Coolant

Is there any difference between automotive Prestone and motorcycle coolant?

Thanks,

db

Probably the price.

:busted: Thats why I am asking :thumbsup:

db

It's funny, now GM is having problems with their red "Long Life" coolant eating head gaskets. Whatever happened to just good old Prestone? :) The minute you try to fix a good thing, they screw it up. Just use regular coolant and distilled water, and there shouldn't be any problems.:thumbsup:

I think its kind of funny how they sell "pre-mixed" anti-freeze with 50% water already added and try to sell it for almost as much as a gallon of the 100 proof stuff

db

There is some difference. Not a lot, Not a expert on coolants but I think one of the biggies is inti corrosion inhibitors. You want a coolant designed for an aluminum engine, also one low in silicates. That is about the extent of my knowledge. Being I use so little, I spend the extra dollars on motorcycle specific stuff.

It's funny, now GM is having problems with their red "Long Life" coolant eating head gaskets. Whatever happened to just good old Prestone? :) The minute you try to fix a good thing, they screw it up. Just use regular coolant and distilled water, and there shouldn't be any problems.:thumbsup:

It was all about reaching the 100k mile mark before the first scheduled service.

William: Now that is some info worth researching a little further :thumbsup: I just hate getting ripped off :blah:

Thanks,

db

There is some difference. Not a lot, Not a expert on coolants but I think one of the biggies is inti corrosion inhibitors. You want a coolant designed for an aluminum engine, also one low in silicates. That is about the extent of my knowledge. Being I use so little, I spend the extra dollars on motorcycle specific stuff.

+1

http://www.maximausa.com/products/misc/coolanol.asp

$8.99 for a bottle. 1.25 liters required so one does the trick.

I have done some reading on it, but that was knowledge I failed to retain, just not that thrilling to me. sort of like brands of brake fluid. I put it in so rarely, the expense to the 'fun budget' is so insignificant that I simply do not worry about it. Spend $8.00 or $15.00 every two years? Ok, One less Stra buck for me and the Mrs., no biggie. Getting ripped of is buying it for $20.00 and the next day seeing the exact same stuff for $15.00. Heck, I use Silkolene oil in my bike, over $10.00 a liter. Probably could find stuff almost as good for half the price. But I sleep better.

+1

http://www.maximausa.com/products/misc/coolanol.asp

$8.99 for a bottle. 1.25 liters required so one does the trick.

If your going to go into this kind of thing, you might as well throw in some Redline Water Wetter. I don't want to turn this into a "Which is better" shoot out, But in reguards to aluminum/alloy engines and compatibily.....find me a liquid cooled engine that doesn't contain aluminum or some kind of alloy. That being said, I think anti corrosion/anti wear/super slippery when wet/next best thing since sliced bread is just crap. Change it once a year, and you won't have any problems. Anti foaming is my favorite additive, because theres nothing like the evil foaming coolant! :) IMHO

I found this while researching...

In the August, 1997 issue of MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS and then finalized in the November, 1997 issue, MCN detailed accounts of motorcyclists that encountered severe problems with mainly their water pumps if they were using antifreeze (coolants) that were designed for automobiles.

"Our first findings were that the vast majority (98.7%) of pump failures occurred on bikes that had had their cooling systems flushed, or drained and refilled, within the past year. Secondly, of the bikes with failed pumps, 99% had been filled with automotive-type coolants, such as Prestone, Zerex or a house brand from some parts chain like Pep Boys. Less than 1% of the bikes with failed pumps had used pre-mixed Hondaline coolant or another motorcycle-specific anti-freeze."

They went on to say that if you currently have automotive silicate-bearing coolant in your bike now, get it out as soon as possible and replace it with a motorcycle-specific coolant like Hondaline Pro Honda HP Coolant.

So I think its best to use to right stuff. Cheap insurance. I just wanted to be sure. I also read Prestone makes a green "silica free" coolant for aluminum engines but it probably costs the same. Ok, I am happy with the results of this question.

Thanks,

db

p.s. Getting ripped off to me is buy $20.00 gallon motorcycle coolant and finding out its the same stuff thats in the Prestone $10.00 gallon coolant bottle !

A friend of mine works for a Honda dealership, they use the same coolant for auto and motorsport/equipment. It is Honda red too! :) Toyota makes a very good coolant as well.

If your going to go into this kind of thing, you might as well throw in some Redline Water Wetter. I don't want to turn this into a "Which is better" shoot out, But in reguards to aluminum/alloy engines and compatibily.....find me a liquid cooled engine that doesn't contain aluminum or some kind of alloy. That being said, I think anti corrosion/anti wear/super slippery when wet/next best thing since sliced bread is just crap. Change it once a year, and you won't have any problems. Anti foaming is my favorite additive, because theres nothing like the evil foaming coolant! :) IMHO

I started this thread just to be prepared and have some coolant in the shop for when I do some mods that require draining the coolant (in case I spill it or something). Now I am glad I asked cause I want to use silica free coolant made for aluminum engines. I am not worried about all that high tech stuff like the Evans NPG I came across in my limited research :excuseme: So lets not turn this into a which is best thread like all the ones I read before asking about, dare I say it, oil.

:cheers:

:ride:

db

Now that you mention oil..... LOL