How much money is it?

How much money should I expect to pay if I want to set up a supermoto bike. How long do the bikes last when they are set up for the road riding? What bike would work the best? ( I was thinking of maybe a newer yz450 or KTM525). All I want is a cool looking sm bike to ride around on back roads. How many hours can I expect out of the motors and how fast will they go? Sorry a lot of questions I am really interested. Right now I ride a 2003 yz450 on the road, but its a 4 spd and wouldn't work well on the road.

You could probably put a 5 speed from a WR in your YZ . Usually YAM trans parts are pretty reasonable $$

A few answers from some of you guys would be nice. I am curious how much money your guys spend on your bikes and how long the motors last on the road.

If you wanted a yammy i would get the WR not the YZ. WR has wider ratio gearing, and you could proble gear it up even more for the road. I ride 2 XR650R's on the road and will be putting SM wheels on one soon. 300 miles on one and 1100 on the other, if you look at any XR forum these bikes are bulletproof.

The 450 MX bikes are fun as hell but will take more work to be road ready, and be less reliable than others.

As far as motors, you could easily get 10,000 Miles outa most bikes if there maintained properly. I have a XR250L with 10,500 miles that gets ridden full throttle in top gear on the road, and it doesnt ever stop. DRZ, DR, XR, SMC, and KLR will last you a long time.

If you wanted a yammy i would get the WR not the YZ. WR has wider ratio gearing, and you could proble gear it up even more for the road. I ride 2 XR650R's on the road and will be putting SM wheels on one soon. 300 miles on one and 1100 on the other, if you look at any XR forum these bikes are bulletproof.

The 450 MX bikes are fun as hell but will take more work to be road ready, and be less reliable than others.

As far as motors, you could easily get 10,000 Miles outa most bikes if there maintained properly. I have a XR250L with 10,500 miles that gets ridden full throttle in top gear on the road, and it doesnt ever stop. DRZ, DR, XR, SMC, and KLR will last you a long time.

How long will a yz that tops out at like 120 last if you cruise around at like 55 around 2000 rpms last? Maybe as many hours as an XR would?

How long will a yz that tops out at like 120 last if you cruise around at like 55 around 2000 rpms last? Maybe as many hours as an XR would?

was that 2k RPM's at 55 tested? And with what gearing? Ive never hurd anyone claim 120 on a 450...

450 will probably do 120 if geared tall enough, I know mine bounces the rev limiter at about 105-110 mph. However, dont get a 450 for regular road use, valve adjusts and oil changes will wear you out. Initial setup for S'moto, going full bore with new stuff, will run $1500-$2000 over the price of the bike. Pick up a Suzuki drz400 for instant fun that can handle a little more mileage. Or a KTM 560 if your willing to make it street legal and you want more power.