Oh no! I've got Donuts!

So I've got a quirky memory and the following just proves it out.

Things are going pretty good, went for a trip to New Mexico last weekend to do the ADVrider West Fest and get some WET riding in. Tim and I are suppose to go to CO for a technical singletrack ride this weekend....

This morning I get a meeting notice "in 17 hours - Donut's - Megan" Not a big deal in of itself but I remember when I originally got assign this friday for donut's "That's the same day I have jury duty, I'd better get someone else to do it for me" Tell my boss "Hey I've got jury duty tomorrow" "Okay let me know if you have to go back on Monday" "Sure"

Then I get home to look at said jury summons... and I realize there's a big word that I missed GRAND. I got a GRAND jury summons... Well crap, what's that? Huh, dunno should be interesting. So I do some surfing online and find out that GRAND jury summons are for a GRAND jury panel that is conviened for 160 days... yeah FOUR MONTHS. You're expected to attend sessions two days a week for FOUR MONTHS... And sessions normally last from 8 to 5:30... We need to leave PHX (AKA hell) by about 4 at the latest for this trip to CO... and naturally the courthouse is downtown and is at least an hour trip... more with traffic and this is hell so there will be traffic...

So now it looks like it's possible that I could miss this trip ? and be called in to sessions twice a week until Thanksgiving... The actually Grand jury duty part sounds interesting. You listen to special cases to decide if there's enough evidence to go to court (L2F I'm sure you're better versed in this than I am so correct me when I get something wrong) But how's my job going to like this? And in the short run I'm going to miss a riding trip ? Oh and I don't think I'm up to pulling some lame excuse out to get out of it... although the thought has crossed my mind :busted:

But what's the likely hood that they'd choose a goof like me :excuseme::crazy::eek::busted: <----The stages of jury selection

Aren't you still breast feeding? Right?

Sorry, that sucks!! I don't know why they can't have a list of people who LOVE jury duty--my mom thought it was Christmas, New Years and her birthday when she got her summons-es.

GOod Luck!!

(ah the side bennies of signing up to vote!)

Tell em that you have dirt biked too long in Phoenix and the heat has killed too many brain cells...or just show up in your helmet and tell em its holding your brains together. Or say it's like a your blankee at home and you have to wear it or you'll get severe anxiety lol Can you be excluded for weirdness?

$12.00? Whoo Hoo!

I'm actually not, but I've written down on past questionnaires that I was a bigot and prejudice toward certain classes of people. I figured out to do this after having my time wasted time and again only to be disqualified, usually by defense counsel.

You listen to special cases to decide if there's enough evidence to go to court (L2F I'm sure you're better versed in this than I am so correct me when I get something wrong)

Nope, sounds like you've got it right! I didn't know they kept one impaneled for four months, though! :eek: Your job SHOULD consider it part of your civic duty... but no guarantee of that I suppose! ?

Keep us posted how it goes, I'm curious... I'll likely never be on a jury, myself, and haven't been in front of a grand jury yet. Good luck, and I hope you can still swing your trip... the timing here BLOWS. ?

Well my job isn't allowed to penalize me for being on a jury but I don't know that they'll pay me for the days that I do have jury duty... so if I'm off work two days a week that means unless I give up my weekends (AKA ride/race/travel time) I will be getting 3/5ths of my current salary... I could do it but I'd have to cut out a couple things... like riding/racing/traveling... of course without riding I can't brake things so I'd have to spend less on bike parts!

I'm sitting in the waiting room right now. Looks to be about 30 people so far and they're going to pick 14 ish people.

$12.00? Whoo Hoo!

I'm actually not, but I've written down on past questionnaires that I was a bigot and prejudice toward certain classes of people. I figured out to do this after having my time wasted time and again only to be disqualified, usually by defense counsel.

Somebody recently was actually prosecuted for doing that.

Well my job isn't allowed to penalize me for being on a jury but I don't know that they'll pay me for the days that I do have jury duty... so if I'm off work two days a week that means unless I give up my weekends (AKA ride/race/travel time) I will be getting 3/5ths of my current salary... I could do it but I'd have to cut out a couple things... like riding/racing/traveling... of course without riding I can't brake things so I'd have to spend less on bike parts!

I'm sitting in the waiting room right now. Looks to be about 30 people so far and they're going to pick 14 ish people.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any jobs can penalize you for it. Isn't that a federal law?

Yup, companies aren't allowed to penalize workers for jury duty. Period.

So just about freaked out. Voice came over the speaker telling us we were here for consideration for a 10 week trial. :eek: 10 weeks! Crazyness! But then someone came into the room to notify us that the "voice" was talking to the other room. Too late to say I didn't get the notice for sure.

Its interesting how they form a jury you know....when I was 14 I testified against a serial rapist and sodomizer Larry Alan Shroeder. I was the last of his 'victims' (He never raped me, he did bite me, rip my clothes off, and beat the shit out of me and try to drag me to his car, luckily I had had the shit beat out of me countless times by my brothers and this was no different) I manged to lay a good one on his face and by then people came, got his tag, and now he is serving three life sentences for 30+ related sex crimes, and linked by DNA to several rapes of children ages 3-10. ANYHOW!!!!! The panel was 80% women, and old ladies at that. He didn't stand a chance. They decided his fate in less than a week.