So i think i need to split my cases.....

Im considering splitting my cases my self. On one hand im nervous, messing with the clutch and the transmission and all that. i feel like a doctor about to perform open heart for the first time. but my friend did it on his 250r (honda 250 2-stroke quad) and said it really wasn't all that bad. And after adding up that a re-plate, crank, piston, gaskets, and bearings are going to run me north of $500, i can't justify another $500 (or whatever it will cost) in labor that they'll probably wanna charge me.

so.... what am i in for? i have a clymer manual. what tools am i going to need? how difficult is this gonna be? anyone wanna save me some trouble and pretty much say "no kid you can't do it"?

Ive never done it, but i seen a post on here that said, "I spilt my cases and all the gears fell out now i need a new engine". Id bring it to a shop.

Bring it to a shop. If you do it wrong(and many do) the cost will go up like adding an exponent.

having a manual it should tell you any special tools you will need. With the manual and if you are mechanically inclined I say go for it. When I was 16 I pulled my 1st cases apart. With the manual I had no problem. I have done several since then and never had any trouble. Just keep your eyes on what you are doing and take it apart in a clean area so you don`t lose anything.

How good of a mechanic are you? It can be a great experience or a big mess. Is there anyone that could help you if you have trouble? Do you have a junk motor to practice on, if you do take it apart to learn the procedure, dosen't need to be a KX just something to learn on. I takes a few tools, a impact wrench or a clutch holding tool, a flywheel puller, a puller to split the cases with too, sometimes a press to remove bearings and seals. If by chance you break a case or clutch basket or something you would be sorry. It just depends how confident you are in your abilities. I do my own so you can do yours too but I have done it many times and have a full shop to work with. I am not trying to discourage you but know your own limits. Good luck Ed

Read this entire link a few times and decide if you can do it or not. http://offwidth.co.uk/bike/crm_rebuild/index.html I read it over a few times and it makes the job easy with a black marker and sandwich bags to label them and put in the bolts and parts for the different areas of the motor as you remove them. If you can read and turn a wrench it can be done. If you start throwing tools in the garage walls then it's time to take a break.

i split the cases on my 450 and it was actually really easy to work on, the trannsmission isnt tough to put back together. as long as you label parts and keep them together, and have a manual it will be really easy. spending 60 bux an hour isnt somthing i would do when you can do it yourself and learn alot about your bikes motor and how it all works.

Splitting the cases is actually pretty easy.

I am doing it right now with my YZ125 engine, and the most complicated part so far was the shifter mechanism.

But some advice...Get yourself a pneumatic impact wrench and an air compressor. It will make your life 1000X easier when it's time to remove the flywheel nut, clutch hub nut, and primary drive gear. :worthy:

Im considering splitting my cases my self. On one hand im nervous, messing with the clutch and the transmission and all that. i feel like a doctor about to perform open heart for the first time. but my friend did it on his 250r (honda 250 2-stroke quad) and said it really wasn't all that bad. And after adding up that a re-plate, crank, piston, gaskets, and bearings are going to run me north of $500, i can't justify another $500 (or whatever it will cost) in labor that they'll probably wanna charge me.

so.... what am i in for? i have a clymer manual. what tools am i going to need? how difficult is this gonna be? anyone wanna save me some trouble and pretty much say "no kid you can't do it"?

You are at a "fork in the road". If you are asking on the internet about what's entailed in splitting cases, that tells me you are reserved, and question your skills if you can pull the whole thing off. Splitting cases is a BIG job. It requires skill, a good factory shop manuall, and a 20 ton shop press. If you can tell me you know someone that has done a case split before, and is willing to help you through the process, I would say go for it, as it's a great learning experience. But I would suggest at this time, save your money and pay a shop to split your cases. You could presumably spend $500 in parts alone, and if you don't get the crank pressed in properly, you will blow the crank a week later. Now you are right back where you started, only -$500 in the hole...

if you need bearings replaced and taken out take it to the bike shop. i didnt have a few tools to take some nuts and bolts out so i had the bike shop take them off too, and i didnt get charged much at all. splitting cases is not a tough job like people say, the only way you will screw up is if you dont keep your parts together or completely forget to put them back in the engine. if you plan on splitting the cases more often i would definately buy the proper tools that your manual shows. buy some assembly lube, i used pro circuits PC-04 assembly lube.

Rocky Mountain Atv sells the tools to do the job right, pretty cheap. You can get a case splitter and a crank puller/installer for 59 each. They are heavy duty and work well. You will need to pick up a flywheel puller.The only other big tool you'll need is some sort of press. I bought a cheap Hf for a 100 .00. it gets the job done. Then if you ever have to do it again you have the proper tools. I've done quite a few bottom ends. The only thing I send out or buy is a rebuilt crank assy. A good shop manual is a must , but you should have that anyway. If you put the crank bearings in the freezer the go in very easy. I also use the freezer for the crank before I pull it in. Biggest part is take your time . Post ?'s as you have them and we can help.

Look on page 5

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&page=5&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webTypeId=140&webCatId=22&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=

Any thoughts, original poster?

You are at a "fork in the road". If you are asking on the internet about what's entailed in splitting cases, that tells me you are reserved, and question your skills if you can pull the whole thing off. Splitting cases is a BIG job. It requires skill, a good factory shop manuall, and a 20 ton shop press. If you can tell me you know someone that has done a case split before, and is willing to help you through the process, I would say go for it, as it's a great learning experience. But I would suggest at this time, save your money and pay a shop to split your cases. You could presumably spend $500 in parts alone, and if you don't get the crank pressed in properly, you will blow the crank a week later. Now you are right back where you started, only -$500 in the hole...

I would have to agree with Polar_Bus, there are many saying its no big deal, and its not if you know what your doing. The dis-assembly is no issue, however when you put it back together, it is imperitive that you have the right tools, if not you have the chance of causing mis-alignment on your crank, then your back to square one. If you know what your doing you don't have to press anything, using heat and cold. I've heard of people pulling the cases together using the bolts, big no no, if you press it together you need the special fork to support the crank opposite the crank pin while pressing to maintain alignment.

If you have lots of money, or someone experienced helping I' say go for it otherwise take it to a reputable shop.

misaligned crank? are you talking about the bearings? or the actual crank its self?

im really not sure 891. im getting confused as to where my problem is and what exactly i need to buy to fix it. but i put the project on hold because im broke and cant really afford anything either which way anyway...

i just split my cases a couple days ago but you will want to use and impact to get the clutch basket off and KEEP TRACK OF YOUR PARTS!!! put your parts in zip lock bags and organzie them but it really isnt to bad but the crank splits on my kx85 so i dont know how it will be getting the crank out on your bike but it should be fairly easy.