Looking for ways to communicate with other riders

I'm looking for a system to communicate with other riders, preferably one that goes inside the helmet so it won't break if we go down.. Does anyone have any good ones they can recommend? It would be especially cool if you could listen to the music at the same time, and have it mute out when people talk.

if you looking for a radio set up check out baja designs and the yaesu vx170. the set up runs about 325+tax but its by far the best set up. honda runs this set up in baja.

everyone i ride with runs it as well. its great to warn others of dangers and helps keep everyone from getting lost.

pm if you have any questions

are you serious? they even make these? maybe it's a west coast thing, because anything that distracting would just be dangerous out east in the woods. w/e floats ur boat i guess.

you can get some nice 12-mile radios and use the headsets...:excuseme:

Yup, serious.. they seem like they'd be great for desert riding, and that's what we do :)

I'm looking for a system to communicate with other riders, preferably one that goes inside the helmet so it won't break if we go down.. Does anyone have any good ones they can recommend? It would be especially cool if you could listen to the music at the same time, and have it mute out when people talk.

There's several LOW budget ones on the market.

- Motocomm, Pryme, etc. (headsets)

- Talkabout, .... (radios)

Just note, you get what you pay for!!!

Like Coop noted... Yaesu makes nice radios. They do require a licence to use however. Otherwise... it's $5K when your caught. The license is easy to get, and worth the effort. I too use a VX170 by Yaesu. I also have the new FTM-10R on my bike... now, that's a radio!

You won't get music on any of what you'd be looking into however. It's just not there for simple headsets and radios. Most of that stuff is made for vehicles.. where you have a radio, a comm box, and headsets.

if you looking for a radio set up check out baja designs and the yaesu vx170. the set up runs about 325+tax but its by far the best set up. honda runs this set up in baja.

everyone i ride with runs it as well. its great to warn others of dangers and helps keep everyone from getting lost.

pm if you have any questions

Agreed. I too use a BajaD headset (same as Avcom), and the quality is monumental over the cheap $20-$80 headsets. I mean... literally amazing.

... again, you get what you pay for.

are you serious? they even make these? maybe it's a west coast thing, because anything that distracting would just be dangerous out east in the woods. w/e floats ur boat i guess.

Not a West Coast thing... a safety thing. A Baja thing. A great group tool.... and because you didn't know of it, doesn't make it specific to only one area. They can be distracting at times, but the reward over the distraction is being alerted to dangers on the path or even oncomming traffic. We use them religiously... and anyone who never used one, is hooked once they try them. Great riding tool for sure! :thumbsup:

:ride:

We use the Firefox throat mics and ear pieces with the higher end Motorola Talkabouts. They aren't up to what the Yeasu systems are in range, but they still are a great safety feature, and really help to keep groups moving. I think that they would be just as good in the east as the west, IMO, as communication within a group makes for better, safer, rides. And to be able to heckle someone right away when they screw up has its advantages as well.

We use MotoComm headsets with motorola radios.

I have just the headsets in my kids ears (no ptt) so I can correct them, and my wife and I can talk (which way she is turning at trail intersections, slow down, et). She usually leads and I bring up the rear.

I am sure the higher end units are better, but this is a nice and not very expensive setup.

I have thought about doing this. But I could only imagine what people would hear me say over the radio.. :eek:

I have thought about doing this. But I could only imagine what people would hear me say over the radio.. :eek:

You just have to make sure you don't push the PTT button at the wrong time!

You just have to make sure you don't push the PTT button at the wrong time!

Well the ones I was thinking about where voice activated lol.

We use the Firefox throat mics and ear pieces with the higher end Motorola Talkabouts. They aren't up to what the Yeasu systems are in range, but they still are a great safety feature, and really help to keep groups moving. I think that they would be just as good in the east as the west, IMO, as communication within a group makes for better, safer, rides. And to be able to heckle someone right away when they screw up has its advantages as well.

we use the same thing...the throat mics are sweet

I'm a fan of old skool technology.....I still use hand signals.

