Sport bikes & cruisers...

Strange situation has developed in my life... for the first time in... 10 yrs? I'm dating someone who does NOT ride a motorcycle... neither street OR dirt! :crazy:

Its different, but we really get along, so I almost consider that a good sign... heck, my ex & I rarely spoke of anything else BUT motorcycles, and that alone isn't enough to keep a relationship together!! Plus I keep thinking of FC & her fiance, Kris... he didn't ride either when they first met!

So, anyway, David is interested in getting a street bike. Problem is, I ride with a bunch of sport bikers... we go canyon carving a lot, hit the mountain twisties. But David has always dreamed of getting a cruiser. Actually, not just a cruiser... a stretched out chopper-type thing! :eek: Plus, he's been on a bike maybe once, twice in his life... I can't imagine learning on such a beast!

So I'm trying to talk him into a more modest, 'standard' type first bike... any suggestions at models that may satisfy his 'cool cruiser' urges, but let him learn? I'm clueless when it comes to cruisers!

I really wish he'd come around to the sport bike side of life... but, I suppose as long as he knows the way, he can meet me at the top of the mountain! :busted:

Hmm, Honda and Yamaha have some nice looking cruiser style bikes. and maybe once he gets used to their handling he won't be as interested in a chopper.

At least he's INTERESTED! Kris was already involved in a couple of powersports, so motorcycles weren't much of a stretch. I didn't exactly have to twist his arm. :)

One word....OldSchool!!! LOL!! This is a buddy of mines bike, he likes to restore older models of street and dirtbikes...

P1010211.jpg

HAHAHA!!! Would he ride something like this other one!!

P1010232.jpg

It's bad I know, but I was thinking Suzuki GZ250. It's totally marketed as a girly bike but at least it wouldn't overpower him!

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GZ250K7/Default.aspx

Then again, there is always the Schwinn Hope Scooter!!!

http://www.schwinnscooters.com/scooters/hope.php

Har, har!!! Ain't it a cutie!!!??? (I gag everytime I see it on the lot. Me bad!)

But I kinda like this bike too:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/S40K8/Default.aspx

a good rider on many of the modern cruisers could easily outrun most of the squids i see on supersport bikes these days. if he wants a cruiser, he should get a cruiser.

otoh, the stretched out choppers are total pose-mobiles and should not be considered motorcycles. if you can't get him to forget that idea, then you should just dump him and tell him that's why.

L2F, has he any motorcycle experience?

L2F, has he any motorcycle experience?

Didn't she say he's been on a bike maybe twice in his lifetime? That wouldn't amount to much! :busted:

Forgot that part. But honestly, I don't think either of the two smaller suzukis are going to do much for him visually, not if he thinks a chopper is awesome.

Forgot that part. But honestly, I don't think either of the two smaller suzukis are going to do much for him visually, not if he thinks a chopper is awesome.

Naw, me either! But at least they wouldn't kill 'em. Hopefully.

What about a dual sport or adventure bike? Those are fairly easy to ride, and aren't quite as ... ugly.

What about a dual sport or adventure bike? Those are fairly easy to ride, and aren't quite as ... ugly.

Honestly, if he doesn't like the sport bike look, he might not be willing to go for dual sport. He might enjoy riding something like DRZ400SM. Not quite enough power to kill 'em outright but versatile enjoy to enjoy and learn the basics on.

I guess the most important aspect to to tell 'im he's not going to be stuck with the bike forever but can trade up whenever he's ready.

How about a VMax? There's a good cruiser beginner bike!!

What about a VRod? Honda Magna? If you're going to have a heavy shiny pig, at least have on that has some get up and go to keep up better.

Find him a GS500 to learn on. If you find a naked one it will be even better. Get him started and then think about a different bike. I always tell new riders this is their FIRST bike, not their last. It's gonna take him a while to carve canyons anyway...the little Yamaha warrior is a cool little bike. If I had to ride a cruiser, it would be that one. :D

How about a VMax? There's a good cruiser beginner bike!!

What about a VRod? Honda Magna? If you're going to have a heavy shiny pig, at least have on that has some get up and go to keep up better.

I not sure if you are joking or not, but the VMax is FAR from being a beginner cruiser!

A good easy bike for just cruising around is the Honda Rebel (250cc). I rode a standard cruiser, Kawasaki Eliminator, last week for a many hours, and it is fun, but is only a 125 cc. Both bikes are relatively inexpensive ($2700-3100+) , good price if you think this is going to be bike for just goofing around on, and not cross country riding. I had a hard time going from the pegs under me (dirt) to the pegs in front (standard cruiser). If you are going on long distance cross country something more suitable would be a BMW GS, but now talking a lot of cash.

Thanks to all for the comments/suggestions! :thumbsup:

We did go look at new bikes the other day. It was eye opening for him, I think, and me as well... I never realized how LITTLE leg room some of the cruisers have, some of them when he sat on he wouldn't be able to turn the bars without hitting his knees! :crazy: He actually liked the standard position of the Yamaha FZ1, a 'naked' sport-type bike. Cruisers, he like the Honda VTXs the best.

Neither of which are 'beginner' bikes, of course. Problem is, he'll probably want to finance it, so he can keep his savings for emergency use only. I can't see recommending that he finance a new small bike that he'll grow out of in 4-6 months, not with how they depreciate... :excuseme:

I should mention, he's 6'3" and about 235#. He'd look (and feel) pretty silly on a 250cc street bike.

Of course, I don't want him to kill himself, either... but, he's not a 21 yr old kid that just wants to go super fast, I think he could learn safely on a somewhat bigger bike... just not sure he should go as big as 1000 or 1300 ccs!

He's sort of backing away from making a purchase for now, anyway, he started bringing up OTHER bills he feels he should pay off first... So I think I'm going to point him towards the MSF class, and see about getting him practice on my 250F... that way, at least he's less likely to get into trouble if he does decide on going with one of the bigger bikes!

I think the msf class is a great idea, they have a range not far from you. As for practice on the 250f just be sure you are willing to let someone other then you drop it. I am also a 6 foot plus guy so I can understand the need for a big bike but I would not suggest liter class for a first bike. If he is truly interested maybe you could rent an xr 400 and go trail riding some weekend once he has some practice on the 250 and the msf course. I am sure that my learning lots in the dirt has saved me on the street.

I not sure if you are joking or not, but the VMax is FAR from being a beginner cruiser!

Yes, I was joking. Glad someone got it.

I think the msf class is a great idea, they have a range not far from you. As for practice on the 250f just be sure you are willing to let someone other then you drop it. I am also a 6 foot plus guy so I can understand the need for a big bike but I would not suggest liter class for a first bike. If he is truly interested maybe you could rent an xr 400 and go trail riding some weekend once he has some practice on the 250 and the msf course. I am sure that my learning lots in the dirt has saved me on the street.

+1 My husband is 6' also and he had an FZ1 (not his first bike). Very powerful bike that might get a beginner in trouble. Most liter bikes would be a lot for a new rider, even if he is 6'3". What about the Vstrom 650? Ugly bike, but very fun and functional.