that gurgling..sputtors..??bakfires?

i went for my first ride on my 03 yz450f..couldn't have been more pleased with this thing!..anyone know what that sputter/backfire/gurgling noise is when you let off at high speeds? just curious.. thanx-josh

i went for my first ride on my 03 yz450f..couldn't have been more pleased with this thing!..anyone know what that sputter/backfire/gurgling noise is when you let off at high speeds? just curious.. thanx-josh

I usually find it's a lean pilot jet and/or a air leak in the header pipe.

anyone know what that sputter/backfire/gurgling noise is when you let off at high speeds? just curious.. thanx-josh

It's the unburnt fuel in the exhaust pipe igniting due to the heat when air rushes in(supplying oxygen) through the end of the pipe. It can be worse if the pilot circuit is lean. You might want to read this, http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/me2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=6E5BCFD99FD242B28032722A4D5D52E3 and grab an (easy)adjustable fuel screw from the TT shop, they're $20. If you get one, make sure it's for your bike(year model). I think there's only two different fuel screws sold by Zip-ty.

Be careful which adjustable fuel screw you buy, I have seen one that was

just enough different than the original, it did not fit the hole it is designed

to go in to. I'm haven't check all the different ones to know which one to recommend.

but what happens if i don't buy one??..is it really a NEED or is it just so you don't hear that noise anymore...because i think the noise is kinda cool..haha

They're not noise reducers, they're for tuning your bike!:D If you like the noise, you'll still hear it when going from fully open throttle to fully closed, even when your pilot circuit is tuned.?