Moab Utah Trip

NavyNuke and I want to go to Moab- and you do too!

We're barely in the planning stages. We're thinking some time in September. Ideally we could get a group of people going and carpool up in a Suburban type vehicle (TMFX???) with a trailer (TomShell???) and make a good weekend of it.

If interested post up and we'll sort out the details.

Dustee? Shell? Mr Fox? Exmlb? Anyone? who's up for a road trip?

I'm in, weekend of the 8th, or 22 of sep. would be great for me

Sounds interesting....I will have to wait and see what happens with school, sports, and a JOB for me. Does anyone know the riding areas up there? Might have to post in the other forum to get the scoop.

What about Oct 6-8? It is a 3 day weekend,Tmfx gets new vacation days in October,and I won't be so damn busy at work. Besides, it may still be damn hot in Sep. I could probably take Fri off,and make it a 4 day weekend,leave thurs night and drive,ride Fri,Sat,Sun,return Monday.From what I have read on other forums about the area there are lots of well marked,easy to find trails.If we wnated to,we could even ride Moab 2 days and then head into Colorado or? My trailer could hold,what,maybe 6 bikes? Hmmmmmmm....:thinking:

I love road Trips!

October might actually work better. It would allow more time for planning. Navy will have to chime in but I believe Oct 6 is a good week for him.

the 6th works for me. except I have to work friday night. although may be able to get that night off to leave early with tom

Always wanted to do moab...don't think 2 days is enough....hhmmm

Oct 6 works for me too. 3 days instead of 2? :thinking:

Oct 6 works for me too. 3 days instead of 2? :thinking:

I guess I should ask since so many dual sport here..............Is this a dual sport or trail ride?

I guess I should ask since so many dual sport here..............Is this a dual sport or trail ride?

I was just reading some other threads reagarding that subject. It seems that "most" of the time the State Troopers in the area will turn their heads if you behave. Many recomend you be plated to allow easy access from one trail to another. Most of the trails we would do would not need trails. Your only concern is from where ever we stay to a trail or from trail to trail on surface streets.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463195

Here's a ride report from a guy who went there.

http://home.comcast.net/~rnewman34/moab2004/main.htm

now you have me yearning to go. damn you.

now you have me yearning to go. damn you.

That's the idea! :prof:

I was going up this fall to meet a Colorado contingent coming west. However, they don't have their stuf together yet. I'd say right now I'm 60% chance to be up there at least 2/3 days you guys are (depending on which half of the week I'm working).

get your schedule sorted out Ben, I should have the 650 all ready to play.

looks even worse than this now

P1010109.jpg

I pulled the forks off, and radiators today. but the new headpipe is halfway on. suspension getting valved. now I just need a tank, and the radiator braces/shrouds I ordered.

You guys will love Moab . The wife and I have been going there every year for 8 years and also rode there one time back in 1987 when it was not over run with bicycles and the town was really small.

October late September is Utahs rainy months . Last year we were there in October like we always go because it is cooler. But we got rained out from riding some of the trails .

Moab got the most rain in that one week then in the last 10 years it come down so hard ,we think it rains here in AZ this time of year. Let me tell you it come down big time . But one good thing was seing the falls it made from the rocks . Some of the towns people have never seen all the falls a heavy rain brings around Moab from the high rock cliffs .

Don't try to ride your bikes from place to place if you are not tagged . It's not the State cops to worry about , it's Moab PD .

We never ride on the streets we trailer to the trail heads . There are some long trails around Moab if you can do them . There are also places you can be and ride all day and are only in a 10 mile area .

We like to go out on the long 40 mile one way trails . There are some loop trails but you would have to have tags on your bike .

Anyway lots to see and trail to ride around Moab . Check out the internet for info on trails and things to know . There are lots of good maps and books also when you get there you can pick up to get you where you went to go . Good luck and enjoy Moab .

so looks like Tom Fox probably won't make it. none of us has a vehicle big enough, so what about everyone chipping in to rent a full size van/rv and tow bikes up on Tom Shell's trailer?

if nobody else steps in, I'll do the renting, just gonna need some money, and set dates in stone to reserve it ahead of time.

Ken

so looks like Tom Fox probably won't make it. none of us has a vehicle big enough, so what about everyone chipping in to rent a full size van/rv and tow bikes up on Tom Shell's trailer?

if nobody else steps in, I'll do the renting, just gonna need some money, and set dates in stone to reserve it ahead of time.

Ken

What about your race? We need people to commit,and maybe a new post......I am in. Done. That makes 2.

I just briefly looked into RV rental,we can get a class C,sleeps 6,pop out,that will pull a trailer for about 650.Trip would be about 1000 miles,and we are allowed to pull a trailer.Total would be around 1000 bucks inculding gas.May be a real good plan Nuke.....we could bbq,drink beer,no drinking and driving,etc......

Ok... how many people are commited? I know I am. Nuke? Others? What say we all pitch in a non-refundable trip fee into a pool. When we have 6 we're full. If the trip flops and no one goes all money is refunded. If we go and one person can't go, they forfit the're funds OR sell their spot to someone else. $200-250 each should cover it. At $250 we might be able to include food in that. If there is money left from the pool when we get back we can split it evenly. I'll put up $250 to show my commitment. 6 people would be $1500. That should cover RV & food easily. It might even cover bike gas.

Thoughts?

Out. I confirmed with my Colorado crew. I'll be in Moab at least Oct 11-14. May take the mtn bike and stay a bit longer.

EDIT - not my data but other options once you're in UT (if not renting RV)

Canyonlands RV has "cabins" with 4 beds (showers on site) for 56/night.

Super8 is something like 75/night (varies weekend to week) for 2 queens (watch for spooning!)

Condos can be found in the 100-250$ range. 100$/night gets you sleeping for 4. 250$/night gets you sleeping for 6 and a hot tub in town.

Up the river is 15$/night for 1 person (to 45$/night for 4/site) at a camp spot (in town, 1 block off main, showers on site, tables, grass, trees etc)