carb question

I'd say I'm not the first person to think of this but here goes. Since the factory xt350 carb is so crappy, could you make a y out of some thin wall aluminum tubing and use rubber boots to put a carb from another bike on it?

yes. not sure what i'd use, but if i had a dual-carb motor, i'd sure try to single-carb it. thats the first thing i want to know when buying another bike

I was curious about a warrior carb. should be easy to find pretty cheap and parts are readily available. Anybody have any input?

No idea on the 350, but I know that some used the Ninja 250 carbs on the XT600.

I've heard a few times now that people have suggested using a carb system from Yamaha's 350 ATVs.....THEY ARE ALL COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENGINES

Looking at parts fisches all of Yamaha's 350 4st quads use a completely different engines to the XT/TT350 engine. So there is little or NO part interchangability. (besides their carbie looks more horrible than the XT's!)

I have only hear of 2 workable solutions... and both are still in project mode, and both require a lot of "adapting". personally I decided to make the stock ones work properly as they are good when you get ALL their issues sorted.

The other options... mod head to suit single carb which requires filling in most of the 2 small intake ports than machining in a larger cecntral intake port, and matching up an intake manifold and carb from a 400 (XR, DRZ), then making a new airbox runner of suitable size and modyfying to the airbox.

The second option is as mentioned use the Kawasaki Ninja 250 (EX,GPX,ZZR, ZX2R?) twin CV carbs. The person I know doing this has had to make a 10mm thick adaptor plate to the head since the carbs are slightly further apart and then there is other issues related to the fuel inlet pipe, cable location and airbox pipes.

But the positive with these carbs is the availability of Dynojet kits as these bikes are still mass produced and there is a demand for after market parts.

There may be twin carb systems you could adapt from other road bike parallel twin 250s as well, I haven't really explored those options. eg cb250, gn250

I was thinking of making two Y adapters from thin wall tubing. One from the cylinder head to the carb and one from the airbox to the carb. Do you think this would work?

I was thinking of making two Y adapters from thin wall tubing. One from the cylinder head to the carb and one from the airbox to the carb. Do you think this would work?

It would work, but the airflow would suck. I had a 82 CM250 twin with a single carb. That arrangement with one carb splitting into two intakes just killed the top end power.

Put a monster FCR pumper on it LMAO i would go with the single carb also its a trick upgrade that im sure would help alot

I don't understand what the issue with the XT dual carb setup. I have an XT550 with that setup and after I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs it works great. I had no issues with it. What is the problem everyone else is experiencing?

I know of guys that have converted a dual carb Honda XL500 / XL600 into a single carb by using a manifold off of a snowmobile. I don't remember which snowmobile, but it's out there. Maybe that would be worth looking into?

heres a nifty idea. I was thinking of putting 2 separate mikunis on my xt550 and use a 1 into 2 split throttle cable. Does this sound crazy?

heres a nifty idea. I was thinking of putting 2 separate mikunis on my xt550 and use a 1 into 2 split throttle cable. Does this sound crazy?

Not at all, this is how some bikes operate anyway - with identical carbs, rather than a single one with complicated second setup with vacuum etc. I know my dad's 400R Ninja (import from Japan) has 4 identical carbs, but I think one cable operates one lever which is attached to all the carbs.

You may have a hard time syncing them, maybe not as hard as an inline 4 sportbike, but still make sure they're synced and you'll have heaps more power than stock, as the second carb on a stock 550 only operates after like 3/4 throttle.

You've just given me the idea to try this some day after I finish restoring my dad's 550 (I've already claimed it as he doesn't use it).

You may see the fuel consumption go up, though will probably be worth it for more power. These singles don't use much anyway.

www.kedo.com sell carbs for the xt 600, maybe they can fix something for the 350 as well.. One problem, though, the catalouge is in german..

that website is amazing and i cant even understand what im reading but it sure looks like alot of hot parts for xt's. Can anyone translate their cataloge??