100 lb rider too big for YZ85??

I have the opportunity to pick up a YZ85 cheap and was looking for opinions as to whether it would be too small for my 100 lb 14 year old daughter. She wouldn't be racing it, just scooting around the woods with her brother and I.

she wouldnt be too big. probably perfect

I have the opportunity to pick up a YZ85 cheap and was looking for opinions as to whether it would be too small for my 100 lb 14 year old daughter. She wouldn't be racing it, just scooting around the woods with her brother and I.

No, she should be fine (how tall is she?). One question, the YZ-85 has little low-end and likes to be kept spinning (rpm's). My son occasionally trail rides his, and its a capable woods/trail bike but you have to work at it. Its not happy putting around; so if thats the goal it may not be the best choice.

With the rpm's up and on the track it flies.

One of the guys who ride the woods w/us is a 26 year old, normal size guy on a CR85. The small bike works well for him in the tight stuff, even OK in sand whoops.

it has alot of power. mine stocked picked up 1-3rd

I had a CR80 when i was like 13 and 115 pounds and it absolutely flew and i was about perfect size for it. But yeah didnt make that great of a trail bike. The CR80 had no power until about 10,000 rpm's it seemed like (exageration) but i rode it in the trails for about 2 years and kept up with my uncles on big bore 2-strokes and 4-strokes in tight stuff.

an xr100 would be keen

The YZ85 is very snappy as others have mentioned. You can do several things to smooth this out but it goes from nothing to everything all at once. It's the nature of those smaller bikes. For tight woods stuff if she intends to just put around maybe a tiny 4-stroker would be better. If you go older there was a 100 that did ok.

YZ85 isn't a very good trail bike, especially tight trails, I would go with a 4 stroke for woods

Issue settled, After looking at the YZ we decided it was too much bike for her. Bit the bullet and bought a new TTR125. Took her riding last week end and after a few hours of learning to clutch and shift she was having a ball! - With the soft suspension, electric start, and reasonable power it has turned out to be the perfect bike for her. - Thanks for all the feed back.

A 45 YO 180 lb friend MX races an RM85L, the big wheel. He goes out and races the mini class against the kids. He moved the pegs and put on taller bars. Your 100 pound 14 YO will be fine. If she is taller and offroad riding is involved, the big wheels go over terrain a bunch better.

it has alot of power. mine stocked picked up 1-3rd

I don't understand what that means :banghead::bonk:

Issue settled, After looking at the YZ we decided it was too much bike for her. Bit the bullet and bought a new TTR125. Took her riding last week end and after a few hours of learning to clutch and shift she was having a ball! - With the soft suspension, electric start, and reasonable power it has turned out to be the perfect bike for her. - Thanks for all the feed back.

My son learned on a TT-R125. Good bikes. Keep an eye on the plunger choke on the carb (the pull button is up on the triple clamp, but the plunger on the carb on the TT-R125 can corrode and get stuck). Just unscrew it every so often and put a bit of lube on the plunger o-ring and screw it back down in the carb.

Once it sticks you think its working but its not and the bike gets hard to start.

When i rode a yz 80 i found it had no power in the low rpms which sucked for uphills and tight corners while riding so you would be better off with a 150 trail bike there about the same size as an eighty but are way better in the tight stuff