Nitrogen

OK, im a little surprised by my findings.

before 40 psi shop air left side tires, 40 psi nitrofill right side tires.

when i got home, these were the pressures.

LF 42 psi RF 43 psi

LR 42 psi RR 43 psi

before i left these were the temps. couldnt park in the shade today.

center of tread

LF 98 RF 94

LR 97.5 RR 93

sidewall

LF 98 RF 93.5

LR 97.5 RR 93

when i got home

center of tread

LF 132 RF 142

LR 132 RR 145

sidewall

LF 128.5 RF 133

LR 122 RR 131

the tires with nitrofill got hotter and 1 psi higher than shop air! huh!

• Like 3

Man, hope you don't get all negative results :bonk: that would be a bummer and you would have to convert back to just boring air?

Ohhh, another thought, what do you tell your customers, you got yourself in a heap of trouble Martin!?:banghead::rant:

Man, hope you don't get all negative results :bonk: that would be a bummer and you would have to convert back to just boring air?

Ohhh, another thought, what do you tell your customers, you got yourself in a heap of trouble Martin!?:banghead::rant:

im hoping that by doing front/rear , shop air front/nitrofill rear(or vice versa) may set it straight seeing how the sun is more predominant on the right side of a vehicle on my ride home.

i actually dont talk to cust. too often being im in the shop, but if this trend continues with these results, man o man! there could be trouble! LOL! not for me but setting something straight to my boss to quit buying snake oil!:busted: this is just still a prelim test so it may change with different variables. i dont know!:excuseme:

its still fun to experiment though!

There are times that the best bet is to lie to the boss. Perhaps this is one of them. :prof:

As far as the customers go, it is all about perceived value. The customers think that they are getting premium service. Whether it actually works or not does not really matter. Do you guys charge $5/tire like most places do, or is it just a perk for the customers?

Front and back might not be a good test though as the loads are different between the front and back. I say do to opposite sides like you already mentioned.

One question, is the shop air that you used sent through a drier. Well dried air should act like the nitrogen. At a dealership I would expect one. You need to use a little cheapo compressor. Um, like mine.

There are times that the best bet is to lie to the boss. Perhaps this is one of them. :prof:

As far as the customers go, it is all about perceived value. The customers think that they are getting premium service. Whether it actually works or not does not really matter. Do you guys charge $5/tire like most places do, or is it just a prek for the customers?

Front and back might not be a good test though as the loads are different between the front and back. I say do to opposite sides like you already mentioned.

One question, is the shop air that you used sent through a drier. Well dried air should act like the nitrogen. At a large dealership is may be. You need to use a little cheapo compressor. Um, like mine.

Front pair/side pair whatever, nitrogen is still not supposed to expand in the tires hardly at all. I hope you do get positive results Martin and that was just a fluke .........who suggested to you to do this anyway?

Drier on the compressor, eh? Looks to me it's now a three horse race :busted: :

--de-humidified compressed air

--regular ole' compressed air

--nitrogen

On the whole which tires to fill with what because of the sun, you could always do a test at night.

The only thing I ever put it in was aircraft tires.

I think it's pointless to do on a Motorcycle or car that sees frequent use. Any degradation of rubber will be so miniscule it wouldn't even matter; 'cause you're going to wear out the tire tread first. We have some equipment where I work that has had the same tires since the 1970s and they were only filled with air just 5 years ago they started replacing Valve Cores in some of the tires 'cause they finally started leaking. We are just now starting to replace those tires.

• Like 1

CO2 is a liquid in the cylinder. The vapor pressure changes a lot with temperature. However at a given temperature the pressure stays the same until the CO2 is used up. With a compressed gas the pressure drops continuously as you use it. I'm sure they use a regulator though since nitrogen has to be at 2000 or so psi to get a usable amount in a small cylinder.

Helium is even smaller since it is not even a molecule. It is just single atoms. Only about 1/6 the size of O2 or N2.

Paintball guns use primarily compressed air, not pure nitrogen. The reason for using compressed air opposed to CO2 is the solenoid in electronic guns (most of the high end markers) will freeze up with the liquid CO2, and CO2 isnt very consistant with temperature, ammount of liquid etc...

You are also correct about the regulators, there is a high pressure regulator on the tank (400-800) psi and another low pressure regulator going into the marker with changes operating pressures of the marker effecting velocity. The compressed air tanks for paintball guns are either 3000psi or 4500 psi.

Just sharing some info, and i know its somewhat off topic.

ya , bossman says use all you want. maybe the front/rear thing could be a better test. that way you could see the bias between the tires that get more sun vs. the ones with more shade. then again, maybe we are overthinking it! NOT!!!?

Dont forget that if you do the front/rear tire test the drive wheels (FWD, RWD, AWD????) may be prone to higher temps. But who knows :excuseme:

You could just fill 2 seperate tires with the same pressure (cold) and let them sit in the sun for a while side by side and see what result you get.

I TOLD YOU TO DO DONUTS ON THE STRIP NOW i see why your wife is pissed at you all the time YOU DONT LISTEN!!!!!! Give er another shot maybe lf rr with one and RF LR with another so You might be doing a few tests so well leave you alone.