Can I add a link to this chain?

Hey guys,

I got a new DID xring chain here. Its one link too short. How can i add a link. Or is it possible? I cant put my old chain back on because it is so stretched out that it wont go on my new counter sprocket. am i screwed?:crazy: :crazy:

You can buy a smaller sprocket, but either way you're gonna waste something.

If you have a 50T rear then buy a 48T. Otherwise... I believe you are screwed.

Next time buy the right size - or even one link to large too cover you, you can always cut one off.

you should just send that chain back:excuseme:

Yes, you can easily add a link (actually, two links is what you need, one inner and one outer). If your bike is under 20 Hp you can do it with a second masterlink.

Hey guys,

I got a new DID xring chain here. Its one link too short. How can i add a link. Or is it possible? I cant put my old chain back on because it is so stretched out that it wont go on my new counter sprocket. am i screwed?:crazy: :crazy:

Yes, you can add a single link. But it will require 2 master links. Ideally, one link max, but get a rivet type for the extra link. Or get a smaller sprocket. I like to buy my chaisn too long, cut what I dont need, and have some spare chain left over.

well guys i have a 450 so will i still be ok with 2 masters?

i actually messed this up myself. i cut the chain and checked it and it looked like it needed at least one more link off (the two ends were over-lapping) so i took one more off and now its short by just a little bit. i can run it by finding some thiner nuts to use as lock nuts on my chain adjusters.

for tomorrow im running my old chain. i hope it lasts through the day.

so if i cant add a link because of power. ill just get those nuts.

and if that doesnt work....who wants to buy a brand new chain? lol

Don't use your old chain on new sprockets!......... You can add links if you buy Motion Pros chain riveter/breaker. Or you can add another master link with another single inner link......I would try a thinner nut as you said first.

im just riding the track for the day 4 hours or so. is it really that bad just for a half day?

IMo the 2 master link thing is not worth it. Just have had a chain snap on me before, tore off my case guard.

cant a shop press on a new link for me? i dont see how a master link is any weaker than a regular link that just wouldnt make sense to me. "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

The master may or may not be weaker than a regular link; but I agree the second isn't any weaker than the first.

Yes, you can easily add a link (actually, two links is what you need, one inner and one outer). If your bike is under 20 Hp you can do it with a second masterlink.

dude my brother ran 2 masterlinks on his 01 yz250 adn it was fine. the bike doesnt need to be under 20hp

ddue youll be fine if you jsut go buy another masterlink