Time for A new Bike?

Last summer i got a 05 klx 300 r. Coming off of a crf 150 i was obviosly blown away. A year later now though and i feel like my skill level has outgrown the bike. I dont have the money to throw down hundreds of dollars for suspension work, carb, header, etc. So i have pretty much given up on this bike. I'm looking at a ktm 250 two stroke and have found the one for me. I've been trying to sell the bike for about a month and have had no luck except for one guy who wants to give me 2,200 for it (its worth 3,000). Should i give up and keep the klx or keep trying to sell it. (its been on ebay, thumpertalk, and craigslist.) :excuseme:

(its worth 3,000) :excuseme:

Sorry, but whether they be diamond rings, sports cars, luxury yachts, or motorcycles, any item is only worth what you can get someone to pay you for it. Unfortunately, the KLX is like a Dodge. Great reliability, good looks, powerful engine, everything a budding MXer can want. But it has probably the lowest resale of the big-four.

JB

But it has probably the lowest resale of the big-four.

JB

Lowest initial entry price as well. I bought mine for something like $3900 brand new. You can buy two of those for the price of a pumpkin.

The free market truth is sometimes hard on our perceived values but usually accurate. Funny thing is, they can change quickly... witness the F-Body 80's GM stuff selling used at near MSRP.

The real issue in your case is "what do you really want and what is the total cost?" If the KTM is your current dream bike then it's irrelevent how much you spend on your current bike as it likely won't pass muster when you're done. But if it's a cost vs. performance issue then consider what $500-$800 well spent might do to what you have and decide accordingly. If you kept the KLX then you would have to afford the KTM somehow anyway so maybe you can borrow your upgrade money on your current bike and pay it off in small chunks? Again, $$$ vs. wants.

I have two KTM's that my kid rides in my garage and they are quick, but maintenance hogs. I could spend as much in one season for maintenance on the two bikes as for what I paid for my '02 KLX. And I didn't have to do much to the KLX to make huge improvements.

If you come up with the KTM answer then it may make sense to take what you can get for the KLX and get moving, it's worth 2200 dollars to you to move it, and zero dollars to you in your garage, but they don't eat much sitting in a garage for sale either so you could keep using ebay and Craigs to post them for free until the right buyer shows up (a month is not a very long time).

Well said, Blufie.

Why does the kid ride the KTM's in the garage. Let him out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are... thats funny!!! :applause:

Lowest initial entry price as well. I bought mine for something like $3900 brand new. You can buy two of those for the price of a pumpkin.

Really... you must be a good negotiator. I got my 2004 out the door in Dec. 2003 for MSRP which was around $4,799 or close to that. Sold it for $2,700 in late 2005 after about 3,000 miles (but a lot of aftermarket stuff). It was about half way to a top end based on shims.

In Dec 2006 I bought a new 2005 KTM450EXC out the door for $7,100.

I don't think I could have got two KLX's for a KTM. They are different animals in any case. Each has thier place.

KTM's running close to 9k out here. It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it's close. I bought my KLX in Aug when the new years models were coming out. That helped.