E conversion to 17's

I'm considering getting a second set of wheels together to allow me to have a set of road 17's and stock dirt wheels for changing the bike between road / trail use. I've seen a couple of sets around that are off old road / sport bikes which guys have modded with the right spacers, width / offset, front axle and a brake adapter for the forks.

Can anyone advise a particular model of bike that best lends its wheels to an easy DR-Z 400 fit? Basically I'd rather spend time in the workshop than spend over a grand ($NZ) on a proper set of motards.

I know the other way is to lace new 17's onto stock hubs, so if I see a set I might grab em. I'd rather keep the front disc stock as well to get the true "swap & go".

Have also checked out these threads:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525954&highlight=motard+conversion

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487730&highlight=motard+conversion

Cheers for any advice.

Do a seach for Hooligan Mod. A bunch of members (myself included) have converted 17" sportbike rims to the DRZ for alot less than a laced SM set.

I myself im in the same boat you are in.. I dont really want to spend over 1,000 on motard wheels... I have been looking into the hooligan mod alot!

Ah, ok, new to the bike so didn't realize that was the term for the mod - cheers! :thumbsup:

Do a seach for Hooligan Mod. A bunch of members (myself included) have converted 17" sportbike rims to the DRZ for alot less than a laced SM set.

hey WFOmoto I just checked your garage you have an SM why did you go to the katana rims ???

I still like the look of a tri spoke mag for street use, so I figured I'll sell off the SM wheels, to pay for the Hooly's, and a set of knobbies, and it's win, win! ;)

Im Lucky bought my DRZ with Excel gold rims talon hubs allready fitted the bike also came with the original rims that hadnt been used so I fitted the SM rims with a new set of Maxxis Goldspeed and a 41 tooth sprocket, the enduro rims with a real aggresive set of dirt tyres and a 44 tooth sprocket shortened the chain to 110 links and that is a win win situation 25 mins to change the bike from SM to enduro I love it in both formats and would advise anyone thinking of doing a SM conversion DOIT you wont regret it :crazy:

Had a 2000 S model. Its really a Multi Purpose Vechicle for me, It does everything I wanted to, commute to work, buy my groceries and weekend trail to get some sanity back, and of course it also eats into my knobbies. So I bought another set of Motard Rims and a DRC MX Stand with adjustable height which is cool. I been swopping to and fro between off road wheels and motards wheels.

Best Investments.

Oh, initially I wanted to keep the stock S rotors for my motard set up, after some brake fades issues (I have to admit riding like a dick proof to be irressistable at times), I finally bought proper Oversize 320 rotors from Braking, but its a shame they dun make brake pads that is HH rated for DRZ.

Had a 2000 S model. Its really a Multi Purpose Vechicle for me, It does everything I wanted to, commute to work, buy my groceries and weekend trail to get some sanity back, and of course it also eats into my knobbies. So I bought another set of Motard Rims and a DRC MX Stand with adjustable height which is cool. I been swopping to and fro between off road wheels and motards wheels.

Best Investments.

Oh, initially I wanted to keep the stock S rotors for my motard set up, after some brake fades issues (I have to admit riding like a dick proof to be irressistable at times), I finally bought proper Oversize 320 rotors from Braking, but its a shame they dun make brake pads that is HH rated for DRZ.

I think the next new mod should be dual front rotors/brakes on the DRZ. :applause:

Would produce some serious stoppies!