'Adventure' or modular helmet?

Don't want to open a can of worms, but interested in the opinions of those who have experience with different helmets.

Most of my rides are mini-, or not so mini-, adventure tours. In other words, many miles of freeway/highway (100 to several hundred), followed by gravel roads, followed by 4x4 track and sometimes trails.

I have been using a street helmet, currently an HJC AC-12, and am happy with it (fits my head, not too noisy, well vented, etc.). But I'd like something more open for slow speed riding.

Because I have to do a fair bit of highway before I get off pavement, I'm pretty sure I don't want an MX helmet and goggles--and carrying two helmets seems excessive.

I've been looking at helmets like the Arai XD (MX shape with visor but also face shield, so no goggles to mess with), $350-ish USD; and considering modular helmets like the HJC AC Sy-max (not sure about safety in a crash with the flip-up mechanism), $200-ish USD. Any experience with these lids, or ones like them? Thanks in advance.

The sheild comes off almost instantly on the AC12(I have one). Carry googles?

I have read of the modualr helmet being noisy. Not sure it would be a good idea riding around with the hemet flipped up off-road?

Don't want to open a can of worms, but interested in the opinions of those who have experience with different helmets.

Most of my rides are mini-, or not so mini-, adventure tours. In other words, many miles of freeway/highway (100 to several hundred), followed by gravel roads, followed by 4x4 track and sometimes trails.

I have been using a street helmet, currently an HJC AC-12, and am happy with it (fits my head, not too noisy, well vented, etc.). But I'd like something more open for slow speed riding.

Because I have to do a fair bit of highway before I get off pavement, I'm pretty sure I don't want an MX helmet and goggles--and carrying two helmets seems excessive.

I've been looking at helmets like the Arai XD (MX shape with visor but also face shield, so no goggles to mess with), $350-ish USD; and considering modular helmets like the HJC AC Sy-max (not sure about safety in a crash with the flip-up mechanism), $200-ish USD. Any experience with these lids, or ones like them? Thanks in advance.

I have the HJC. Great for the type of riding I'm currently doing needing to show my face crossing the border in TJ each day. Nice for slow speed riding in traffic. Even at at little higher speeds it doesn't pull too badly from windage. Certainly the solid helmet will be stronger in a crash. Worst case would be if the flip up part was pulled away somehow obviously. As far as trail riding goes I'm going to use my MX helmet. A flipped up helmet face would catch on every tree branch and bush in Michigan. :eek: Sometimes just the MX helmet visor can be a pain for that reason. :foul: If you don't live in an area where that would be a problem and you are not "Motocrossing it" in your off-road excursions carrying a pair of googles for flip up time might work out.

The sheild comes off almost instantly on the AC12(I have one). Carry googles?

Now there's an interesting idea--never occurred to me to use a street helmet with goggles :thinking: Appealing both as it's cheapest and goggles don't take up much space. Is there such a thing as an easy on/off visor? Maybe one that attaches with velcro that would fit an AC-12? (Seems to me the visor on my bicycle helmet attaches that way...)

When I hit the end of the pavement I already do a pit stop to air down the tires and remove the windshield, another couple of minutes to remove the face shield, attach a visor and put on goggles wouldn't be a problem. :thinking::thumbsup:

Now there's an interesting idea--never occurred to me to use a street helmet with goggles :thinking: Appealing both as it's cheapest and goggles don't take up much space. Is there such a thing as an easy on/off visor? Maybe one that attaches with velcro that would fit an AC-12? (Seems to me the visor on my bicycle helmet attaches that way...)

When I hit the end of the pavement I already do a pit stop to air down the tires and remove the windshield, another couple of minutes to remove the face shield, attach a visor and put on goggles wouldn't be a problem. :thinking::thumbsup:

Another idea is to carry those wrap around safety glasses. Several of my dirt riding friends use them and appear to like them.

I use a HJC modular with my street bike. The noise might be an issue for some, everyone is different on how they feel about this. On longer rides I just pop in some foam ear plugs. I mainly use this helmet for the ID check getting to work, just flip it up. However I will say that the AC-12 model would give me better peace of mind in the event of a crash.

Or something like the Nolan/Grex Adventure helmet.

Fullface with a peak that is vented enough that it dosn't catch the wind so much.

I like my Zeus flipfront.

I don't think you really need a visor for general off road riding - it would look better with one, but style concerns aside, if your not chasing a bunch of roost-throwing mx bikes around a track you probably won't get much utility from a visor.

ca sport touring does sell mini-visors for street helmets, but I'm not sure how easily they come on and off.

I used to use a HJC AC-X2 Static dirt helmet and a HJC Symax flip-up road helmet, then I got an Arai XD and pretty much don't use the others any more for anything.

I was also looking at an Arai XD helmet does anyone have one of these if so whats it like on the highway?