Tail bone injury (coccyx) Dr. Mark

Dr. Mark

I have injured my coccyx on a couple occasions over the past few years. Skiing, Skating, Mtn biking etc. I never went to the doctor because they seemed to get better on their own, with ibuprofen, ice, & heat. I just got back into motorcycles again last year after taking several years off, and i have been in terrible pain. The pain had started before i started motorcycleing again, so i know that was not the cause, though it is aggravated for awhile after i ride.\

I have a high tolerance for pain, but i have finally decided to see my doctor because it has gotten to be to much and i love to ride to much. After riding for awhile it becomes unbearable. Riding in a car or sitting in a chair is now painfull.

My doctor refered me to a pain clinic after reviewing my MRI, apparently i have some degeneration in my coccyx, arthritas.

From what i am hearing i may be dealing with this the rest of my life.

What they have been trying is (today was my 3rd treatment) Steroid injections into the trigger points around my coccyx and lower back, and today i was prescribed Gabapentin to relieve the pain around the nerves, and Lidocaine ointment to apply to the area. I might add that they had also tried an epidural steroid injection that did not help me at all. The trigger point injections seem to work for a couple of months if i am lucky.

Ibuprofen does not seem to help much either. Staying off my butt seems to help a little. Would strengthening my glutes and lower back, & abs help? On the bright side it sounds like i am not doing additional damage riding my motorcycle.

I was hoping you could give me your thoughts on my condition and maybe give me some recommendations or insight. Does it sound like i am going in the right direction with treatment?

I understand that without me being your patient, it is difficult to diagnose my problem without seeing me, i am just looking for any help or advice that i can get.

Thanks

Mike :thumbsup:

P.S. Are there any other riders out there that have this problem? If so what are you doing to deal with it?

I don't hear about this problem so much in riders, but is is not really that infrequent in ordinary people.

With all that trouble, I would remove the coccyx. It really isn't needed for anything not that we don't have tails, and it is associated with a pretty good relief of pain.

Dr. Mark

I have injured my coccyx on a couple occasions over the past few years. Skiing, Skating, Mtn biking etc. I never went to the doctor because they seemed to get better on their own, with ibuprofen, ice, & heat. I just got back into motorcycles again last year after taking several years off, and i have been in terrible pain. The pain had started before i started motorcycleing again, so i know that was not the cause, though it is aggravated for awhile after i ride.\

I have a high tolerance for pain, but i have finally decided to see my doctor because it has gotten to be to much and i love to ride to much. After riding for awhile it becomes unbearable. Riding in a car or sitting in a chair is now painfull.

My doctor refered me to a pain clinic after reviewing my MRI, apparently i have some degeneration in my coccyx, arthritas.

From what i am hearing i may be dealing with this the rest of my life.

What they have been trying is (today was my 3rd treatment) Steroid injections into the trigger points around my coccyx and lower back, and today i was prescribed Gabapentin to relieve the pain around the nerves, and Lidocaine ointment to apply to the area. I might add that they had also tried an epidural steroid injection that did not help me at all. The trigger point injections seem to work for a couple of months if i am lucky.

Ibuprofen does not seem to help much either. Staying off my butt seems to help a little. Would strengthening my glutes and lower back, & abs help? On the bright side it sounds like i am not doing additional damage riding my motorcycle.

I was hoping you could give me your thoughts on my condition and maybe give me some recommendations or insight. Does it sound like i am going in the right direction with treatment?

I understand that without me being your patient, it is difficult to diagnose my problem without seeing me, i am just looking for any help or advice that i can get.

Thanks

Mike :thumbsup:

P.S. Are there any other riders out there that have this problem? If so what are you doing to deal with it?

Get it done right the 1st time!!!!Go and see Dr Mark:worthy:

My coccyx starts bugging me after about a 2hr movie or if I sit for a long time without moving. When I work sitting (and I do that a lot as a business consultant), I notice that I shift my body position quite often. I don't notice it when riding. Other than that, I don't really feel any pain. It's been like that for years. It's not fun, but pretty common.

i had the same problem a couple years ago from repeatedly smashing my tail bone on the corner of the seat when it would compress when railing bumpy ruts. I went with what you are probably doing by getting the steriod shots.

the first lot of shots weren't to painfull and the doc said give it 2 weeks rest,

after 2 weeks nothing had changed, i went back for more shots which were way more painfull (probably jammed the needles in further or something), but believe it or not, few weeks later no problems.

I'm pretty sure the injections were called something like cellestone chronadose (Dr Mark may know what i mean).

I now run a taller seat foam for more padding incase it happens again.

I feel for ya.

cheers.

i had the same problem a couple years ago from repeatedly smashing my tail bone on the corner of the seat when it would compress when railing bumpy ruts. I went with what you are probably doing by getting the steriod shots.

the first lot of shots weren't to painfull and the doc said give it 2 weeks rest,

after 2 weeks nothing had changed, i went back for more shots which were way more painfull (probably jammed the needles in further or something), but believe it or not, few weeks later no problems.

I'm pretty sure the injections were called something like cellestone chronadose (Dr Mark may know what i mean).

I now run a taller seat foam for more padding incase it happens again.

I feel for ya.

cheers.

Thanks

Hopefully my last series of injections will work, otherwise i'm going to have to pay Dr. Mark a visit.

Mike

I don't hear about this problem so much in riders, but is is not really that infrequent in ordinary people.

With all that trouble, I would remove the coccyx. It really isn't needed for anything not that we don't have tails, and it is associated with a pretty good relief of pain.

Is this a pretty staight forward procedure?

Is this somthing that you do?

What kind of recovery time?

Sucess rate?

Risk?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your reply and help!!

Mike :thumbsup::ride:

Is this a pretty staight forward procedure? YES

Is this somthing that you do? YES

What kind of recovery time? SIX WEEKS

Sucess rate? 80% OF PEOPLE ARE HAPPY THEY DID IT

Risk? NOT MUCH. ITS JUST A LITTLE BONE ABOVE YOUR A$$.

Do you have a Thumper Talk discount:D

Mike :thumbsup::ride:

I accept the pittance that the multibillion dollar health insurance companies, whose CEOs pull down tens of millions per year in salary, benefits, and stock options, pay me.

Any deeper discounts, and I will be paying for the privlege of working.

:thumbsup: