Acclerator Pump

A lot of people were suckered into buying the AP cover and the Power Now

blades for the carb. I you do the simple and free, O ring mod, air box cut, exhaust baffle mod and proper jetting for your area, it will run 100% better than stock!

Huge difference to improve the AP---but you can also get good gains with the QuickShot pump cover and the PowerNow intake wings, they are good products. I suggest trying the O-ring mod to the AP first because its practically free--you can get an appropriate O-ring from most bike shops--then if you want more from just off idle up to lower midrange, try the PowerNow wing on the rear of the carb. Enjoy!

Does modifying the accelerator pump really make that much difference on the 250X? Or is it one of those things you do because everyone else is doing it?

I only did it last week, but I installed the JD jet kit at the same time, and have not gone on a full ride yet, but here is what I noticed:

The bike starts much better, only needs the choke on for a second and it's ready to run, and there is absolutely no bog from the start. It used to be that I had to run the bike for ten minutes to eliminate most of the bog, but I would still have hesitation. Now, no bog, no hesitation, and the wheel comes up better. I have a revloc autoclutch so I really want to be able to at least get a few inches off the ground in third while hitting logs, etc. and now I have that. I did do the exhaust and airbox mod as well, but did not yet do any air filter changes.

The AP mod is easy to do if you are already in the carb jetting, but IMO I'd do it all at once cause it's a bear to get the carb off or just get to in, at least for me it is.