2004 crf100 mod question...

Okay guys, my brothers 2004 xr100 is an awesome bike. It has a full BBR Exhaust, Woody graphics, and some other cool stuff. I was just wondering what other mods you guys have done to your 100's. I was wondering if anybody has put on some cr85 forks on their 100? What is needed to make them work? Anyways, any advice would help. Thanks!

oil your air filter with 2 stroke gas it helps a lot

every body is flaming me for this but you should rejet if you havent already

I put BBR heavy fork springs in mine which helped tons. The manual calls for ATF fluid in the forks. I checked the viscosity of what was in them originally and it was very close to 10w so I went up from there. 20 w was plush but not good on the big stuff, 30w was good on the big stuff but not plush enough for me. What I ended up with was a 50/50 mix of 20w and 30w and set the level at 6.9inches. Now they are pretty awesome and confidence inspiring. Works Shocks built me a shock set up for me (I blew out thte original shock with a heavy spring on it). The Works Shock raised the rear end approx. 3/4" so I lowered the forks in the clamps, I got the best results with the forks lowered 1/2". Overall I'm very pleased with the way it's handling and have no plans on doing any more.

The front brake issue I solved by simply using my middle finger instead of my index finger for braking. It's stronger and I have more leverage since it's farther out on the lever. Don't have any problems nose wheeling the bike.

Mods in priority order for me would be (and I have all these):

-BBR Tall seat, tall tripple clamp and bars along with the suspension work mentioned above.

-BBR 120cc big bore with rev box (the rev limiter was really getting in the way), jetting of course w/UNI airfilter and holes drilled into the top of the airbox, FMF pipe, these pipes are pretty cheap comparitively speaking and I noticed a big difference when I put it on with the stock engine.

-Wheels and spokes (I bent the stock rims and kept breaking spokes)

-Frame cradle (mostly to protect the drain plug, the stock skid plate on mine ended up molded to the engine with the drain plug protruding thru it).

-chain guide (needed to weld on a reinforcement plate because the stock mount on the swing arm is very flimsey)

-Aluminum rear sprocket (mass reduction in rotating mass)

-Use Michelin front tires. I bought both a Dunlop and Michelin and the Dunlop weighed atleast a pound more, again rotating mass is more critical on the little bike. Also the Dunlop was 3/8" taller then the Michelin when mounted and aired up. With the short wheel base that made a huge difference in cornering so with the Dunlop I needed to raise the forks in the clamps 3/16" to make it handle the same as with the Michelin.

www.harpercycleworks.com

-BBR 120cc big bore with rev box (the rev limiter was really getting in the way),

www.harpercycleworks.com

There is NO rev limiter on a XR/CRF100. Power peaks around 10k but it keeps reving well into 13k and we chop the throttle at 14k. You can alter the curve, but the BBR rev box and most boxes (except the Tokyo Mods ignition) are made for the CRF150f and CRF230F, which there's a limit of some where around 9500 or 9800 (ish) rpm.

Dyno1.jpg

There is NO rev limiter on a XR/CRF100. Power peaks around 10k but it keeps reving well into 13k and we chop the throttle at 14k. You can alter the curve, but the BBR rev box and most boxes (except the Tokyo Mods ignition) are made for the CRF150f and CRF230F, which there's a limit of some where around 9500 or 9800 (ish) rpm.

Dyno1.jpg

Straight from BBR's website, I had assumed they knew what they were producing. Someone needs to let them know this!!!:

BBR Rev Box

Description: Fits CRF/XR50, CRF/XR70, CRF/XR80, and CRF/XR100 to eliminate the 9800 rpm rev limiter and provides a hotter advance curve.

Yeah, the Xr50/70, crf150f/230f have them but not the xr80/100.

Also dont do what zak is sayign to do. ONLY USE AIR FILTER OIL!!! NO 2STROKE OIL!!!! later on u will end up doing this for a while :thumbsup::ride::busted::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, the Xr50/70, crf150f/230f have them but not the xr80/100.

yea they do

Zak, you still continue to post stuff you have no idea what you're talking about. A rev limiter means the motor will NOT rev past a certain point. On a dyno chart, it will show a cuve, then the curve will drop straight down. Here's a picture and further expaination from an Engine's Only Web-site. As you can tell from the dyno chart of my bike, the curve keeps going until around 13,500 rpm. It could have more, but that's when you will float the valves and break things.

