bike, which means I would have to buy them again if I bought a new RB.

So, to make the conversion, I am thinking I would need:

1. New wheels (DUH)

2. New Swingarm

3. Run new brake lines

4. New springs for rear shock (different leverages)

Anything else ??

So given the choice, what would the popular opinion be .... order the parts for the conversion, or just buy a whole new bike.

I am kind of leaning towards buying the parts over the winter, but would appreciate any input .... especially if I am missing anything here.

The forks are not longer. You will just have to slide them down in the clamps. Go to a dealer and measure the fork height on a RB.

Adding to your list will be a larger sprocket and chain. That is if your RB rear wheel doesn't come with one.

I am like you and want to switch my son's R to a RB due to a growth spurt.

I made the switch on an 85 a couple of years ago when my oldest son moved up on the growth chart. However I had an 85RB to switch parts from (don't ask). Let me know what you find out cost wise as this time I do not have a RB to switch parts from.

The only parts you will need is the set of wheels, tires, 126 link chain, and 55-57 tooth rear sprocket! You can buy a trick custom set from east coast wheels for $900.

Well I was going to put a link to East Coast here but it appears the TT gods will not allow it. So you will have to type it. ((((http://store.********************/)))) eastcoast wheels, where the asterisks are.

We have the rb and have an extra set of small wheels so we can run some of the local 85cc classes and not have to run supermini because of the big wheels. The lever effect on the rear is not really an issue, on the front there is a cut on the fork leg about 10-12mm down from the top, that line should be flush with the top of the triple clamp.

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/81BillyPryor81/Home.aspx

The only parts you will need is the set of wheels, tires, 126 link chain, and 55-57 tooth rear sprocket! You can buy a trick custom set from east coast wheels for $900.

Well I was going to put a link to East Coast here but it appears the TT gods will not allow it. So you will have to type it. ((((http://store.********************/)))) eastcoast wheels, where the asterisks are.

We have the rb and have an extra set of small wheels so we can run some of the local 85cc classes and not have to run supermini because of the big wheels. The lever effect on the rear is not really an issue, on the front there is a cut on the fork leg about 10-12mm down from the top, that line should be flush with the top of the triple clamp.

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/81BillyPryor81/Home.aspx

I think I am going to go through with the conversion.

THANKS VERY MUCH for this link!! You will save me hundreds on this wheelset VS the place I was going to buy them.? I am likely going to order a set in the next couple of days.:applause:

Can anybody else supply some good links to buy from?? They have to ship to Canada.

Expensive items I am looking to buy include:

A Scotts steering stabilizer with new top clamp to allow for sub mount installation.

Rear shock and fork springs

Chain and sprocket set

** side question ... does anybody run a 420 o-ring chain on their 150R(B)'s. If for trail use, would it not make the most sense to put one on since I would need a new chain anyway??

I have converted both of out Rs to RBs.I used exel rims ,stock R hubs and stock spokes and nipples.You can get away with the stock R swing arm,I dont advise it.You are very limited on chain adjustment.I have never seen one not streach. Rear brake line is a must.The front you can use the stock R one,as long as you use a smaler bar .Same with throttle cable.I went from Jr Carmichael / Alessi 784s to an adult bar and cut 3/4'' off or each side.Gearing is a must as well. Spring changes are required, unless you are into smashed pipes and plastic in your butt.

I got one swing arm off of ebay and one from Honda.Honda ones were on back order since Nov. until last week.They should be easy to get now.

I have converted both of out Rs to RBs.I used exel rims ,stock R hubs and stock spokes and nipples.You can get away with the stock R swing arm,I dont advise it.You are very limited on chain adjustment.I have never seen one not streach. Rear brake line is a must.The front you can use the stock R one,as long as you use a smaler bar .Same with throttle cable.I went from Jr Carmichael / Alessi 784s to an adult bar and cut 3/4'' off or each side.Gearing is a must as well. Spring changes are required, unless you are into smashed pipes and plastic in your butt.

I got one swing arm off of ebay and one from Honda.Honda ones were on back order since Nov. until last week.They should be easy to get now.

Why not the Excel spoke kits??

The rest I am going with as well. I had the rear brake line cross referenced and it was the same part# on both RB and R models?? Are you sure a new brake line is a must??

As far as buying new and swapping, I have way too many engine mods to worry about it. Plus I will end up with a better build in the end.?

I swapped my sons small to a big at Ponca. The swingarm is longer but I had no problems with the rear brake hose. I'm looking for a big wheel swingarm so I can replace his small wheel and I'll be able to go back and forth in just a few minutes.

Sorry about the swing arm did not realize it was longer on the RB, or expert model. But is nice to know, we bought an expert therefore did not notice the swing arm difference when we put the small wheels on for my 9 year old. Wheelbase is apreciated though, translates to stability. Theres a mod for you small wheel guys run the RB swingarm for a bit more wheelbase. Also yes you can do the rims and spokes with stock hubs, I would use either excel or buchannon spokes though. However if you buy complete wheels you can sell the stockers on ebay for $3-400 which will pay for the trick hubs and you wont have to learn wheel lacing, or pay someone to lace for you. With East Coast wheels if you buy from them once you will be back, plus they will true the wheels back up for free, if you ever need it. ?

Thanks for all the feedback in this forum.

In a few weeks, I am going to be posting everything needed to convert a BIG WHEEL CRF150 into a small wheel (all of my parts that are left). Likely on EBAY. They are all in perfect shape (with tires that have 3 rides on them).

BUT If there is anybody interested in all the parts necessary (including tires, sprocket, chain, etc.), basically just "bolt on", feel free to PM me and we can negotiate a very fair price and you can avoid eBay fees.

This might assist those who are debating on whether to buy a small or big wheel bike for their wife or kids (or even self). That way you can buy the big wheel version, slap on my conversion kit (aka removed parts) and as your kid grows (or wife gains confidence) put the big wheels back on and sell the small wheel kit again etc. etc. Might save you from having to buy a new bike in a year.

PM me if anybody is interested. I am not going to post prices in this forum, as I am doing this as a benefit to TT members who are debating on which bike to buy (R or RB). We can negotiate that seperately:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the feedback in this forum.

In a few weeks, I am going to be posting everything needed to convert a BIG WHEEL CRF150 into a small wheel (all of my parts that are left). Likely on EBAY. They are all in perfect shape (with tires that have 3 rides on them).

Sorry,

I took this as you were going post on TT as a guide (How To) convert a big wheel into a small wheel as you were doing it. Therefore you would have big wheel parts left over.

Rob