Clutch Slave Going Dead

Need couple testers, Think might have come up with a fix. Had some quad rings made for the 04-07 Husqvarna TE, TC DOHC clutch slave cylinders need couple people who have had or having problems loosing pressure. Don't want new, only ones that have had problems prefer if the slave has lots of use and been a problem or is worn. If don't know how to bleed the system or install the o-ring won't do me any good,so no offence but don't respond Working great for me but I'd like some extra testing,different riding areas areas ,and styles. Just PM me and I'll send a few out as they are not really cheap so can't sponsor everyone. Later George

Need couple testers, Think might have come up with a fix. Had some quad rings made for the 04-07 Husqvarna TE, TC DOHC clutch slave cylinders need couple people who have had or having problems loosing pressure. Don't want new, only ones that have had problems prefer if the slave has lots of use and been a problem or is worn. If don't know how to bleed the system or install the o-ring won't do me any good,so no offence but don't respond Working great for me but I'd like some extra testing,different riding areas areas ,and styles. Just PM me and I'll send a few out as they are not really cheap so can't sponsor everyone. Later George

Call me George. I have the perfect guinea pig.

Cowboy

George..sent you a PM. I can say I have some experience with the clutch issue and have at least on extra used slave that failed the previous fix sitting on the bench as we speak.?

I can safely say I do know how to pull the o-ring

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517010&page=2

BTW..I'd even be willing to pay for it:thumbsup:

George..sent you a PM. I can say I have some experience with the clutch issue and have at least on extra used slave that failed the previous fix sitting on the bench as we speak.?

How much is a regular new slave? & at what kind of mileage are people having issues?

How much is a regular new slave? & at what kind of mileage are people having issues?

I think the slaves run around 150 USD. I don't think it has anything to do with mileage..more of a use and heat cycle deal. Repeated very high temps and loads of clutch use. My 06 450 has over a hundred hours on it..mostly at lower pace and lots of clutch. It has been suggested the high temps cause the rubber o-ring to shrink slightly or become less resilient letting the oil bypass, hence the failures.

I really abuse my clutch and crawl the bike. I tend to overheat. I also know I slip the clutch a lot and that tends to create even more wear and tear.

What does this all mean?

Don't try to do trials type riding on your 450 and your clutch will likely last a long long time. ?

• 3 weeks later...

The issue is heat related and wear related. When mine failed and i took the o-ring off the slave it was hard and had a flat spot around the outside where it slides against the ID of the hole the piston rides in. Replacing it fixed mine.

George sent us 2 o-rings to try. We currently are running them in "clutch hammering fast guy bikes" Spent all Sat. afternoon testing. We should have some long term results soon. So far so good! Thanks George.

Jeff Tasky

I too received a test O ring. It's going in today.. I have been know for heat issues and clutch abuse..As Ride pointed out it's a heat issue. My OEM O ring on my first clutch slave was hard as a rock and no longer round. My "temp fix" with another "simple" O ring did not last long just as Baja Husky said it wouldn't.

I'm off to the high des next weekend, loads of slow rocky trails and loads of clutch work..like this:

bill-2.jpg

Should be a good testing ground for me! I'll keep everyone posted once I contact George with my results. ?

Once again..Thanks George.

as coincidence would have it ..i was getting my te250 ready for a two day enduro this weekend and when i checked the clutch fluid level it was nearly dry, so i topped it up and tried to bleed it but kept getting air in the system.

so i checked the slave and the fluid was leaking past the o ring, i replaced it with one i had from something else, it was 2mm rather than the 1.5mm (approx)one that came off and slightly smaller so when it stretched on it was a close enough fit.

i have to admit the clutch pull was stiffer at first but after a two day hammering it hasnt lost a drop, and is back to regular feel or maybe my hand muscles have grown.

but if the only issue is just the o ring wearing down surely just swapping it over or replacing it prior to a race is a simple, quick (10 minute job) task to carry out ?

or maybe i am missing the point completely?:busted: that has happened before....

No just trying to build better mouse trap is all. In our type of racing can't have any type of failures just felt the need to address this issue just one more item to check off the list. And make available for thoes who need it. Later George

We use Viton O-rings at work for high heat applications. The standard black rubber o-rings tend to dry out and get brittle too fast.

I used an expensive O ring poached from a jag transmission rebuild kit..I doubt it was a cheapo O ring. I seem to remember being given some reds and some greens at the time...and no, not pills! ? Even so..did not last..less than 100 miles of single track and faded fast without warning,,?

The Uptite O rings are like the X-rings in chains only the "X" develops into to parallel flat, wide wiping surfaces at the top of the "X"...make sense?

Think of it as a doubled up O ring- side by side deal and of high temp material..seems brilliant when you gander the piece. Double the wipe and twice the life. It can deal with rougher surfaces and slight deviations from true round better than a single wipe O ring.

Is there a part # for the stock "O" ring?

Once the stock O-rings leak and the slave leaks, the only option to date was an entire new slave at around 150 USD..Replacing the O ring only buys you a few rides and then fails very fast once again. It seems as the O ring fails it damages the cylinder in the slave now with imperfections any other O ring won't cut it long. I tried, Baja Husky tried.

Once the stock O-rings leak and the slave leaks, the only option to date was an entire new slave at around 150 USD..Replacing the O ring only buys you a few rides and then fails very fast once again. It seems as the O ring fails it damages the cylinder in the slave now with imperfections any other O ring won't cut it long. I tried, Baja Husky tried.

I'm just wondering because I can get silicone "O" rings from work. Thinking about changing it before I get an "O" ring problem. My issue isn't from excessive clutch use, actually just the opposite, after cruising down the road at anything above 50 mph (No clutch use at all) when it comes time to use it, theres nothing. I read a post from DaveHopkins that mentioned excessive crankcase pressure building up & pushing the slave from the inside, forcing fluid up the line from a pinched crankcase evac line, mine was pinched, & rerouted it & will find out today if that was the problem.

Around town with all the stops & going through the gears, it works beautifully