DRZ400 Rider experience & comments - 1997 KTM Adventure

Hey Ya'll..................

Yes, I've already posted this on the KTM Site, but many of us ALSO RIDE several different mounts & have had experienced many different rides. So, I thought that I'd ask the same question here JUST IN CASE anyone can comment.

Now please don't suggest a different bike to me, because we all have specific reasons for the particular choices we make. AND YES, the DRZ is a wonderful choice too, but I am only soliciting comments.....OR BETTER SAID - EXPERIENCE with the 640 ADVENTURE, 1997 Model.

=====================================================

I've done a search on this year 640 Adventure within the TT Site & there's not much there, so I thought that I'd seek input from those that own, or have owned this bike.

What do you think of it?....really?

If I purchased this bike, it would get some dirt, some singletrack, but it would mostly get true dual-purpose type riding with a good mix of paved roads, forest roads, and whatever in-between.

I need reliability, some comfort (considering) and the ability to get the job done.

Parts availability is important too.

I can work on most anything having ridden & wrenched for over 30 years on all types of bikes.

So, would this 640 hold together for me...............or, would I do better with a Jap 650 Dual-Sport?

AND did I mention, RELIABILITY is at the top of my list!!

Thank you in advance for your great comments!!

HappyRiding !!

:ride: :ride:

I can't comment on the KTM but I ride with a friend who's got the Honda 650 xr which he baja'd. He commutes with it and is a very aggressive trail rider... he can't say enough good things about it and says it's been very reliable.

yeah.......yeah.....the Honda's are GREAT !!

Jim, is that XR the REAL XR650R water cooled Desert Sled, or the XR650L Street Model Dual-Purpose Bike?

It's hard to beat most any of the Jap Bikes, but I'm just thinking of doing something different. Doesn't mean I will do it, but I'm just considering it right now....and the LC4 640 certainly meets that requirement.:eek:

HappyRiding !!

yeah.......yeah.....the Honda's are GREAT !!

Jim, is that XR the REAL XR650R water cooled Desert Sled, or the XR650L Street Model Dual-Purpose Bike?

It's hard to beat most any of the Jap Bikes, but I'm just thinking of doing something different. Doesn't mean I will do it, but I'm just considering it right now....and the LC4 640 certainly meets that requirement.:eek:

HappyRiding !!

It's the XR650R I believe ~270 lbs. When I talk to him again I'll pm you and give you more details (though it might be a few weeks).

I'm also considering another dirtbike but I think I want to go lighter... pure dirt. Too many compromises on the enduro. I'd like to try hare scrambles. Problem is I've sunk so much money in the drz it hurts to think about selling it.:cry:

There have been a few problems with the LC4 engine over the years, mainly, but not exclusively early one's.

As I recall, clutch and output shaft bearings, and lubrication system failures resulting a wrecked bottom end.

Now I know all bikes have been know to fail, and nothing is 100% reliable, but I would worry about an early one.

Try a thorough search on ADV rider, as well as reading all KTM LC4 pages in the thumper section of the same site.

Now I also have a few friends with later 625 & 640 (same engine) LC4 powered KTM's and they have had no problems at all, and all get a thorough thrashing in SM trim :excuseme:

Neil. :thumbsup::ride: :ride:

I had a 2000 lc4 640 dualsport. It had a fantastic engine with power everywhere. Good,long travel dirt suspension,but it was better on pavement than dirt. Quite heavy,and would only turn well in the dirt with throttle ,flat track style. No reliability problems in the 3 years I had it. KTM has a Power Parts catalog with pricey,but good quality o.e.m. accessories and performance parts.