Will lower gearing 'feel' like more power?

I'm thinking of changing the gearing on my 2001 XR250R to a 13/50 or maybe 13/51 over the stock 13/48. Will this 'feel' like more power? What I'm going after is the ability to lift the front tire over obstacles with just throttle input and less rider input.

FYI - I ride tight technical trails in Colorado/Utah. I'm not worried at all about giving up top end.

(For reasons I won't get into, I'm not interested in doing any of the other typical 'power' mods at this time - though it's already opened up some)

thx

-c

Yes by all means, do the 13/50, but maybe do the 12/50 instead, You'll only have a 60mph top speed, but she'll climb tha walls with throttle !!

Yes by all means, do the 13/50, but maybe do the 12/50 instead, You'll only have a 60mph top speed, but she'll climb tha walls with throttle !!

i agree

Yes,

I run 12/48 is So Cal desert. Very happy with my gearing.

13-52 is what I always used for east coast single track, but I have to tell you, I couldn't very easily lift the front with throttle only on my xr250.

Pete

The front will come up a little easier. The gear ratios will feel closer together. But you will notice the drop off at the top end, even if you don't care about max speed. Remember, any time you rev above your powerband you're going to notice it, even if it is in 2nd gear. So you will definitely find yourself shifting more.

It is a good mod but doesn't actually feel like more power. Feels like what it is: more torque. I'd do the mod because it will give you more of what you're looking for. But don't confuse torque with power. They are not the same thing. Ultimately acceleration is limited by power. So what this sprocket will do is shift your powerband towards a lower forward speed.

But keep your old sprocket. It is a $15, 5 minute mod. And if you ever find yourself in a flat area, switch them back!

JB

im going with a 13/50 gearing and non oring renthal r1 chain. im hoping it will make a difference and it will pull harder. im having trouble climbing this bastard coal hill. there is a bump right at the bottom of the hill which slows me down so bad,i dont have the torque to get it up the hill and i can only make it 3/4 of the way up.

The bigger you go on your back sprocket,the more "leverage" the motor has on the back wheel,I went up to a 52 on my XR600,I wasnt worried about top end,just adjusted it for the type of terrain I was riding at the time,and it would pull the front end up just shifting through the gears,I was living in San Diego at the time,and was riding at Palm ave.and 805,lots of rocky hills.When I got back to FL,I put on top end gearing,not many hills,just nasty wet woods,I could hit 100 mph,strung out, with the top end gearing.

48 to a 50 is a very small change. You need to change about 5 teeth in back or 1 in front to be really noticable.

i run the same gearing(13/50) on my 88' 250 and its a blast to ride!!! i can loft the front wheel at 4th gear by pumping the front suspension and leaning back.

I have an xr250L , the stock gearing is 13/40. Will the 13/50 work on mine with similar results? I want more torque, when I ride I'm in 3rd or 4th anyways, it would be nice to pull the wheel up more easily.

my buddy and i have identical year xr's....2000

He has stock gearing, and I do not....I ride his bike, and cant get the front wheel to come up in second....mine is no problem to bring up the front with a snapy roll on. both bikes have gordons mods

my buddy and i have identical year xr's....2000

He has stock gearing, and I do not....I ride his bike, and cant get the front wheel to come up in second....mine is no problem to bring up the front with a snapy roll on. both bikes have gordons mods

Great response - exactly what I was looking for.

BUT - what's your gearing???

I run the 12 in the front, it does feel like a little more power, but just keep in mind what you normally would run in 2 you will be running in 3 etc,etc

I have an xr250L , the stock gearing is 13/40. Will the 13/50 work on mine with similar results? I want more torque, when I ride I'm in 3rd or 4th anyways, it would be nice to pull the wheel up more easily.

that 13/50 will do great for your 250L. i once had a 13/42 combo a year ago and it sucked on the tight trails and uphills.

i just swapped out my 13/48 with o-ring chain for a 13/50 with non oring chain.

i love it!!! the bike feels torquier and gets up to speed alot quicker. i never used to beable to hit 6th gear untill now. i can sacrifice a little top end,who needs to go 70mph in the woods anyways?