i want to settle a debate against my mom

which type of bike is better for some1 on a budget ,maintenence wise?(125 versus 250f) she seems to think that the 2 stroke would require alot of maintenence and i keep trying to tell her that the big 4 strokes are harder to maintain and they are louder but she won't listen to me.

i need some insight

2 stroke will be cheaper to maintain, expecially if youre buying used

2 strokee are nice and simple...

I've ridden & raced my 4T for 2yrs now & have only replaced the steering head bearings apart from the regular oil & oil filter changes, 7200 trouble free km's.

Two stroke 2 fiddy, will go longer with less repairs than the other two bikes you mentioned. I ride a four-stroke and have since 2002, the two smokers are definately cheaper to ride and maintain. I ride the thumper because of green sticker issues otherwise I would be back on a smoker.

Ask your mom why she thinks they are better, and go from there.

------EMEMBER------

2t's top ends cost around $100

4t's cost anywhere from $500+

------EMEMBER------

yah. that and a top end can last 2-3 years for the weekend warrior. (all of ours have at least)

which type of bike is better for some1 on a budget ,maintenence wise?(125 versus 250f) she seems to think that the 2 stroke would require alot of maintenence and i keep trying to tell her that the big 4 strokes are harder to maintain and they are louder but she won't listen to me.

i need some insight

I like the small XRs they run forever dont have to do anything to them :ride:

I've ridden & raced my 4T for 2yrs now & have only replaced the steering head bearings apart from the regular oil & oil filter changes, 7200 trouble free km's.

You'll never go that long on a 250f unless you never rev it. I race Hare Scrambles with mine and I'm slow, and I still only get about 60-70 hours out of valves and pistons. You pretty much HAVE to rev a 250f. :lol:

A top end is about $700, once a year at least. 125 top end is about $150, and I would expect about the same frequency.

------EMEMBER------

Dude.....A top end consists of a piston, rings, pin, and clips. I can get a OEM top end for my WR for a around $105.

Oh and before you guys go "eeeerrrrr the vlaves too your noob:blah: :blah: :blah: " I havn't had to adjust my valves once after about 500 miles on the bike. Valves are not a set thing they vary from bike to bike.

I've never owned a 2-stroke but lot's of 4-strokes. While in theory a 2-stroke should require less maintenance (fewer moving parts) I think it has alot more to with how well it's built and how it was kept.

I suggest you look at a used Honda XR. They are not the lightest or fastest bikes, but they are bullet proof. Honda knows how to make reliable bikes. I am restoring a couple of old trail bikes from 1971 and the old reason they need work is due to neglect.... rust, water..... not due to wearing out. We have 4 Honda Z50's and they are built to last forever. We're talking about bikes that are 30 and almost 40 years old.... built to last.

The XR's from the 1980's and 1990's are even better and are almost ledgendary for reliability.

125 smoker, lower purchase price, easy to maintain, simple to rebuild.

Two stroke 2 fiddy, will go longer with less repairs than the other two bikes you mentioned. I ride a four-stroke and have since 2002, the two smokers are definately cheaper to ride and maintain. I ride the thumper because of green sticker issues otherwise I would be back on a smoker.
I fully agree.

A top end consists of a piston, rings, pin, and clips. I can get a OEM top end for my WR for a around $105.

I thought we were comparing high performance 250f moto bikes here that make the same peak HP as 2 stroke 125s, Not trail bikes like WR250fs, CRF250xs, etc.

A 4 stroke top end also includes valves, valve seats, springs, shim buckets, cams, etc. The valves and springs will always need replacing on a high revving 250f.

Yes it's true that a lower revving 4 stroke will last a long time, but it will not perform like a 2 stroke and will be heavier. I used to have an XR and it was VERY cheap to maintain. My KX250f? not cheap to maintain but a lot more fun, being faster and lighter. In fact, my 2 stroke KTM 300 will go twice as long than my 250f between top ends.

Bottom line is that a 2 stroke is cheaper to maintain if you want top performance.

A 4 stroke top end also includes valves, valve seats, springs, shim buckets, cams, etc. The valves and springs will always need replacing on a high revving 250f.

You missed my second post were I added the whole valve setup:thumbsup:

125 smoker, lower purchase price, easy to maintain, simple to rebuild.

and they are fun to boot!!!

You'll never go that long on a 250f unless you never rev it. I race Hare Scrambles with mine and I'm slow, and I still only get about 60-70 hours out of valves and pistons. You pretty much HAVE to rev a 250f. :lol:

A top end is about $700, once a year at least. 125 top end is about $150, and I would expect about the same frequency.

I ride the crap out of my bikes in the A class, and have gone over 200 hours without even opening the valve cover on a 250f. When I finally did check the valves, they were fine.

When I was riding 125's I was replacing the top end every month, and the bottom end 3 times a year. For me 4-strokes have been way cheaper, and way less maintenance.

I havn't had to adjust my valves once after about 500 miles on the bike. Valves are not a set thing they vary from bike to bike.

oooh. cool. a whole weekend w/o adjusting the valves. lol.

i check mine every 500-1000 miles (fe550). that's way more often than i have to check anything on the engine on my 250 2stk.

for every guy like darvo that did way too much maintenance on his 2 stroke and not nearly enough on his 4stroke, there are dozens of normal people who have found out the expensive way that 250f's can be an expensive pain. in general, experts agree that a modern 250f is more work and $ than a 125. mitch payton of pro-circuit said it costs them four times as much to keep the 250f's running.

as always tho, your mileage may vary.

I ride the crap out of my bikes in the A class, and have gone over 200 hours without even opening the valve cover on a 250f. When I finally did check the valves, they were fine.

When I was riding 125's I was replacing the top end every month, and the bottom end 3 times a year. For me 4-strokes have been way cheaper, and way less maintenance.

That's the same thign with me. Maybe it is because he doesn't ride a Yamaha:thumbsup: