Have any Hare Scramble tips?

I'm going to race my first Hare Scramble Sunday and I would like any helpful tips from people who have raced them before. I'm entering the Vet A class or the Small Bikes class.

The weather forecast is hot, dry and humid. The tempreture will be around 90*. The track conditions are dry, dusty hard pack.

My '04 CRF250R was setup for MX, so over the past couple days I have tried to get it trail ready. I already have brush guards, skid plate, side engine guards, seal savers, new tires, new chain and sprockets, mounted GPS and a fresh engine. I have softened my compression clickers to lessen arm pump.

I have full riding gear with knee braces and chest protector. My goggles are loaded up with tear-offs. I have a 50 oz. camelbak too.

I'm a weekend warrior with 20 years experience, but never a Hare Scramble.

So I know how to ride, but I'm unsure how to win a HS. I don't think it's like a MX race. :busted:

I plan to pre-ride the course the day before the race to get familiar with it. I intend on trying to pace myself from the start survive the race. I've been told that alot of riders quit from exhaustion before they can finish the race. It is 90 minutes long plus one lap. I think the laps are 6 miles long.

Does anyone have any advise for me? I've been wanting to race one of these since I was 12 years old, so I would really like to be prepared now that the time has come. :busted:

hopefully you forgot to mention bark busters

take your time on the practice lap, even stopping to look at the different lines. don't get the holeshot, its a long race!

I have a quick question can you get me a picture of a bark buster

Pace yourself, i recently raced one in the Team Class and have never been so tired. Do not go all out on the first lap, you'll most likely hurt yourself doing it that way. Make sure you drink water (put ice cubes in your Camelbak).

Lol! Yea, I called them brush guards. They are actually hand guards for MX but I'm hoping they will be sufficient for woods racing. They are the Cycra Stealth guards.

First thing I would do is go take that GPS off of your bike before it gets destroyed. I'll have to say you are a brave man. Having never raced a harescramble and going into A class.

I like to duct tape the bite valve of my camelback to the bottom face of my helmet. Riding Rodeo trying to find it with your hand is not always an option. It takes a while to get used to drinking it while racing. But then again I have to sit down to chew gum.

Those are good tips guys.....Will I have to keep track of the time myself or will the checkpoint officials notify me when the 90 minutes are up?

sounds like u have the bike covered good luck ans as said above chill on the first laps ans come in stronger into the end good luck

uhh make that suspension of yours really soft and plush. also if the trail is not very wide. work on your starts. its all about the start in hare scrambles. the better you do in the start will tell what you do for finish. except your really slow or you crash. but work on bike control memorize the track if you get a practice lap! go medium fast get a feel for the dirt.

First thing I would do is go take that GPS off of your bike before it gets destroyed.

So the GPS will not help? Okay, I don't like it there anyway. :busted: .....

I'll have to say you are a brave man. Having never raced a harescramble and going into A class.

Yea I like a challenge and I'm optimistic about this type of race. I realize that I'm the underdog, but I expect to finish in the top ten and hopfully better than that in the Vet class. In the Small Bikes class I think I could get around 7th place. The last results showed that there were about 15 entries in the Vet A class and the Small Bikes class. So I think I'm capable of finishing midpack if I do my homework. I'm going to concentrate on good form and conserving energy by gripping the tank with my knees from the start.

I like to duct tape the bite valve of my camelback to the bottom face of my helmet. Riding Rodeo trying to find it with your hand is not always an option. It takes a while to get used to drinking it while racing. But then again I have to sit down to chew gum.[/

Good idea! That's the stuff I'm looking for. Any small thing like that boosts my confidence. :thumbsup:

uhh make that suspension of yours really soft and plush. also if the trail is not very wide. work on your starts. its all about the start in hare scrambles. the better you do in the start will tell what you do for finish. except your really slow or you crash. but work on bike control memorize the track if you get a practice lap! go medium fast get a feel for the dirt.

Okay. :thumbsup:

"pedialite" in your camel back. get it at any grocery or pharmacy.

tastes wierd at first but it really works to help maintain stamina

5 Hour Energy:thumbsup:

I'm going to race my first Hare Scramble Sunday and I would like any helpful tips from people who have raced them before. I'm entering the Vet A class or the Small Bikes class.

