new 07 hard to start. How to kick a thumper

Our new 07 yz250f (3hours old) ,the manual says we shouldn't need to twist the throttle or use the hot start with the warm bike ... I found my son has to give it a little gas to start it when warm .. cold starts are very hard... One thing, he has ridden 2strokes and this is our first thumper could we be kicking it wrong.Do these bike need a kick dance to get them going. or a certain set of movements to start. Lastly would i need to turn up the fuel screw a little for a easier start. BTW we took it to the track today and he jumped everything easier than on his cr125. with full gear..

I would say that your jetting is probably off. My 07 was hard to start too when i got it. I put a 45 pj in 168 mj and #40 leak jet along with a wired ap arm. That made all the difference. But thats for 4500ft too. When you start them when their cold give the bike two quick throttle blips and then try starting it. If the bike is warm you may or may not need the hot start it seems to depend on the bike. If you stall or crash it you will probably need to use the hot start. If you look in the jetting forum you can find out how to tune your pilot circuit and that should help start the bike easier. My 250f starts first kick cold or hot.

find top dead center by slowly moving the kick starter down until a good deal of resistance is met then bring the kickstart all the way up and whack it real good.

find top dead center by slowly moving the kick starter down until a good deal of resistance is met then bring the kickstart all the way up and whack it real good.

the newer YZ-F's have auto-decompression so you dont need to worry about top dead center. all i do on my 06 is engage the choke, open the throttle twice (but do NOT open it WHILE kicking as this could cause the kickstarter to kick BACK; its happened to me before and it hurts), then kick it as many times as it takes to get it started rapidly but lightly. no need to really KICK the thing. they are VERY easy to start once u get used to the whole system.

PS when hot, use the hotstart and kick the same way (if you find neutral THEN start kicking, it makes it even easier)

With my '06 YZ 250F I found that you shouldnt twist the throttle at all before you start it and that you dont need to find TDC.

On my '06 it always started in 2-4 kicks when cold and 1-2 kicks when warm.

Twisting the throttle before start it might be a large part of the problem, because I found that doing that with mine would tend to floor the engine. A lot of the times it would pop and shoot flame out the exhaust, but wouldnt actually start. Once I quit twisting, it would fire right up.

With my '06 YZ 250F I found that you shouldnt twist the throttle at all before you start it and that you dont need to find TDC.

On my '06 it always started in 2-4 kicks when cold and 1-2 kicks when warm.

I second this. I love making fun of my buddies riding CRFs cause theirs have trouble starting and mine always fires right up :thumbsup:

the hondas always had trouble. we have a 04 crf250 on our team and they are forever having problems starting that thing. i keep telling them should have bough a yamaha. my 06 usually starts up 2 or 3rd kick. just remember with a 4 stroke you dont need to kick it like a 2 stroke. just slow and easy. get a full kick out of it its a lot easier. when its hot pull the hotstart in. havent had any problems starting with mine doing it this way.

I came off a 426 with manual decomp, so this bike is a piece of cake to start...

kick it through once or twice and give 2 wacks of the throttle then hav at it mine start 1st kick hot or cold make sure the valves are in spec

your manual is wrong then i think..the hot start is for when ur bike is warm..anyway what i do to start the bike is i give it some gas but not much. and let off right before i kick it. and when i kick it i put my foot as high as it can go about the kick starter and have at it. when i havent riddin my bike for 4 or 5 days and i do what i just said i can get it started 1 or 2nd kick. and since he has been riding a 2 stroke u cant do little 2 stroke jabs it just wont work for these bikes..good luck with it

When the bike is hot, use the hot start, when it's cold use the choke. Give it no gas, and even if it does have auto decompression, bring it to TDC anyways. It makes it much easier as it gets a full revolution.

wow I'll start adjusting the technique. thanks TTr's

When the bike is hot, use the hot start, when it's cold use the choke. Give it no gas, and even if it does have auto decompression, bring it to TDC anyways. It makes it much easier as it gets a full revolution.

Exactly. I like how people are saying just kick it over until it starts. That's probably why it takes you 2-4 kicks to start it. Well if you just push the kickstart until you feel resistance, let up then kick it, should start right up first kick (if jetted properly). It's not a 2 stoke, even with the decomp camp. You guys are just kicking until you basically get lucky where it lands and your next kick can start it up.

And I agree about hondas being a PITA to start. All the people I ride with ride crf250's and sit there turning it over and over with elec. start trying to start the thing while I go out, pull the choke, 1 squirt of gas, find TDC, start it right up :p That's with a 2001 and they all have 2005+ bikes lol.

Exactly. I like how people are saying just kick it over until it starts. That's probably why it takes you 2-4 kicks to start it. Well if you just push the kickstart until you feel resistance, let up then kick it, should start right up first kick (if jetted properly). It's not a 2 stoke, even with the decomp camp. You guys are just kicking until you basically get lucky where it lands and your next kick can start it up.

And I agree about hondas being a PITA to start. All the people I ride with ride crf250's and sit there turning it over and over with elec. start trying to start the thing while I go out, pull the choke, 1 squirt of gas, find TDC, start it right up :p That's with a 2001 and they all have 2005+ bikes lol.

I just kick it until it starts, and its always a 1st or 2nd kick start...

when cold...twist the throttle 3 times(i know it says not to) and one hard kick...starts first kick EAVERYTIME..cant remember the last time mine never started first kick when cold

When I see threads like this, I'm glad to have a 2 stroke...2001 CR250R! It is so easy to kick/start. There seems to be so many different ways to kick a thumpe with no real concensous. My only advice...jetting, jetting and more jetting. I almost pulled the trigger on a CRF250X (the e-start is sounding better and better), but others encouraged me to MOD my 2T bike for the woods. Anyway, I will venture over to a thumper someday soon...I need some money first!

factory jetting should be fine for my area I live a 1200 feet.