07 450X - ANY regrets? I need to know - be honest

hey guys,

Heres my story

I rode a 03 450R for a season and loved it, I only rode track with it. I have been riding bikes for the better part of 10 years not counting childhood...

Then my son arrived (he is two now) and from that event I SOMEHOW rationalized to buy a goonbuggy (4 wheeler) thinking it might be safer and I could take it easy chilling out riding mud and mainly trails.

I found out that most ATV rides included ppl drinking large amounts of beer on the trail. I guess when you can carry a cooler why not!! :crazy:

Anyhow I found that every big ride I went on has 4-5 times where a hill climb arose. The climb would be a joke on a bike but the quad would freak me out. There is no exit strategy with those things (in mountainous foot hills).

Fact of the matter is I think it is more dangerous than a bike and I don't want my son riding or worse fantasizing about quads.

This means I am getting a bike, (I have used the search) however I hear the 450X is detuned, too heAvy to fly... blah blah blah. I need the truth. Will I regret getting the X?

In some ways the X fits because in the next few years I will be teaching my son to ride so a bike that won't overheat when going slow sounds like a good idea.

Personally I fear the bike won;t have the power to roll on wheelies when ever I please, I fear the bike will bottom out on any little jump offroad.

I see a lot of you guys ride desert; no sand where I live, Alberta Canada. However probably some of the best riding in the world.

Hitting the track is easier for a short ride than packing up and driving out of the city...

Another reason to look at the X is the fact that we have a new TT which means packing the family up and going camping... this means I can combine the activity and work in a few harescrambles.

The X SEEMS to be what better fits the riding and lifestyle in the next few years, I just don't want to be disappointed, after all it is a totally different bike than the R.

If the mods are done will the engine be more like the R?

also our dealers are selling an 07 450X for about $7950 US , not sure what cost is on the bad boys for the dealer...

Anyhow lots of questions... and the dealer is building up a bike for me to ride after my holidays next week. That should help.

fed007

I don't have an '07 but an '05 and I have no regrets at all....The longer I have it and the more I ride it the more I enjoy it and appreciate it.

Thanks for your opinion,

Did you have an R model prior to moving to the X?

Would you say the X has decent flight characteristics and is well balanced?

Can you roll on wheelies in any gear?

AM I paying way too much? lots to be said for new and the latest model...

F7

I too came off a CRF450R (2003, same as you) and the X is a different beast.

The R got hard to ride after a wile, the jerkiness of the throttle was cool at first and made ya feel like you could take on the world, but at low speed (riding with the kids) it got brutal. After a couple hours it was a lot of work riding that monster in any terrain.

The X is an off road bike. I weigh in at 225 and although I spent the money to have Precision Concepts do my suspension, I didn't bottom out on the few rides I went on prior to that. Keep in mind I ain't no fly boy. I do jump things, mostly nothing over 5 feet high, but that is off road. I haven't taken my bike on a track but I doubt she would have any problems with 50ft tables, (or bigger) anything with a landing ramp. My confidence and skill is the limiting factor, not the bike.

As for roll on wheelies, not a problem. Open up the air box, jet it accordingly, gut or replace the pipe and you've got a wheelie machine that IMHO is better then the R because the power comes on smoother, no "hit" that could cause you to loop out.

If you want to spend the money on cams, piston, porting etc, you could make the X motor feel like the R, but I bet after just a couple hours on it, you'll learn that this bike is much more easy to ride like it is.

I've never been happier with a dirt bike then I am with my X, for me, it was the perfect choice.

Oh, I don't know what the cost is to get the bikes there, but $8k (US) is a bit too much I think.

perfect, thats enough to convince me.

yeah we have a oil boom going on here so supply/demand... I'll try to close a deal for an extra 500 off.

f7

Oh, I don't know what the cost is to get the bikes there, but $8k (US) is a bit too much I think.

$ 8K in Canada ..... yeah I wish!!! Try retail at $9200.

