DRZ/SM Ride? Lets Plan One.

I've got a great 200 mile loop up here in the mountains of Virginia and would love to get a fun ride organized for this late summer early fall for the TT family. It starts close to Winchester at our home in Clarke County Virginia. The ride can be done by all levels of riders. It winds through the Blue Ridge on both dirt and asphalt roads. No highway ridingJ and you wont lose much tread in the middle of your tires!!! It crosses the Shenandoah River on low water and covered bridges past a State Trout Farm and we do 5 miles of single track at the top of Massanutten mountain that is easy to do on a SM. Also we follow the Shenandoah River on dirt roads that sometimes are so close to the water you can reach over and touch it. We will also climb past Mt Weather way up in the mountains that is the underground hideout for Congress and the President during a nuke strike!! Sometimes a jeep with men in black totting M-16’s follow you up the dirt fire roads!!! The ride winds its way into Luray on some of the most beautiful single lane asphalt mountain roads you have ever seen. Switch back after switch back. You will think your in Europe. The ride then meanders its way into the town of Luray where the best burgers and the coldest beer await at “Uncle Bucks” and after our bellies are full we pick up the skyline drive for the last part of the ride. If anyone thinks this sounds like fun or if any of you would like a demo ride on this loop give me a shout and lets get the plans rolling. I’d just really like to meet some of you guys in the flesh and this sounds like a great way to do it.:ride:

Doug, I may be interested. PM me when you have specifics.

What speeds do you imagine the single tracks have to be ridden at (min speed likely to encounter). Really cannot go much under 20 on my bike unless I do a gearing change.

Due to the distance, it would be a two over night affair for me (I am just outside of Richmond) or an incredibly long single day and I need my naps.

Well the single track is going to be slower then 20 mph. However we can ditch it and just continue down Woodstock Mountain into the town and do an end around. The single track does not add that much to the ride and it’s more about the dirt road/asphalt ride anyway. Besides if its wet SM would be a no go on the trails with rocks. There are camp grounds 2 min. from my house on the Shenandoah (Water Melon Park) and tons of hotels and B&B’s.

Sounds pretty good. Being a spoiled brat, I would have to stay in the comfy hotel. Might try to get a pal or two to come too, if the trip timing works out for me (and my friends).

Perfect lets wait and see if anybody else signs on. There was another member from down in the Richmond area but I forget his name? Do you remember? It would be perfect with 8 to 10 bikes.

Hello there, matt here with my sm, I'm looking for rides and riders. I'm down in williamsburg. how far to this ride your talking about? let me know if and when it happens. thanks, matt

Rob is his real name, Cannot remember his screen name. He is away till school starts, took his boys cross country with the dirt bikes and wind surfers. He'll be back in Sept.

I'll shoot him an email and have him look at this thread.

Hello there, matt here with my sm, I'm looking for rides and riders. I'm down in williamsburg. how far to this ride your talking about? let me know if and when it happens. thanks, matt

From Williamsburg its about 2.5 hours up here. The ride itself we can make it what we want if we do this. The loop I like is a little under 200 miles.

Thanks William on contacting him, Hope we can get this together.

Doug, as soon as you have a date in mind, let me know, I have a few pals in NJ who might want to come, one has a Suzuki SV640, the other a Yamaha XT 600 (might be incentive for him to clean the carb!)

I'm close to Winchester too. I might be able to do it depending on the date.

im intrested im in rockville md rideing a klx 400 sm wheels let me know when

hopefully i get this fcr carb figured out by then::banghead:

Well lets give this post a little more time then we can work out a date that works for most. Then I'll PM everyone the finial details. Looking forward to getting together.

Ad me to your PM list please. I may be heading for Snowshoe, WV from Windrock, TN soon and would like to check out your ride.

Thanks!

Andy

Well lets give this post a little more time then we can work out a date that works for most. Then I'll PM everyone the finial details. Looking forward to getting together.

I am up in Md just south of Frederick. I would be interested in such a ride for sure! (Depending on timing of course). Good way to put the new DRZ through it's paces.

I'm in Wheaton, MD, about 5 miles north of the DC Beltway. Please add me to your PM list. I will probably put MT 60s on for an event like that.

a

Doug,

W1, E-mailed me regarding your fall riding plans. Surprised you don't remember all our e-mails. Especially since no one in my family partisapated in that "War of Northern Aggression". I caught your posts on the contiuing saga of repairs to your DRZ ,I expect you owe your brother big time. I could come up for a muti day riding experience. Roads are great, but I've always liked to play in the dirt.

RideOn2

I remember and asked William to give you a shout. Sounds like you have had a fun summer. I've been stuck here in D.C. Hell. The bike (knock on wood) is running great at the moment. I'm looking at a few dates and then I'll PM all with plans.

Yeah, maybe RideOn2 and I will make the trip together seeing we live pretty close.

Hey!

I'm in Charleston, WV. Looks like you're up around Summit Point? That's like 5 hrs from here but I'd be willing to truck it over and camp nearby. Sounds like you have stuff that's similar to what we have here, but I'm always up for checking out someplace new. I just did 2 days in NC (sorta near the Gap) this past weekend.

Please keep me in the PM loop if one gets started and I'll try to show up. It'd be cool to meet some SM guys/gals fo sho!

Yes 5 min. from the "track of death"!! and I believe there are a bunch of bike track days in the month Oct. so you could get hooked up on one if you like. I stopped running over there its just too many things to hit and no run off. But they always draw big groups for track days! I'll PM when we get it lined up.