Cycle or Treadmill

I started doing cycle but my heart beat is only hitting about 145 but when I treadmill I can hit around 160-170. I think I should train on treadmill to build endurance for mx riding because my heart beat will hit 160 all day when riding my KX450 hard.

What do you suggest Doc?

the bicycle is better training for MX. Keep raising the resistance, and keep up your RPMs. Guaranteed, you will get your heart rate up.

Inside exercise?WHAT!!! Get outside. Start with 5 miles.Then 10.Then 15.Then 20.At least 5 days a week. You don't need expensive bike.Heck I started on Wal-Mart special. You'll find good bicycling quite addicting. You'll find endurance on your dirtbike will increase dramatically over very short order. Inside exercise is complete B.S. You have no real goals.No air circulation.Suck down the clean air,let the sweat run down your socks. What better way to simulate good hard-core motorcycleing......go bicycling.

Ditto on doing your workouts outside. Besides being much less boring, you will help your body get used to racing in the heat and humidity.

Get a road bike. Road biking is better training because you can ALWAYS be pedaling. You can keep steadier rides and a steady cadence because you don’t have the obstacles you do mountain biking. One other thing I like about my road bike is I can just leave the house to ride it where the mountain bike I had to drive/pedal to woods.

One advantage over running is you can keep an easier pace for a longer period of time helping you build up a good base.

For motocross I believe cycling is better because it’s lower impact. We beat the crap out of ourselves on the track and need as much recovery time as possible off the track. No sense in beating yourself up running.

As for heart rates... climbing a hill on the road bike you'll see yourself over 170. Its as hard as you want it to be. Heart rates are most valuable when you know at what HR you hit your lactic threshold (LT) From that you can base your training. We can get a general idea of exertion from knowing our average HR but the most valuable measure is wattage.

One other note as to high heart rates when riding motocross. Yes you exert yourself but other factors like stress and adrenalin play a roll in the high HR's we see when riding. I guarantee that if you are pedaling to a 170HR its going to be more tiring than being at a 170HR on the dirt bike. No one is saying this.. but Its kind of tough to make the call what’s harder like MX or road biking ect ect.. Go race some fast guys on the road bike and you'll see they can put on the pain too :) The thing that makes MX so hard is you need to still remain coordinated where as its pretty brainless to pedal.

If you are going to buy a bike you can pick up a good used one on ebay. I’d say make sure it has at least 105 series components. GET PROPERLY SIZED. Expect to spend at least 800 dollars. Trust me you’ll love it.

Something like this. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=Specialized+allez&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=06073&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3&fsoo=2

Get a road bike. Road biking is better training because you can ALWAYS be pedaling. You can keep steadier rides and a steady cadence because you don’t have the obstacles you do mountain biking. One other thing I like about my road bike is I can just leave the house to ride it where the mountain bike I had to drive/pedal to woods.

One advantage over running is you can keep an easier pace for a longer period of time helping you build up a good base.

For motocross I believe cycling is better because it’s lower impact. We beat the crap out of ourselves on the track and need as much recovery time as possible off the track. No sense in beating yourself up running.

As for heart rates... climbing a hill on the road bike you'll see yourself over 170. Its as hard as you want it to be. Heart rates are most valuable when you know at what HR you hit your lactic threshold (LT) From that you can base your training. We can get a general idea of exertion from knowing our average HR but the most valuable measure is wattage.

One other note as to high heart rates when riding motocross. Yes you exert yourself but other factors like stress and adrenalin play a roll in the high HR's we see when riding. I guarantee that if you are pedaling to a 170HR its going to be more tiring than being at a 170HR on the dirt bike. No one is saying this.. but Its kind of tough to make the call what’s harder like MX or road biking ect ect.. Go race some fast guys on the road bike and you'll see they can put on the pain too :) The thing that makes MX so hard is you need to still remain coordinated where as its pretty brainless to pedal.

If you are going to buy a bike you can pick up a good used one on ebay. I’d say make sure it has at least 105 series components. GET PROPERLY SIZED. Expect to spend at least 800 dollars. Trust me you’ll love it.

Something like this. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=Specialized+allez&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=06073&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3&fsoo=2

Thanks. Man this MX racing is getting more expensive! :ride:

the bicycle is better training for MX. Keep raising the resistance, and keep up your RPMs. Guaranteed, you will get your heart rate up.

x2.

I have no problem getting my heart rate up. I shoot for 100-110 RPMs for interval training. That's a sure fire way to get my heart rate up and over 170.

I started doing cycle but my heart beat is only hitting about 145

pedal faster. as jat250wr says, shoot for higher rpms. at least 90, and 100 is good. too many people just crank up the resistance and pedal 60-70 rpm. that's harder on your knees and harder to get your heart rate up.

anyway, 145 is at the high end of where you want to be for aerobic fitness training.

I started doing cycle but my heart beat is only hitting about 145 but when I treadmill I can hit around 160-170. I think I should train on treadmill to build endurance for mx riding because my heart beat will hit 160 all day when riding my KX450 hard.

What do you suggest Doc?

Drop the Bicycle!!! How many times do you pedal your KX 450 around a race track? Do you run next to your bike? I didn't think so. If you want a truly moto specific work out that pushes you to anerobic and simulates total exhaustion like on the final last 3 laps of a MOTO?

ROW with a Concept2 and alternate with the Transformx moto endurance system. bicycling is a fantastic workout and so is running, but it is not MOTOCROSS specific. Think about the motion of Rowing and it makes total sense.

Rob HIll

Man and Machine

Rob, take this with offense if you'd like...but its getting old hearing you chime in with a commercial whenever anyone asks about a work out. I think you'll turn more people OFF than interest them...just my $.02.

bicycling is a fantastic workout and so is running, but it is not MOTOCROSS specific. Think about the motion of Rowing and it makes total sense.

ok, i thought about the motion of rowing, and it doesn't make sense to me. sorry.

bicycling is good for motorcyclists, because it's a great leg and low-back workout, and because it's fun. rowing is not fun. rowing is lame. mmmkay?

For what its worth, none of the mentioned activities is MX like. However, cross training using the all the tools and equipment stated would be a good starting point. Then throw in some other exercises with some circut training and I think you will be ready to keep up with anyone. If you train alone, a good motivator for me was to do a little better than I did the last time, either one more rep or 5 seconds faster or ran or peddled a little longer. Whatever the case I just tried to beat what I did the last time out.

Dr. Mark. You must have steel willpower! You always make the suggestion of an hour a day on an exercise bike. (I respect that) It must be this kind of willpower that got you through medical school and building your practice. But, for me, I could only do an hour a day on an indoor bike, if my life or kids absolutely depended upon it.

Like the other poster says, I like to ride outdoors and other variety such as playing soccer, running etc. Plus I think these take more balance and coordination which helps translate to the dirt bike.

Stationary bike 30 - 60 minutes a day like Doc Mark says. In the garage with Sirius 29 jammin'. All punk, all the time. Keep up with the cadence of the songs!

hahahah No way... Boombox 34 :) You cant go wrong with anything on Sirius I love it!