You guys in the US are spoiled :mad::thumbsup::ride:

Anyway, I own the X and with some easy mods you can get more HP out of it than a stock R. Plus all the power is down low where you want it. I have a Rekluse in mine, and with NO CLUTCHING, can roll on wheelies in 4th gear (just with a twist).

If you want some more personality from the X, besides all the "regular" mods such as airbox, jetting and pipe, drop on a G2 throttle Cam using the 200 Cam that comes with the kit. The bike will transform into quite an entertaining ride. Its such a simple concept, but believe me it makes a big difference :thumbsup:

Hopefully your not far from the Hinton dunes .... I used to live in Alberta, but now the interior of BC. Planning on maybe slapping on some paddle tires and hitting up Hinton for a day.

first day with my 07

i came from the xr series, have had all but the 400 and 350 and my new crf450x tops them all imo. perfect for trails but for my area it's very narrow and tight so i geared down some and rejetted/airbox mod and got rid of the little twitch or hesitation at slow speeds when ya roll on the throttle. i consider it a perfect bike for woods with definately haveing the capibility of hanging on the track.

in ny i paid 7300 minus a 200 dollar rebate so 7100 plus tax and other dealers have them even cheaper but wouldn't take my trade in.

I too came off a CRF450R (2003, same as you) and the X is a different beast.

Me three.... :D Seriously... I too had an '03 450R.

For desert ... I never have looked back. For occasional MX I'd love to have my R back, however... too many sites to be seen all over the country. Roundy round for hours is just... well... :thumbsdn:

Love my X!

Dont worry, if the whacko politicians in this country get their way- we will be right behind you in taxes and fees.

They will figure out some kind of "fun" tax or "earth use" tax.:banghead:

Dont worry, if the whacko politicians in this country get their way- we will be right behind you in taxes and fees.

They will figure out some kind of "fun" tax or "earth use" tax.:banghead:

Ain't that the truth.:mad::rant:

For me it's all about the e-start. Man I never want to kick another bike over. I'm too fat and old for that.

Me -four: I had an '02 R set up for desert. The X is better at everything except the cut-and-thrust stuff, and getting big air. I can ride it 5 times as long as the R, and at a higher rate of speed.

Me -four: I had an '02 R set up for desert. The X is better at everything except the cut-and-thrust stuff, and getting big air. I can ride it 5 times as long as the R, and at a higher rate of speed.

For me it's all about the e-start. Man I never want to kick another bike over. I'm too fat and old for that.

Seriously, Tom....I can relate:thumbsup:

Make that 5, I too had an 03 R, but I needed that green sticker, the button, wide ratio, larger gas tank, etc etc. so I got an X which I love(450 that is). Even tho I got an 06 R too, I ride the X more, much more versatile. Oh, and by the way, you guys aren't old!

HAHAHAHA! You're right crfxer....But the old thing is another great excuse...Or.... at least I though it was 'til I met a few people much older than I am who blow right by me.....

just traded my 05 xr650r for a new 07 crf450x a couple of months ago with no regrets

I'm just over here "Slumming" fron the KTM forum...I know this is a crazy thing to post in a Honda discussion and I'm not trying to be rude or out of bounds but.....

Have you copnsidered a KTM? The new 530 and 450 EXC-R's are supposed to be superb machines that would fit the bill on what you are wanting to do.

I have a 2007 525 EXC and it is simply the best bike I have ever owned or ridden. A jack of all trades that is just plain fun to ride. Loads of usable power and with some little mods here and there its all you could ever want and then some.....Katoom-3.jpg

My other choice when buying this bike a few months back was the Honda 450X....I liked both bikes alot but found that the true enduro and purpose designed woodsiness of the KTM suited me better. That combined with fact that it came off the showroom street legal and capable of doing 80-90 MPH up the Hwy to my favourite riding spot sealed the deal. That and the 250 pound dry wieght was all it tolok to get me riding team orange. Worth a look I say.

Nice bike, Chaz! Do you ride it much? Looks brand new.