Vet-A in your first race? You know your abilities better than anyone else, but if your series has a sportsman/unlimited class or similar type of 'unclassified' class, that may be a better choice the first time out. This way you can see where your results compare against the experienced racers without locking yourself into anything, and then select a permanent class based on those results.

The weather forecast is hot, dry and humid. The tempreture will be around 90*. The track conditions are dry, dusty hard pack.

Camelback (obviously), plenty of hydration and carbs in the 24 hours leading up to the race (some people recommend hydrating for days leading up to a race, it's up to you).

I'm a weekend warrior with 20 years experience, but never a Hare Scramble. So I know how to ride, but I'm unsure how to win a HS. I don't think it's like a MX race.

Don't worry about winning your first time out, concentrate on being smooth and finishing. If you do both those things, a win is possible if you're good, but don't make winning the priority. Remember, MX is a sprint race, HS is an endurance race.

I plan to pre-ride the course the day before the race to get familiar with it.

Many HS associations prohibit pre-riding the course. Check your rules to be sure it's allowed, because nothing will ruin your day quicker than being DQd before you even start.

I intend on trying to pace myself from the start survive the race. I've been told that alot of riders quit from exhaustion before they can finish the race. It is 90 minutes long plus one lap. I think the laps are 6 miles long.

People are surprized by how grueling these races can be. Nutrition, hydration, and proper pacing are all key to making it to the end. It's incredibly tempting to try to win it all in the first lap, particularly if you get a good start, but save your best for the last lap. As the race progresses, people will start to slow down and/or drop out, and your goal is to not be one of them :)

Oh, as someone else mentioned, barkbusters are much, much preferred over brush guards, especially if you have trees to contend with.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

-B

Dry and dusty? You do need to pace yourself,but depending on your abilities you should go for a good start. You may be surprised at the initial speeds off the start and the first mile or so until everyone settles in.

Thanks guys!!! Pedialite and energy bars are somthing I never thought about.

TMX, thanks for the in depth help. I really appreciate it......The rules state that we can run the course at Noon the day before the race......

I'm going to try and get a larger Camelpak before tomorrow. I don't think 50 oz. will be enough for me.

I don't expect to win. I realize that I'm not in shape to win a race. I am in decent shape though and I have pretty good endurance. I will do as you say and hold back until the end. I used to run track in middle school and the fastest guys seemed to use that same technique.

What about keeping time? Will I have to do that on my own?

You won't need a GPS, the trail will be marked.

Start drinking lots of water NOW. Get your body hydrated.

You will not need to keep track of your time and laps your self. They will proably put a sticker with a bar code on your helmet. Each time you go through the finish line you will stop and let them scan your sticker.

There is not a exact amount of time you will race. The way its usally done is the Pro class starts first and each class after them. The race is over once the first pro rider has won by completing the required amount of laps. After that, the race is over for you as soon as you come to the finish line. Regardless of how many laps you have done. Don't worry is the super slowest guy crosses the finish line right after the pro that doesn't mean he is in second place because he has only done 1 or 2 laps while you might be on your 6th lap.

Your goal is to complete as many laps as possible before the race is over. This means pace yourself and just try to ride with out wrecking and you will do great.

Another thing is to get out of the way of faster riders because you will only piss him off and he might wreck you to get around you. It gets so crazy you can't keep track of who is even in your class so just race against yourself and pace yourself and don't wreck. As long as you finish you will do great.

My last race I really mess up bad on a horrible hill and my bike was pretty much upside down in a steep ditch. It took me forever to get it out and get it started.

By this time I was wore out and I knew I was dead last! So I just rode at a very moderate rate. I even stop to drink a bottle of water in my fender bag and I stop to make sure my helmet cam was still on. Then I stop two more time to help 2 different guys get their bikes unstuck! Like I said I knew I was dead last.

Out of 19 riders in my class I came in 8th!!!! Why? Because alot of them went really fast and did 4 laps before they were wore out and quit. I did 5 laps. The winner in my class was actully right behind me at the finshline he did 6 laps.