Whats the longest you've gone without checkin the valves?

My 2001 is in the shop for the first time to get the valves adjusted.

We bought it 3 years ago, and the previous 2 owners never opened the engine. Started first kick, ran great.

We installed the 2 hot cams and ran nothing but leaded fuel. Everything was still in spec when it was first opened. I read somewhere here that the valves will last longer with the lead...:excuseme:

Anyways, whats the longest your bike has gone without a valve adjustment/top end rebuild?

How about that Yamaha reliability :applause: :applause: :applause:

I've been 3 years, I thought that was a long time but 7!! holy crap

How about those high maintenance 4-strokes?

Our '05 never needed valve adjustments in 18 months but this POS '06 had 3 not closing and 1 additional valve out of adjustment. I think Yammies quality went south in '06 with the change of the shallow oil pick-up. Plus we went through 1 clutch on the '05 but this '06 has gone through 5 clutches in 8 months.

Rich

The previous owner was adjusting his every month on my bike, but he's an expert and always bouncing it off the rev limiter. He rebuilt it fresh and re-adjusted everything to spec when he sold it though, and since I don't ride like that it's probably going to be a while until I do that.

On my 2001 yz250f i went until about a month ago and had the valves replaced and a new top end put on

i dont think mine have been checked in at leas 4 years. im gonna check them once i replace my exhaust cam for the 03. oh yah, my bike is running strong as ever!

Can you tell when the valves need adjusting? Does the bike act differently?

When the valves are tight the bike will be harder to start. Yamahas have always been pretty bulletproof and IMO their quality has most definetely not "gone south" since '06. They only problems they have had were with the valves on the '06s and Yamaha recalled those bikes and fixed the problem.

I never had to adjust the valves on my '06 and it always ran perfect and started on the 2nd kick when cold and the first kick when hot. A buddy of mine has an '04 250F the he races almost every weekend in 16-24 class and 125C (where he always finishes in the top 10) and he has never had to adjust his valves (he hasnt even replaced the topend yet).

I always kinda laugh when the 2-stroke guys talk about how high-maintenance 4-strokes are. Id take the oil changes, infrequent valve adjustments and topend replacements every 2 years of a 4-stroke over the almost constant topend rebuilds of a 2-stroke.

My 02' hasn't needed any adjustments.

had mine since '05 bought it new...2 months ago got the valves checked...in spec...had to put clutches in it recently...new wheel bearings recently...starting to feel a little power loss so im gonna re-ring it...for the next owner, cause im going to one of those orange 250 smokers...

yea what abaot the yamaha reliability

I love Yamaha, but I have to disagree with the '06 quality. Three of us bought '06's about the same time. Two of the other three have came apart 3 times and one is on it's third set of valves (original, recall and now a replacement). We only had one YZ250F come apart prior to '06 and it was a bored bike beating the 450F's. All of us that bought the '06's are high D or low C riders. We do ride probably 4 days a month, with sometimes running 8 days per month. At this point, I don't know which bike I'd purchase.

Rich

Check out the thread I just made:thumbsup:

I love Yamaha, but I have to disagree with the '06 quality. Three of us bought '06's about the same time. Two of the other three have came apart 3 times and one is on it's third set of valves (original, recall and now a replacement). We only had one YZ250F come apart prior to '06 and it was a bored bike beating the 450F's. All of us that bought the '06's are high D or low C riders. We do ride probably 4 days a month, with sometimes running 8 days per month. At this point, I don't know which bike I'd purchase.

Rich

almost constant topend rebuilds of a 2-stroke.

i have never had to replace a 2stroke topend because of power. i know blah blah blah i should because it might mess up the motor blah blah blah ur not riding it right... i know how to ride 2 and 4 strokes. only the most serious racers need to replace the top end on 2 strokes every season.

Tell that to the guys I ride with who blew up their 125s 2-3 times every year, whereas the rest of us who ride 250Fs and 450s havent had a single problem with our thumpers (all of which have SEVERAL seasons of racing on them).

IMO, 2-strokes are very high-maintenance.

03 and still havent checked (though was thinkin about it) still have plenty of power.:D:banana:

Not sure why so many of us have to be so divided between 2 & 4 strokes. Both are great, and serve us well. I was raised on 2-strokes (on my dad's farm) since I was 9 (I'm now 46). I now have an '07 WR 250 wich I bough myself for Christmas 7 1/2 months ago - primarily for the e-start and Yamaha's great reliability record. I stayed away from the CRF-X because I heard/read so much about their alleged valve problems, and would have bought a Suzuki if they offered a competitive 250F off road bike (since I've owned Suzukis for the past 37 years) - but they don't. If we don't abuse our bikes, and change oil/filter, clean air filter as scheduled, 2 and 4 strokes will work just fine. There's no doubt, that with so many of each model sold, the odds of someone having a problem is high - but we shouldn't "generalize" a particular model unless the problem is wide-spread. It is good to "freshen" a 2-stroke's top end, but it's not mandatory, and in most cases, will not cause a catastrophic failure. Likewise, it's not a "must" to adjust 4-stroke valves, but it is a good idea to follow the manufacturer's recommendation. My first 4-stroke was an '01 Suzuki DRZ400E. I had it for 3 years and did ZERO to the valves, and it ran perfectly. So far, my WR is working great and I probably won't touch the valves 'till December. One thing that none of us can debate however, is the FACT that 4-stroke aftermarket engine/power related parts (such as exhausts) cost twice to thee times as much as 2-stroke pieces. A nice FMF silencer for my '98 RMX250 cost me around $195, whereas a silencer for my '07 WR is about 300 - 400 bucks! That new '08 KTM 300cc, e-start 2-stroke is looking mighty enticing right now. Let's all enjoy our dirt-bikes and not take "sides". 2-strokes AND 4-strokes are both great!

4-strokes are still better......:smirk:

My 2001 is in the shop for the first time to get the valves adjusted.

We bought it 3 years ago, and the previous 2 owners never opened the engine. Started first kick, ran great.

We installed the 2 hot cams and ran nothing but leaded fuel. Everything was still in spec when it was first opened. I read somewhere here that the valves will last longer with the lead...:excuseme:

Anyways, whats the longest your bike has gone without a valve adjustment/top end rebuild?

How about that Yamaha reliability :applause: :applause: :applause:

700 km's:smirk: well thats how much the bike has on it:banana: :banana: :banana:

but some of those yamahas go forever:busted:

Got my wr 250 Nov 05, she has 7000 km on clock, valves have not moved. I ride slow technical races. Change oil every 300 km, air filter every long ride (60km or so). 7000 km translates into a helluva lotta hours. She does not use oil or miss a beat.