32:1 or 40:1

What do most of you run 32:1 or 40:1 ?

I have an 03' cr250r pro cicuit pipe/silencer, 8oz flywheel..

Im racing hare scrambles..

Thanks

Terry

I believe in following the directions on the bottle.

So therefore for the oil I use it is mixed at 40:1

well i just picked up my 1st ring-dinger, an '85 atc 250r and from all the research i've been doing all the racers, builders etc. are going with 32:1. most all the older factory hondas are recommended to run 20:1 and i religiously run amsoil and they say you can go as lean as 50:1!! the more oil the better the lube but it affects the performance. i'm going with 32:1 because it seems to be the industry standard so that's good enough for me :applause::thumbsup:

I also have an 03 CR250, and I always have run it at 32:1 with Yamalube. That's the ratio I've always run my bikes at and it's proven to work really well. No spooge, and it only smokes a little at startup.

I run the Bel-Ray HR-1 synthetic at 40:1 and have had no issues.

Sorry, duplicate post.

Are they making recommendations for YOUR application? The Honda service and owner's manuals say 32:1.

Lots of people run 40:1 with no problems. Theoretically the more oil, the longer the life of your engine. Also riding style would have some effect. If you're wringing it out at high rpm's, I would think you'd want more oil. I was given advice by a two-stroke expert to "JET YOUR BIKE PROPERLY, pick an oil, pick a ratio and stick with it". I think that's good advice.

He also gave me a way to see if you're using a "good" ratio. While you have the cylinder off for a top end rebuild, take a chop stick (yes, the ones you eat with) and use it like a dipstick to go down between the lobes of your crank shaft and check the residual oil in the bottom of your case. If it's between an 1/8th and maybe 1/4 inch, you're probably ok. More, you can go to a higher ratio with less oil, less than 1/8 inch residual in the case, you need more oil in your pre-mix.

I had a well-meaning employee at a dealer tell me that, when I first bought a two-stroke for my son, if I fouled plugs I should just run 40:1. I was skeptical and split the difference at 36:1. I think that he gave me uneducated advice.

I am new to the two-strokes. I just did a total top to bottom rebuild on the motor and will be running 32:1. Honda recommends it, more oil is better.

Good post willie.

I am using Bel-Ray H1-R synthetic and the bottle plainly says, engines below 125cc are 32:1 and engines 250 and above are 40:1.

I bought this bike for the woods so there is not much high rpm race like conditions here. Too much power for me anyways. :D

i mix at 32:1. oil/gas that is.

i feel sick from mixing about 1:1 pepsi/rye :busted:

well i just picked up my 1st ring-dinger, an '85 atc 250r and from all the research i've been doing all the racers, builders etc. are going with 32:1. most all the older factory hondas are recommended to run 20:1 and i religiously run amsoil and they say you can go as lean as 50:1!! the more oil the better the lube but it affects the performance. i'm going with 32:1 because it seems to be the industry standard so that's good enough for me :applause::thumbsup:

It does but maybe not in the direction you think. :excuseme:

Gorden Jennings and associates performed the only scientifically approached pre-mix ratio vs. power production test I'm aware of (published in Cycle Magazine). Unfortunately, it's a rather old test--a Suzuki PE250 was the test vehicle. Castrol 40R oil was used. They tested 30:1, 20:1 (Suzuki's recommendation for the PE250), and 15:1 and found an increase in measured HP as the concentration was increased. 3.7 BHP increase at 15:1 over 30:1. The explanation I've seen offered for this phenomenon usually surrounds superior ring sealing with more concentrated mixtures. In the Jennings test, all reasonable testing considerations seemed to be applied: correcting a/f ratios, baseline testing, new piston and rings for each sample, etc.

Does that data apply to the oils and engines we're running today? I'm not sure. It might--I haven't seen a similar test in a modern engine so it's hard to say. I will occasionally see a generalized notion that less oil = more power. I don't know where this comes from but AFAIK, there is no basis for it. Longer plug life? Sure. More Power? Someone's gonna have to show me something solid before I'll put stock in that idea.

BTW, I love my 85' ATC250R duner. She's a thrill ride.

pc140002resizeemailfc5.th.jpg pc150003resizeemailvh1.th.jpg pc010004resizeba4.th.jpg

Awwwwe, she's got a soft side too. :smirk:

p2060132mediumji0.th.jpg

BTW, I run Maxima Super M at 40:1. The reason? That's the ratio I started using (for no particular reason other than lots of people use it) and my engines haven't given me any reason to change. Like willierides said, I picked an oil, picked a ratio, jetted for it, and stuck with it. If I ever decide to change, I'd likely go down to 32:1.

I run the Bel-Ray HR-1 synthetic at 40:1 and have had no issues.

Ditto

I was told that the belray h1-r is the best two stroke oil you can buy, is that true?

Thanks for all the replies!!

I've been running PJ1 Goldfire at 32:1 but alot of the guys I ride with are running 40:1. They say it gives you a little more power.. I just didnt know if it was worth leaning your bike out that much more..

Less oil more wear...

Terry

how do you traduce the ratio to oz per gallon?

how do you traduce the ratio to oz per gallon?

32:1 means that there is 32 times more gas than the oil you're putting in. One gallon of gas = 128 ounces. Therefore 128/32= 4 (ounces that is). Or, 128/40= 3.2 ounces. Or, 128/50 = 2.56 ounces. Conversely, 128/30 = 4.267 ounces. So, you see - using a higher mix ratio actually results in LESS oil in your mix which is bad.

Use that oil. Your engine likes it.

Hp2 32:1

But the oil manufactor did not make the bike.. In a 125 run 26-28:1, 250 run 28-32:1, 500 32-40:1... You can't forget you need oil for the crank/bearings...

32:1 means that there is 32 times more gas than the oil you're putting in. One gallon of gas = 128 ounces. Therefore 128/32= 4 (ounces that is). Or, 128/40= 3.2 ounces. Or, 128/50 = 2.56 ounces. Conversely, 128/30 = 4.267 ounces. So, you see - using a higher mix ratio actually results in LESS oil in your mix which is bad.

Use that oil. Your engine likes it.

Thanks for the conversion, very handy. Right now I'm between 32 and 40 cause I'm mixing 3.5 oz per gal. Right now I'm using Motorex Cross Power 2T Fully Synthetic and it burns very clean, no fouled plugs yet...

I think the ratio depends on various things like type and brand of oil, and type of riding also. For example, I've heard that if you run the track you can mix less oil and if you ride the trails more oil...

The bottom line is to go with the recommended jetting from your manual. It's very uneducated to assume less oil in the mixture gives you "more power". The way it was best explained to me was that you will only get a performance gain by decreasing oil in the ratio is if your jetting is off to begin with and some how you stumble on to a performance gain.

If your bike is properly jetted, you will get worse performance going from 32:1to 40:1 for example. If you think about it, less oil means more gas is being burned which is a richer mixture. So, if you are really chasing a performance gain, decreasing oil would cause you to have to rejet and potentially allow your engine to wear faster.

I suspect any of the major name brand oils will be safe for your engine when mixed at around 32:1. You can probably go with less oil, but 32:1 is recommended by Honda. Pick a ratio and jet properly; almost any reasonable ratio will work with proper jetting and no ratio will save an improperly jetted engine.