Some Advice please

Ive been riding just off-road most of the time for about 5 years with a ttr-125L '02 and have always been into jumping and motocross/supercross. And just recently bought a wr250f '02 and have always been keen to try our local mx track.:D

• What kind of gearing around corners(mostly 180' berms) would be best?
  • What is the best way to get through rutted corners?
  • What's the best suspension setup stiffer or softer (Pros and cons of both setups) and why for mx tracks?

• Any pointers of preventing arm pump for as long as possible??

Thanks for reading, any advice would be sweet!!

BTW im Male, 17 yrs old, 6 ft, 143lbs

Any pointers or advice? Anyone?

well in mx i feel stiffer is better, but fatigues u quicker. im usually in 2nd gear on my kx250f in tight turns, just hold ur lina and dont cross jump and u should have a good time:thumbsup:

stiffer is better because it improves handling, but most of all, you wont bottom out on bigger jumps.

• What kind of gearing around corners(mostly 180' berms) would be best?
  • What is the best way to get through rutted corners?
  • What's the best suspension setup stiffer or softer (Pros and cons of both setups) and why for mx tracks?

• Any pointers of preventing arm pump for as long as possible??

Thanks for reading, any advice would be sweet!!

BTW im Male, 17 yrs old, 6 ft, 143lbs

Gearing - probably run 2nd at first, the bike will pull 2nd from almost a dead stop. After you get going faster, try 3rd and see if you are faster and smoother with that.

Ruts - look ahead, through the corner and not at the rut directly in front of you. Keep your weight to the outside peg, sit on the outside edge of the seat and force the bike down under you.

Suspension - MX suspension is significantly stiffer than trail suspension because the impacts are much more severe. If you are too soft, you will bottom through braking bumps and off jumps. Too stiff is hard on the rider and costs traction. Expect to need to stiffen things up compared to your trail settings. Make sure your sag is set properly and that both ends are balanced and working together. It is a sort of try it and see thing, since what works for one rider will be terrible for another.

Mark

Thanks for the info guys.. very much appreciated

Arm pump- grip with your knees and ankles, lean so that the bike pushes you, keep your hands as loose as possible on the grips (practice this). I find that potassium/sodium helps a bunch- alfalfa tablets (check a health food store), bananas, V8 juice are all good.

If i was to upgrade my bike for more mx orientated work. What would be the best worthwhile upgrade?

(Within a price range of $50-$170. If its more than this price pls state the est. pricing of the upgrade you suggested thx)

BTW my bike is a WR250F 2002 model.

the best thing you can do is get a yz tank and shrouds. i had an 01 wr and the tank was the biggest conversion. you can not get up on the wr tank enough. also the advice to take off in 2nd is spot on. the 1rst on a wr is so low it is useless on the track. i know because i have done the same exact thing you are doing now. also do all of the free mods such as airbox throttle etc. that is another thread on thumpertalk you should read!!!!

the best thing you can do is get a yz tank and shrouds. i had an 01 wr and the tank was the biggest conversion. you can not get up on the wr tank enough. also the advice to take off in 2nd is spot on. the 1rst on a wr is so low it is useless on the track. i know because i have done the same exact thing you are doing now. also do all of the free mods such as airbox throttle etc. that is another thread on thumpertalk you should read!!!!

Sweet, i have really noticed that when u look at the newer models of bikes ranging from ur trail bikes right through to ur mx racers, they all have the tighter shrouds around the tank.

But i havent had a real prob with it yet...:thumbsup:

Personally i hated my wr at the sx track i used to ride it from time to time.

Missing a jump meant bottoming out harshly.

The pull was very smooth compared to my kx 250 but at whoops or bumps i rather have the stiffer suspension anytime.

Another bad thing at the SX track was the Wide gearing ratio.

Now at a mx track the WR would perform somewhat better. But you definetely need to stiffen your suspension settings. It will all depend on your weight maybe you will need to get stiffer springs.

You can do tons of mods to a Wr like changing the tank shrouds, headlamp, bigger sized rear sproket, or even modify your motor YZ like.

All in all you´ll never end up with a Mx bike. So if you are looking just to have fun just stick to a bigger rear sproket and a couple of clicks on the fork or maybe a stiffer spring.

If you want to get serious or end up riding track more often definetely sell it in a couple of months/a year and buy a mx machine.

It will all deped on your riding style, and type of riding you do.