Step up- 2 vs. 4

Im watchin the Xgames a seeing ronny renner(KTM 450) destroy all the other riders(250-2's). why wouldn't the other riders ride 4's. more torque + more power, But more weight. Am i missing something. Name the pros and cons of 2 and 4's in step up.

J-mad18

You already named them...

I dont get why the other riders won't ride the 4 strokes in step-up, it clearly seems like the thumper is just making the competition easy for reener

the 2 strokes are lighter, and dont push themselves forward as much, while the 4 stroke has more momentum going forward and seems like it would be a bit harder to control

EDIT: Maybe now they need that forward momentum. thumper ftw in step up

haha yea, grats to reener:applause:

it don't matter what renner is on, he can whip anything!

The 2-stroke has been used by FMX guys because it's easier to move around in the air. less weight, and less rotating mass in the motor = more nimble.

I think this is kind of ridiculous, in the same way it is in AMA but for some reason I find this to be worse. I'm all for more power and going higher but this just isn't fair. this DOES NOT prove that 4-strokes are better than 2-strokes at all. it simply proves there is no replacement for displacement. How do you think Reiner would have done on a 250F? how would all the others have done on a 450 2-stroke??

If it were me I'd have a KX500 with revalved suspension

The 2-stroke has been used by FMX guys because it's easier to move around in the air. less weight, and less rotating mass in the motor = more nimble.

I think this is kind of ridiculous, in the same way it is in AMA but for some reason I find this to be worse. I'm all for more power and going higher but this just isn't fair. this DOES NOT prove that 4-strokes are better than 2-strokes at all. it simply proves there is no replacement for displacement. How do you think Reiner would have done on a 250F? how would all the others have done on a 450 2-stroke??

How is it not fair? Did they restrict the other guys from using 450's? I don't see how it's unfair considering the 2 stroke riders could have brought a 450 like Renner did.

Not like it would've mattered, though. Renner can throw whips like its nobody's business, I think he would have won on a 250 anyways.

next year step up is going to be all 4 bangers

How is it not fair? Did they restrict the other guys from using 450's? I don't see how it's unfair considering the 2 stroke riders could have brought a 450 like Renner did.

Not like it would've mattered, though. Renner can throw whips like its nobody's business, I think he would have won on a 250 anyways.

When did i say it wasn't fair to the other guys. it's not fair to 2-strokes. i mean the announcers are all like "this is the revolution, this is the sh!t, if you don't run 4-stroke you can't compete" and sheeple think to themselves "hmm yeah, 4-strokes must be such a better design". but it isn't, it's just given a crazy handycap.

the 2 strokes acutally have more torque, but they are lighter and easier to flick around.

Nobody did anything to rig a win for the 4 stroke. 4 strokes are better bikes, plain and simple. 2 strokes seem to have, for the most part, been at thier limit for a while, where the 4 strokes keep developing.

next year step up is going to be all 4 bangers

4 cylinder? hahahahaha jk

Probably, Its sorta sad to see the 2T dying out from every niche of the sport. Is anyone else disapointed that Rener had been practicing? It is kinda like training for a family game of musical chairs.

Nobody did anything to rig a win for the 4 stroke. 4 strokes are better bikes, plain and simple. 2 strokes seem to have, for the most part, been at thier limit for a while, where the 4 strokes keep developing.

It's not really about development, the motor is almost TWICE THE SIZE. an equally sized 2-stroke will always make more power, with less weight and less moving parts than a 4-stroke. so how is the 4-stroke a better design?? Im not trying to bash 4-strokes, they have a place in my heart as well. but i mean its hard to ignore logic. the 4-stroke bikes out right now are great but you have to realize it's because we compare them with a huge size advantage given to the 4-stroke just because...... well..... idk why.

the 2 strokes acutally have more torque, but they are lighter and easier to flick around.

Um......No

Hey, Blame it on yamaha engineer Yoshiharu Nakayama, and the AMA. there the ones that let yamaha race the yz400 proto with an upper displacement off 550cc:crazy: to race in the 250 class. people are using 4's because there allowed to be 80 percent larger than a 250

Um......No

Um.....yeah.

Given the same displacement, the pinger will make more torque.

CR500R vs CRF450, you tell me which makes more torque.

Um.....yeah.

Given the same displacement, the pinger will make more torque.

CR500R vs CRF450, you tell me which makes more torque.

Yeah, but which one is lighter and easier to flick around, like you said? The 450.