NHRA octane booste helps!

A llitle more on the bottom, a little more on the top. Easier to short shift and still pull the gear, with a tiny bit more 'bump' in the mid.

I would guess 1 hp.

Pretty expensive, considering the stuff is essentially $ 80.00 a gallon!

what octan gas are you runing

what are the modds to your bike ??

Octane does not boost power. period. Octane is just a number derived from several different methods of testing fuel. The octane number is ONLY and indicator of the fuels ability to resist detonation. :naughty:

yup

water has a varey hi Octane level

Octane does not boost power. period. Octane is just a number derived from several different methods of testing fuel. The octane number is ONLY and indicator of the fuels ability to resist detonation. :naughty:

+1, shouldnt have made any power unless you were detonating b4, or something else was wrong, or maybe phsycological

yea but its amazing what that number or lack there of will do to a BUILT motor and its ability to run properly...nothing worse than that pinging detonation sound

edit.

actually there are worse sounds that can come out of your motor.....

My bike is modded with:

Stock pipe un corked

3x3

JD jet kit

47 rear sprocket

Octane booster does add power and better power, because the fuel burns faster and more complete, and has slightly more oxygen. What do you think is in VP fuel?

It is easy to feel when riding:

- revs quicker

- pulls 5th gear about 500 rpm sooner

- I can ride on the street using 2nd, 4th, and 5th without lugging

- pulls 70 mph with less buzzing, vs 64mph before.

- Doesn't flame as easy in first at low rpm's

VP:2BBL

Designed for 2-barrel race engines in circle track applications with CRs up to 12:1. Offers major increases in horsepower and torque. Makes 2-3% more power than competitors' standard 110 octane race fuels!

• Color: Purple or Orange

• Motor Octane: 105

• Specific Gravity: .715 at 60° F

First, let's look at organo-metallics which is used in the little bottles of over-the-counter octane boosters, what makes them work and how they compare. By far and large, these work on the same principle as TEL-Tetra Ethyl Lead which is the principle octane-boosting component of AvGas. For automotive OTC use, a slightly less carcinogenic MMT compound is used (methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl); it has pretty much the same structure as TEL, but with manganese substituted for lead. These compounds have a non-linear octane-boosting curve. The initial amounts give the most boost and adding more gives decreasing benefits. Typically you get 3-4 'points' increase with these types of additives; going from 91-octane to 91.4 octane max. I've uploaded a comparison article of these types of additives: 951 RacerX: Octane Booster Comparison

It is not any big deal, just noticable. It's just like going from regular to premium gas. Granted, it's application is most applicable to slowing down the burn rate in High compression engines, but better fuel is better fuel.

octane bosster is not the same a oxygenated races fuels which not all vp fuels are.

My bike is modded with:

Octane booster does add power and better power, because the fuel burns faster and more complete, and has slightly more oxygen. What do you think is in VP fuel?

Higher octane fuels burn slower dude, too much octane can hurt performance, you want to use the least amount of octane you can get by with and not have any sign of detonation for the most power.

Your power increase is in your head

or he is using oxygenated fuel, which does burn faster and more readily and causes your mixture to be leaner and can make more power. in which case it is not octane booster, but octane reducer.

Higher octane fuels burn slower dude, too much octane can hurt performance, you want to use the least amount of octane you can get by with and not have any sign of detonation for the most power.

Your power increase is in your head

Yeah, whatever. So you use regular gas and your bike runs the same as premium I suppose.

You are confusing burn speed with anti-pre-ignition characteristics, and I mis-spoke about burn speed:

Octane rating has no direct impact on the deflagration (burn) of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. Other properties of gasoline and engine design account for the manner at which deflagration takes place. In other words, the flame speed of a normally ignited mixture is not directly connected to octane rating. Deflagration is the type of combustion that constitues the normal burn. Detonation is a different type of combustion and this is to be avoided in spark ignited gasoline engines. Octane rating is a measure of detonation resistance, not deflagration characteristics.

The distillates that make up a higher octane gas also burn more complete, becuase the vapor droplets are smaller, and the surface area of droplets is increased. This is the part of the vapor that ignites, first, and more ignites at once in higher octane. Each droplets burns no faster, there are just more droplets. The smaller the droplet, the more efficient the burn, with less un-ignited fuel.

in IOWA we have 5 octane levels

87 - plane gass

89 gass with 10% alcohol

91 -plane gass

93 gass with 10% alcohol

and the newest is E85 that is 85% alcohol

on my stock SM I could hear detnation with the 89 gass with 10% alcohol ---- so needed to run 91

but then I swopped out the cams for a used "E" set that has more lift with a little more over lap this lowered the comp just enef to run 89 gass with 10%

why add octane if your using the rite fuel to bwdin with

Where the heck do you get your info...wikepedia? It takes more energy to light a higher octane fuel..which in turn is going to burn long after a lower would have...your only hurting yourself running more octane then you need.

Use manufacters recomended specs and you'll be golden

Interesting in Hungary we have 95 octane and 98/99/100 octane gasoline and I did notice some difference between the 95 and 100 on my other bike. Was it an illusion?

Octane ratings are different in Europe than in the US. Also, there is more to fuel than octane #'s. Often times, higher octane fuels will have all sorts of interesting compounds in them that will make more power. That is typical in race fuels. You can gain significant HP with just race fuel, but it is not the octane giving the power boost.

They dont contain alcohol thats for sure :crazy:

they go by ron, and 98 ron = 93 octane here in the states.

in australia we have 91, 95 and 98 ron fuels. the sticker on the back of my bike says use only 98 ron or above. I put 95 in once, as the servo didn't have any 98 and I was in the middle of no-where. only 1/4 of a tank mid you. the bike ran really bad, no power and it had a horrible flat spot.

I now only ever put 98 in.

Their is a lot of talk of putting ethanol into our fuels, because it is 'greener' not sure of the ron rating on them though, I think they are mixing them to around 98 ron though.

Do you guys think that they would be alright to put into the doctor??

10% ethanol is ok for the bike, so says manual.