Time-Sert Insert Questions...

Hello All,

I have to repair some stripped out threads on my oil drain and am trying to decide between time-sert and helicoil.

I'd prefer time-sert, but I do not want to buy a whole kit with 5 inserts, four of which I'll never use (for $115.00). What have others in the same situation done? Helicoil has a spark plug thread repair insert that is very similar to the time-sert, for about $35. It looks like it would work perfectly for my application. I am kind of leaning towards taking that route.

Any feedback?

Thanks!

Hello All,

I have to repair some stripped out threads on my oil drain and am trying to decide between time-sert and helicoil.

I'd prefer time-sert, but I do not want to buy a whole kit with 5 inserts, four of which I'll never use (for $115.00). What have others in the same situation done? Helicoil has a spark plug thread repair insert that is very similar to the time-sert, for about $35. It looks like it would work perfectly for my application. I am kind of leaning towards taking that route.

Any feedback?

Thanks!

The Time-serts are superior to Helicoils IMO. My concern with Helicoils is the fact that they are wound spring steel instead of one piece like the Time-sert. In my profession, Skilled Trades Machinery Repair, I've seen many incidents of Helicoils, that were not properly supported, breaking up in the hole they were inserted in. I'd hate the thought of a 1/2 coil of spring steel taking a tour of my transmission/engine. It's easier for Helicoils to lose support when inserted in aluminum. Over tightening is almost always the cause..... which in most cases is the cause of stripped drain plugs in the first place. Gotta love those torque specs. ?