Adjustment on timing chain for xr200....

I have recently bought a 2001 xr200 and it sounds like the timing chain is rubbing somewhere and I tried the adjuster by unscrewing the 10mm bolt and then the 14mm and it may have gotten a little more quiet but not completely. So my question is.. am I doing this right, and if so, then what else could I do to quiet it down, or is it even a problem to leave it like that? Thanks!!

The service manual for 2001-2002 states to start the engine and allow it to idle. Then loosen the cam chain tensioner adjusting bolt,(which is the 14mm bolt). It does not state how much to loosen the bolt but 1/4 to 1/2 is all you need. Then torque it back to 19 N-m or 14 lb-ft. You don't need to mess with the 6mm bolt.

It is very possible that your chain is too stretched and can no longer be adjusted with the tensioner. I literally just finished putting a new Powroll chain in my new to me XR200 an hour ago and the bike is drastically more quiet now and I had the same symptons as your bike. Not too hard to do and can be done with the motor in the bike.

Sounds like could be the very common with 200 engines stuck adjuster, and or damaged adjuster shaft. I have posted several times on this, cause and cure. I get the feeling most don't want to deal with the problem ......... really pretty simple.:excuseme:

The OEM (not cheap after market) timing chain, when not put on worn sprockets or guides and adjusted properly is fine. We run one on the Old School XR200R and with going on four years riding / racing it is holding up great.

Old School Al

I have a related follow up question:

I have a "tick" while running, and I now believe it was a badly adjusted intake valve on my 01 XR200. I first attempted to remove the valve cover to get a clear picture of how things operated in there, but even though there is not enough clearance to fully remove the valve cover I am not able to get the valve cover (cam cap really) to seat fully back onto the head.

Possibly the timing chain jumped teeth, but without a manual I am at a loss.

Could someone tell me where the indicators are on a gear/flywheel to line up TDC for the compression stroke?

Also, is there then a mark or a number of cam chain links to verify the cam timing is correct? I just want to verify the timing of the motor now...

Last, should the valve cover/cam cap simply just drop back into place, and should this be done at TDC?

One more, anyone able to tell me the correct intake/exhaust clearances?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I have a related follow up question:

I have a "tick" while running, and I now believe it was a badly adjusted intake valve on my 01 XR200. I first attempted to remove the valve cover to get a clear picture of how things operated in there, but even though there is not enough clearance to fully remove the valve cover I am not able to get the valve cover (cam cap really) to seat fully back onto the head.

Possibly the timing chain jumped teeth, but without a manual I am at a loss.

Could someone tell me where the indicators are on a gear/flywheel to line up TDC for the compression stroke?

Also, is there then a mark or a number of cam chain links to verify the cam timing is correct? I just want to verify the timing of the motor now...

Last, should the valve cover/cam cap simply just drop back into place, and should this be done at TDC?

One more, anyone able to tell me the correct intake/exhaust clearances?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Well, after more fiddling the valve cover now sits flush.

Also, I have found the valve adjustment info on here, and now would love to know what the timing marks are...

Thanks!

I also recently bought an 01 XR200R that had a noisy chain. I brought it in to the shop and they manually tightened the chain because the auto-tensioner wasn't doing its job. They said the chain has already worn into the engine case and they recommended the best repair would be the chain, tensioner and guides. Does this sound right or is it just the chain that needs replaced. If I do tear the engine down, should any other cam related parts be replaced since I'm in there?

I also recently bought an 01 XR200R that had a noisy chain. I brought it in to the shop and they manually tightened the chain because the auto-tensioner wasn't doing its job. They said the chain has already worn into the engine case and they recommended the best repair would be the chain, tensioner and guides. Does this sound right or is it just the chain that needs replaced. If I do tear the engine down, should any other cam related parts be replaced since I'm in there?

As I mentioned in the other Cam Chain thread, you will need to pull the engine. Once you get the head off its always a good idea to check things out. These little engines are bullet proof as long as they are taken care of. Not changing the oil or letting it run low will cause them to cannibalize themselves. The rings will eat the cylinder and the cam will eat the journals. So check these areas and then, if all is good, slap it back together, go have a cookie and go riding.

This summer I was riding with some guys that had been wrenching on XRs since time began... We started up the old '81 200, and it had its usual timing chain noise. Considering how little the bike gets ridden, we have mostly left it alone. I have tried adjusting it, as per the manual's instructions, and it didn't help. Both of them agreed, "Well of course that didn't work." To which I replied, "but the manual says..." They put the piston in TDC, (not running) loosened the nut, and tightened it back up. That bikes timing chain is slient now. Give it a shot, it works.

How do i find TDC again? :confused:

Seriously though.