Click on the part that says "the truth about rev boxes"

http://www.xr100.com/dyno.htm#The%20truth%20about%20rev%20boxes.

Zak, you still continue to post stuff you have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.xr100.com/dyno.htm#The%20truth%20about%20rev%20boxes.

:thumbsup: Hmmmmmm..........reminds me of someone else on this forum on many other topics!!! Even if they are WRONG ......... you're about the LAST one on here that should be telling ANYONE ....... "they have no idea what they are talking about"! Best to make SURE one understands what they think they know when posting also! It's pretty easy to put up a smoke screen and fool people with little experence ............. NOT so with people with lots of experence. Guys like you are why the people with lots of REAL experience (not just from behind a computer) choose to avoid these forums completely. Sadly at the expense of the people on this forum that could really benefit from their knowledge.

NOW ......go blow off ALL the HOT AIR, have your tantrum, wait 24hrs before you reply, THINK about it, and READ what you type 10 times BEFORE you reply! Maybe this way you won't post a bunch of insults you end up deleting like you have done in the past!!! Sorry socal ......... that's about as nice as I can be and still get the point across!:ride:

Old School Al

P. S. Yep .........socal finally hit a nerve with me!:busted:

Hey zak13,

I've noticed you post this claim before. Can I first assume you're a young guy? I prefer to come off a bit different than socal ............ but I'm not sure yet if I can agree with you either. Can you explain in detail how this 2 stroke gas works so well on a air filter? How is this better than air filter oil? Will it keep dirt from going through the filter? How do you get enough oil on the filter this way? What ratio do you mix the 2 stroke gas at? Thanks.

Old School Al

Hey zak13,

I've noticed you post this claim before. Can I first assume you're a young guy? I prefer to come off a bit different than socal ............ but I'm not sure yet if I can agree with you either. Can you explain in detail how this 2 stroke gas works so well on a air filter? How is this better than air filter oil? Will it keep dirt from going through the filter? How do you get enough oil on the filter this way? What ratio do you mix the 2 stroke gas at? Thanks.

Old School Al

okay lemme just say

when i posted this i had no idea what i was talking about

all it did was richen my fuel mixture

and it helped bec i hads the stock lean jetting

now i know dont do it

and i know for a FACT THAT THE XR100R HAS A REV LIMITER

okay lemme just say

when i posted this i had no idea what i was talking about

all it did was richen my fuel mixture

and it helped bec i hads the stock lean jetting

now i know dont do it

and i know for a FACT THAT THE XR100R HAS A REV LIMITER

Ok..........I wouldn't be doing that anymore either!:thumbsup:

On the rev limiter............ did your bike come with it installed, did you add it, or does it just feel like it has one when you ride it?

Old School Al

:thumbsup: Hmmmmmm..........reminds me of someone else on this forum on many other topics!!! Even if they are WRONG ......... you're about the LAST one on here that should be telling ANYONE ....... "they have no idea what they are talking about"! Best to make SURE one understands what they think they know when posting also! It's pretty easy to put up a smoke screen and fool people with little experence ............. NOT so with people with lots of experence. Guys like you are why the people with lots of REAL experience (not just from behind a computer) choose to avoid these forums completely. Sadly at the expense of the people on this forum that could really benefit from their knowledge.

NOW ......go blow off ALL the HOT AIR, have your tantrum, wait 24hrs before you reply, THINK about it, and READ what you type 10 times BEFORE you reply! Maybe this way you won't post a bunch of insults you end up deleting like you have done in the past!!! Sorry socal ......... that's about as nice as I can be and still get the point across!:ride:

Old School Al

P. S. Yep .........socal finally hit a nerve with me!:lol:

No Al, you know everything. (except how to read a dyno chart). I give up on you. But if your ever down here let me know, so I can show you what the backside of a berm looks like. Stick to 200's. :busted: