dr. mark,can i ride with a torn acl injury?

4 weeks now since my injury and still sore and weak. since i cant have surgery on my knee for at least 1.1/2 years,(canadian health system)and now that ive got my custom knee brace, do you think i can get back slowly to riding mx or it's not a good idea. i am looking forward to ride at my local track this weekend.

Don't tell any doctors this but this is Mark CRF450#57 answering this message

Go for it. You only live once.

If you get tired of the BS, come and visit me for five days in Houston.

450? I thought you had a 250f?

moved up in class

dont mean to hijack but i also have torn my acl for the 2nd time recently and i have been working it out a little bit. i have rode 2 different time since i torn it again and besides some soreness i rode great. question is could i do anymore damage or should i be ok to ride up until surgery?

It is ok to piddle around, but it needs to be reconstructed, ideally not by some jerk who will do it in such a way that it fails for the third time.

That means autograft patella tendon, taken from the opposite knee, followed by accellerated rehabilitation. No casts, braces, crutches, or sh1t from a dead person.

Dr Mark i sent you an email with email adress on your website,please get back to me ,thank you.

what is accelerated rehab?

It is ok to piddle around, but it needs to be reconstructed, ideally not by some jerk who will do it in such a way that it fails for the third time.

That means autograft patella tendon, taken from the opposite knee, followed by accellerated rehabilitation. No casts, braces, crutches, or sh1t from a dead person.

i went to the track yesterday and did 4 sessions with the brace and i was scared at first but it felt realy good, surprisingly good, it was very stiff for the first few laps and after it went great. in my case the brace does a good job of keeping my knee from moving.thanks to this forum i could at least get back to my life much faster then many riders i talked to at the track that had a acl injury and because of how long it takes here to get good medical attention were left at home doing no exercises at all and being unable to ride for many months. the only thing left now is surgery and getting back to stock. thanks to Dr Mark and all you others.

livharder,

When I tore my ACL (back in '05) I "thought" I could live and ride with the DonJoy brace and I did! Problem was that after every race (MX and HS) my brace leg felt like it had went thru a war (was like a limp limb) and the other leg was like it had just done a few exercises. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to see Dr. Mark (some of the best $$ I ever spent).

Don:thumbsup:

btw, if you wear your brace a lot, make sure you check the tightness of those itty-bitty nuts because they have a way of backing out and disappearing (I found two of mine missing one time and after installing new ones I put RTV over the holes)