More Trail Riding Pics

There's a great riding place I found a couple miles from my house. I've been there a few times. This time I took my wife along. We just putted along in first and second gear and took lots of breaks since it's not very comfortable riding on the back with no passenger pegs. The pics were taken when my wife was resting and I was zipping around having fun. We just rode around a tiny section of the entire area - the trails and roads just seem to go on and on and on.

Here, I wanted to get to the other road in the distance and didn't want to take the time to find which trails went there. So I rode down and checked that it wasn't too rough and then came back for the wife and took her across...

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

The little bike pulled both of us up hills like this without too much strain. No great feat but still much more than the poor thing was designed to do:

IMG_7586.jpg

I like all the hills - flat terrain can get boring fast:

IMG_7612.jpg

You can see the roads just go for miles:

IMG_7617.jpg

Sometimes it's more fun to come up the hillside instead of the road:

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

I weigh enough that I really have to take a run at hills and keep the rpm's up:

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7638.jpg

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7668.jpg

Hope I'm not boring you guys with my photos. I know my little "clown bike" (that's what my coworkers call it) isn't exactly exciting but I'm having fun with it anyways. If anyone around here wants directions just let me know. There's a ton more trails and much more challenging terrain than what is in the photos.

Looks like fun to me.

! "Clown bike ! LOL!

Who cares what they think anyway.

Looks like you were having a great time, i enjoyed the pics!!

Mike :thumbsup::ride:

Sweat little yamie: :ride:

Thanks for the kind words. My coworkers are just razzing me - we all like to give each other a rough time. From these photos you'd think I live in a rural area. Actually, I'm in one of the more populated spots - Helena/Hoover.

These are exactly the types of pics I like to look at! In magazines it's all teenagers throwing bikes sideways over groomed jumps, decked out in splashy colours. In your photos I can see exactly how puttering around in low gears would be fun... crawling up and over the hills and trails! I like that stuff too!

Although making your wife ride on the back of that is cruel :) Give her that bike, buy the next larger model for yourself, then go exploring with her!

It ain't singletrack, but powerlines usually have some fun stuff on 'em!

Dave

These are exactly the types of pics I like to look at! In magazines it's all teenagers throwing bikes sideways over groomed jumps, decked out in splashy colours. In your photos I can see exactly how puttering around in low gears would be fun... crawling up and over the hills and trails! I like that stuff too!

Although making your wife ride on the back of that is cruel :) Give her that bike, buy the next larger model for yourself, then go exploring with her!

Believe me, I thought about that. But I just got a street bike for us to ride on so the budget won't support getting any more bikes anytime soon. I need another bike for my son, too. Actually, we bought this bike for his 8th birthday. He rides it some but I've ridden it more.

It ain't singletrack, but powerlines usually have some fun stuff on 'em!

Dave

There's also a petroleum pipeline. And access roads to railway lines. And trails (some singletrack) connecting everything. I've seen a couple railway bridges on Google Earth. I want to go find those. It's easy to get lost among all the winding paths. I need to take along a compass next time.

It's not the size of the bike that first caught my attention or concern, it's the fact that all you're wearing for gear is a helmet.

You're making me feel warm with that full face helmet on!

Jeeeez. I'm not really going that fast in the photos. I wear a Joe Rocket jacket and mesh gloves on the ZX-9R but there's just no way I could put that stuff on to ride the Yamaha. Even a clown biker has put a limit to the indignity...

good stuff bro!:ride::thumbsup:

Jeeeez. I'm not really going that fast in the photos. I wear a Joe Rocket jacket and mesh gloves on the ZX-9R but there's just no way I could put that stuff on to ride the Yamaha. Even a clown biker has put a limit to the indignity...

Gear! If you cant afford the gear all you're saying is you cant afford to ride safely. And I hope your 8 y/o son has plenty of previous motorcycle or BMX experience to be getting on a 125 so young. And I hope he has gear too! Cost is never a good excuse on this subject.

Please don't let this get into a safety bashing thread. I am just as much one for saying you should wear gear as well but give the guy a break. Like he said, he's not out there riding like a moron, just puttering around some powerline trails. Be safe man, and make sure to keep the little guy all geared up if he's on that baby.:thumbsup:

Nice pictures brother, glad you're enjoying time with the wife. Keep it up:thumbsup:

Side note: How big's your boy?? How's he handle the 125 at 8 years old?

My son is now 12. He's a little beanstalk and could just barely touch the ground on it when it was new. He never had any trouble driving it but wasn't terribly interested at first. Now that we have found better places to ride he is riding more. And yes, he wears gear because he is not of sufficient age to decide for himself what risks he is willing to accept.

I would feel ridiculous wearing riding gear on that little bike. True, it is very possible that I could kill myself on it. But my feelings of vulnerability cause me not to ride aggressively anyway. Kind of like how people are more likely to crash if they have an airbag to protect them. So I putter around but stay well within what I feel comfortable with. Now if I was riding a YZ250 out there, then I would really want gear on because I would be doing things to see if I could do them.

I say adults should be able to make their own decisions. Sure, sometimes people are going to make lousy choices. But that's the whole idea behind freedom. It's not about being able to choose what color car you drive. It's about determining the direction of your life and experiencing the good or bad consequences that result. I am so glad that we don't all have to be the same. I don't decry anyone for wearing protective gear. Heck, I'm even understanding of the people who tell me they could never own a "murdercycle". All I ask for is the opportunity to make that same decision for myself based on my own personal values. Could I die? Sure. But I accept the risks involved in riding a TTR125 without full gear.

Ultimately, the safest plan is not to ride at all - everything else is just a matter of degree.

Very nice pics.

Some of those hills you were climbing looked pretty steep. Invite the coworkers along next time to climb some of those hills. Would probably shut most of them up.

I went back there this weekend:

img7764hg6.jpg

img7766wj8.jpg

img7770ar5.jpg

img7769rc3.jpg

Very nice pics.

Some of those hills you were climbing looked pretty steep. Invite the coworkers along next time to climb some of those hills. Would probably shut most of them up.

Yeah, I think they would be a little surprised at what that little bike can do. Actually, one of my coworkers is an AMA instructor that is learning off road riding. He just sold his BMW adventure bike and got a KTM 950. We're planning on going riding together out there soon (when he gets his faulty stator replaced). EDIT: I should mention - he's not one of the guys joking about my bike being a "clown bike".

I'm thinking of taking my 15-tooth front sprocket off and going back to the 13. I didn't realize I was going to be doing all this off-roading when I switched them.

I have a good set of hills near me, I need to get my camera out there!

If I had any bucks I'd get a helmet cam.

Dave