WR250 vs KTM and others

Who's ridden both the Husky WR250 and a KTM 250 EXC or XC? or even a bike like the GasGas EC250?

How do they compare? You don't see much in the Rags about the 2 stroke enduro bikes.

I hve a Husky WR250 (04) and a Gasgas EC300 (00). I've ridded my buddys' 250EXC. Hands down, My next new bike will be a gasgas. Smooth power delivery, lot's of power throughout the RPM range, 6-speed TRUE wide ratio (unlike the WR), I've had it to 86MPH with no headshake and room to go, measured with a GPS. Also it has the lowest maintainence of all 3 bikes mentioned.

Try to find a 250EC to try out and see what you think. Make sure you get to ride in some knarley, twisty woods trails.... You won't be dissapointed!!

Thanks glasseye!!! Wish I knew someone nearby with a GG I could ride. I used to have a GasGas dealer right down the street from my house but he closed up shop :( Wish he was still around.

I'm gonna ride my KX250 for another season, and then move up to a real enduro 2stroke. Maybe I'll luck out and find a GasGas EC300.

While I have not ridden any of these, the Husky WR250 was the shootout winner of a Austrailian dirt bike mag test. The test included GG250, KTM250 and TM's 250. You can find highlights of this test at the Husqvarna website.

Facts are though the 6 speed trans in the GG is a real plus. But you can probly get a current model KTM or Husky alot cheaper. There are some deals around on leftover Gassers if you search.

I've got a KTM 300 xc-w and a Husky WR 250, both 2006's. If you want, I'll sell ya my KTM. In my opinion, the Husky is better all-round! Motor, suspension, handling,etc. I just wish it was a six speed so I could beat my friends back to the truck even faster.:ride:

It is truly sad these WR250's and late model WR360's no longer have the 6 speed. It's one of the biggest things that keeps me from desiring one. :(

Only the WR125 maintains the 6 speed, which seems to always get a thumbs up around here and other places around the world. Must be something to it.....:thumbsup:

The Wr360 were all six speeds. If you can find one buy it.

Walt

The Wr360 were all six speeds. If you can find one buy it.

Walt

Seriously?

I didn't know that.

I thought the last year was like 99 that had the 6 speed. Darn...I'm forgetful.

I've owned 5 gasgas bikes and just switched over to a Husky wr250 last week. I must admit that the main reason was due to $$$. I was offered a support ride and just couldn't beat it. I really had no idea what to expect which had me a bit nervous. Within 100 yards down the trail I realized this was one serious machine!! I could not believe the motor. It is by far the best motor for off-road racing. Probably not the best choice for trail riding. Much to my surprise the bike is amazing. I do like the gasgas's for real nasty conditions however the fit and finish is not the best. Too many different size nuts and bolts. Expect nuts and bolts to sieze up (especially triple clamp) and break occasionally even with the use of anti-sieze. Most of my friends ride KTM's so I do get a chance to ride them frequenly. However it is usually when they are wanting to ride my gasgas and now i can expect them to do the same with the Husky. I rarely if ever ask to ride thir bikes!!!

Regards,

Dave A

I don't have a WR but a CR and have had a 06 250XC and still have a 04 250 EXC and I like my old 02 CR as good if not better than either of them....I like the suspension on the Husky better and to me the motor pulls harder...more like a 300. I like KTMS and Huskys both

I have a 2001 WR360 and it is definitely a 6 speed! Certainly wish my '07 WR250 was also. The lack of the extra cog is the only complaint I have with the bike. I also had a '04 Gas Gas EC300 (I sold it to buy the '07 WR250), the Gasser is a fine and capable bike. It does everything very well and very smooth, in fact it is a little too smooth. The Husky gives a little more thrill than the Gasser. It hits harder and earlier but it signs off earlier too.

Hi

I run 14/46 or 44 sprockets on my 06 WR250 for the faster rides, it keeps up with the 450's, 510's ect. I swap to 13/46 for tight stuff. Its a better all round bike than my 03 KTM 250exc. The Gas Gas is also a nice bike but the 2 year warranty on the Husky (Australia) is a big selling point!!

Hi

There is a good gearing calculator here http://www.4strokes.com/tech/ its good for calculating gear ratios, to compare bikes and or ratio changes. A HGS pipe gives my WR more top end..

I rode my buddy's KTM xcw300 yesterday. It pulls like a locomotive and is very easy to ride fast. The wide-ratio tranny was a nice change from the Husky's MX tranny. I found the KTM turned easier, but the Husky was more stable at speed.

KTM has Husky beat hands down for quality and they have endless aftermarket goodies available. Overall, I would buy the KTM next time.

Steve

I hve a Husky WR250 (04) and a Gasgas EC300 (00). I've ridded my buddys' 250EXC. Hands down, My next new bike will be a gasgas. Smooth power delivery, lot's of power throughout the RPM range, 6-speed TRUE wide ratio (unlike the WR), I've had it to 86MPH with no headshake and room to go, measured with a GPS. Also it has the lowest maintainence of all 3 bikes mentioned.

Try to find a 250EC to try out and see what you think. Make sure you get to ride in some knarley, twisty woods trails.... You won't be dissapointed!!

I just heard that GasGas is currently without a US importer. This is supposedly due to the current importer (sorry I can't remember the name) now has a "Green" initiative and will not sell smokers.

I don't remember the last time HVA did a major update on the WR250. I know they changed the steering geometry in 2002 but don't recall any major changes since. I've had a couple of WR's before I bought my KTM. KTM is always advancing their technology on their 2 strokes, I've even heard about an oil injected, fuel injected smoker that would meet EPA standards and was much more fuel efficient

The rumblings out of Italy are that they will be making significant upgrades to the 2009 and 2010 Husky two stroke line-up. I can only hope that this is accurate.

Walt

I just heard that GasGas is currently without a US importer. This is supposedly due to the current importer (sorry I can't remember the name) now has a "Green" initiative and will not sell smokers.

There is a Canadian importer if you are intrested but they are not as well priced as a Husky. I have never needed a 90mph top speed except on fire roads and the WR will still do 68mph (with GPS) The Gnarley pipe gave me 5 more mph

I rode my buddy's KTM xcw300 yesterday. It pulls like a locomotive and is very easy to ride fast. The wide-ratio tranny was a nice change from the Husky's MX tranny. I found the KTM turned easier, but the Husky was more stable at speed.

KTM has Husky beat hands down for quality and they have endless aftermarket goodies available. Overall, I would buy the KTM next time.

Steve

I'll sell you my '06 KTM 300 XC-W. Factory Connection springs(front & back). Race Tech Gold Valves. Pro Circuit Platinum II pipe and Type 296 spark Arrester. Rad guards & braces, skid plate, Accerbis hand guards. Tall KTM hard parts seat. Cash deal and I'll deliver it to your door in Alberta. $$$$$ I'll even throw in a spare air filter.:)

I have a 2001 WR360 and it is definitely a 6 speed! Certainly wish my '07 WR250 was also. The lack of the extra cog is the only complaint I have with the bike. I also had a '04 Gas Gas EC300 (I sold it to buy the '07 WR250), the Gasser is a fine and capable bike. It does everything very well and very smooth, in fact it is a little too smooth. The Husky gives a little more thrill than the Gasser. It hits harder and earlier but it signs off earlier too.

Couldm't have said it better myself. But still, if I had to let one of my bikes go, I'd keep the EC300 over the WR250.