1. If someone cuts me off too hard.....I use the middle finger. Be sure to use the left one as you don't want to take your hand off the throttle.

2. If the cutoff results in a crash, the finger can be replaced by the arm-cross. (Reach left arm across the body, bring right arm up across the left arm in a "pumping" motion that resembles a cross. This indicates a raised level of frustration.

3. Visor flip = whats up

4. Visor flip with head tilt = Indicates other rider to go first

5. Violent head shake (left to right) = now way I'm going off/up that

6. Shrug (bring both left and right sholders as close to ears as possible) = Indicates you are lost or don't care about the current direction of travel.

These are the basics and can be modified among different groups of riders, but these are also universal. If riding with unfamiliar riders, they will still get the majority of your message with surprising accuracy.

Variations on the signals have been used in other forms of motorcycling (GNCC, MX, and even road racing.)

In an attempt to standardize the messaging system, any modifications or changes to these six basic signals should be posted either here or with the AMA. :thumbsup:

A little off topic but...the ideal "radio" for me would be one that would work wirelessly with my ipod and then be able to switch easily to radio communication... speakers embedded in helmet. Would like this for my snowboarding helmet as well. The best you can do now as far as I know is use a bluetooth helmet, using a bluetooth cellphone (if you're lucky enough to be in range) and a bluetooth transmitter on your ipod.

I haven't put it on my dirt helmet yet but when riding street I used the GMRS-X1, they also have a bluetooth one out now although I haven't used it. This does hang off the side of the helmet which could put it at risk in a crash. When my wife was in the truck I'd give her a hand held GMRS radio so we could talk.

http://www.chatterboxusa.com/x1_bluetooth.html

I use the I-COM V8 IMO the best deal out there. I have tried the "High-end" motorollas and they dont have the range the icoms do. I use these radios with the Baja Designs headset kit. I have some friends that have other radios and when some of the guys cant communicate I can ALWAYS hear and respond when others cant. the radios are $150 with batt and charger and the Baja designs headset is 185$ worth every penny!

I use the I-COM V8 IMO the best deal out there. I have tried the "High-end" motorollas and they dont have the range the icoms do. I use these radios with the Baja Designs headset kit. I have some friends that have other radios and when some of the guys cant communicate I can ALWAYS hear and respond when others cant. the radios are $150 with batt and charger and the Baja designs headset is 185$ worth every penny!

Interesting... I know of a TTer here that used to sell the ICOM IC-V8 and doesn't anymore. Had problems with the buttons going bad (the power button for example).

I know it's a decent radio... but, it just doesn't compare to $120 for the "waterproof" Yaesu VX170 with charger and battery (in my opinion)

wow I never knew riding radios exsisted.

I discovered that my Nextel cell phone has a real walkie talkie built in that is good for a couple of miles or more. My son has one as well and we both set up this function and even though we couldn't get any reception for the regular phone or the direct conect, the radio part worked perfectly. It's not hands free, but add a blue tooth or even a wired headset and you got serious communication for cheap.

I discovered that my Nextel cell phone has a real walkie talkie built in that is good for a couple of miles or more. ............the radio part worked perfectly. It's not hands free, but add a blue tooth or even a wired headset and you got serious communication for cheap.

This is one of those... "hey.. this works great" scenarios, where it wouldn't work for me and my needs.

Everyone has a specific need for communication, and at a specific price they'll pay for it. Seems, most will by the cheap stuff... and be happy. Never knowing what their missing with the high end stuff, or... are they REALLY missing anything?!

When your too far out of range for a low end unit... your missing it.

When you never ride far enough out of range for a loud whistle... your not missing it.

Using radio communications on bikes is definitely weighed by how you'll use it and by how much you'll use it.

I use mine all the time, and at great distances when riding with large groups...(in Baja or even in our local deserts) or out in the dunes where base camp has a radio too. They can hear everything we're saying... and even alert us to dinner time. :thumbsup: ...with cheap headsets, radios or gear.... that's not possible in our situations and distance.