3rd Gear is Broken!!

It happened last weekend -

- i was riding up a fairly steep hill,

- the bike was in 3rd gear

- the throttle was fully open and the revs were high

- there was a loud bang and then the terrible sound of grinding metal

- the engine still ran but had no drive, the gear lever was locked

- i found large pieces of metal in the g/box oil

- i will post again when the cases are split - i dont think TT will let my post pictures as i would like to.

Anyone else had this drama?

My X is an '05, 11000kms, 220hrs from new.

I love my X but this kills me!

CRIKEY !!

I hope it's not too bad for you ? I have never heard of this before. You have done a heap of kays on your bike, but I would hope that it would do more than that before a gearbox meltdown.

If that is fully blown you are looking at some serious bucks !!!

I read a subscriber letter in dirt rider magazine about this problem. Apparently Honda screwed up on oil amount, if its full, it isn't enough, you have to over fill, not sure how much. This guy was really chocked, as his bike was new, no warranty and $1000 plus to repair. The guys @ dirt rider said he should always add extra oil, so it's his problem, but they're on the advertising payroll.

I can check and find the issue if you want (pretty sure i still have it).

I read a subscriber letter in dirt rider magazine about this problem. Apparently Honda screwed up on oil amount, if its full, it isn't enough, you have to over fill, not sure how much. This guy was really chocked, as his bike was new, no warranty and $1000 plus to repair. The guys @ dirt rider said he should always add extra oil, so it's his problem, but they're on the advertising payroll.

I can check and find the issue if you want (pretty sure i still have it).

Ummmm...Not sure if this idea's ever been mentioned on this forum or not Thanks:worthy: :ride::prof:

Thanks guys,

Dirty Chris, i will email you the pictures when i have them (I am waiting for a mate to get me a flywheel puller).

I should also cut down on the road wheel stands - but they are just so much fun!!

If i can fix it for under $1000 i will be happy enough but this going to cut into riding time! I'd rather ride than fix!

Are we supposed to run extra oil in the trans? :confused:

Why didn't anyone tell me. :prof:

Dude

All CRFX and CRFRs need to run about a litre in the gearbox. This is a fair bit over the recommended level by Honda. I have run my 450R down the buller road at 120km/hr and it was fine...

It's well known IF you do long road miles due to the way the gears sit so hi, 3rd gear typically welds itself to the shaft and then sayona gobox. The design relies on the sloshing effect of up and down offroad to lubricate. Honda changed the gears mid way throught 06 from memory

To the fellow Aussie guy that broke his CRFX - 11,000kms is pretty good dont you think?

I mean XR600s had gobox issues depending on how hard you rode them - typically due to heat though not things breaking.

I have two friends that had the same thing happen except in one of the bikes it was 5th gear that broke. The bike that lost 5th had always had a full litre of oil in it from the first ride. The bike that lost 3rd gear was run at the standard fill level. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Get 'er fixed and get back on the trail!

Is it possible that using the bike on the road is what did it? Seems to me, with a single cylinder and chain drive with no cush, there is a lot of shock load the tranny has to absorb. Granted, it's only 35 max HP, but just a guess as a 250 lb dirt bike just doesn't have the beefy parts of 500 lb street bike.

Ummmm...Not sure if this idea's ever been mentioned on this forum or not Thanks:worthy: :ride::prof:
Are we supposed to run extra oil in the trans? :confused:

Why didn't anyone tell me. :prof:

It was a joke guys!

Anyone who has been on this site for more than 10 minutes has no excuse for not knowing to run a full quart in the trans side.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

The transmission failures in the CRF R/Xs are due to a compounding of some of the design characteristics of the engine. #1, the transmission shafts are stacked vertically (as opposed to horizontally) to make the overall engine length shorter. A shorter engine leads to better mass centralization. The shorter engine also allows for a longer swingarm for the same wheelbase. When used correctly, this results in better suspension movement and control. The separate oil systems also contribute. There is no oil pump for the tranny, so the only oil movement is due to the climbing action of the oil on the gearsets. At higher speeds, the inertia on the gears is so high that the oil cannot get to the upper shaft. The higher oil level helps to combat this problem. Honda does not see a problem with any of this as their intent for the bike was varying speed (which lets the oil climb the gears more effectively) and the movement of the bike in a trail riding situation that will cause the oil in the transmission to slosh around, further aiding lubrication.

Third gear just seems to be the most susceptible to failure, with fourth gear not to far behind. I will say that of the three failures I have seen, all three bikes had rear tires with new looking knobs on the side of the tire, a bald center section, and a license plate on the fender...

• Like 1

Hey, eastreich! That's the best easiest to understand explanation of the tranny issue I've heard. The problem is fixed though in later '06 and all '07 bikes I'm told!(?????)

yes, because the new gears have grooves for the oil to enter