Not exactly the CC's

I've often wondered why companies over-exaggerate the dirtbike's cc count, like giving dirtbikes 449 cc's, and not 450 exactly, and how some companies do this more than others. For example: Honda's crf230f's, only have 223 cc's, KTM's new 530 which only has 510 cc's. Why doesn't KTM call it the 510? Am I missing something here? I don't get it, can somebody shed some light on this subject? :excuseme:

Yea i've been wondering that also :excuseme:

i think its b/c its sounds better. like the crf100 has 99.9cc

But some do it more than other's, the worst is KTM, they're new 505 really only has 477 cc's, that seems like alot to screw somebody out of, I'm one who does their homework before I buy a bike, but I think that it's a little dishonest IMO.

I really dont get it with KTM (and i really like KTM). funny thing is, while they call a 477 and a 510 and 505 and a 530, they also have the KTM 990 super duke which is actually 990...... why not round up like your other bikes and call it a 1000? but i dont find 449 that big a deal. there must be a reason tho because motors are NEVER even numbers. from what ive seen every bike is 449, 599, 999 so on.

the worst ive seen is the Polaris 800 ATV. it's really 760.

1. Market research shows that certain numbers sell better: like a item priced 19.97 sells better than one marked 19.96 for example. 450 sounds better than 449.

2. In the old days everybody would re-bore and piston thier bikes when they wore out. If the motor was actually 450cc stock, and you overbored it to make it new again, technically you would no longer be able to compete in the 450 class anymore.

3. Because it is just a model number.

bore x stroke calculations :prof: ...the manufacturers find a performing,balanced # of cc's that are an outcome of bore x stroke sizes and then pick the nearest # that sounds good

say the bore is a certain mm and the stroke a certain mm, they multiply those sizes and the outcome is rounded, for example a 449 outcome is called a 450 because it will sound better and sell better

how many of you would prefer 450's be called 449's and 250's be called 249's?

how many of you would prefer 450's be called 449's and 250's be called 249's?

Part of that also is that not ALL the cylinders are the EXACT same size. Some bikes (i know for the 2 strokes atleast) when you are going to buy an OEM piston you have to match it with your cylinder. Usually they are marked A, B, C, or D (or whatever that company chooses to use for their markings). Those size differences are like .0001 difference but im sure that comes into play. The bikes technically have to be exactly 250cc or lower for a 250cc two stroke to race in the 250 class for example. And like what was said before, people used to bore their bikes slightly over once the topend was worn out.

I've often wondered why companies over-exaggerate the dirtbike's cc count, like giving dirtbikes 449 cc's, and not 450 exactly, and how some companies do this more than others. For example: Honda's crf230f's, only have 223 cc's, KTM's new 530 which only has 510 cc's. Why doesn't KTM call it the 510? Am I missing something here? I don't get it, can somebody shed some light on this subject? :excuseme:

Well, when they do a bore and stroke, they get it close. To figure displacement, go .7854XboreXboreXstroke. Then X number of cylinders. Usually, a bore will be like 95mm stroke will be 63.4mm (WR450F numbers) which is 449394.099cubic millimeters. Move the decimal point over 3 places to get 449.4 cubic centimeters, rounded off or rounded to the whole number is 449cc. I suppose they need to get as close to 450 without going over, they can be under, but give up some displacement. I dont think they want bore sizes like 95.1245 etc. I suppose they could add to the stroke by .1, (63.5, up .1 from 63.4mm) but in this case, the displacement would be 469 which would put it well over.

As for the KTM 510, not sure. I know the KDX220 is actually 216. I suppose they just round to the nearest whole number in multiples of 5. That wouldnt explain the CRF230 being only 223 cc:excuseme: Maybe they should of called it the CRF225, but then Yamaha has the 230...

Another example of this is my 05' honda crf150f. It is actually 156cc while the 06 and up 150's are 149.

My 74' Honda CT70 is 72cc (soon to be 85cc) :applause: and my KX100 is damn near 100cc.

But Yamaha did make the 426.. and that actually sounds pretty sweet.

I've always wondered this too

Another example of one that's fairly far off is Husky's current SM610 and TE610. They're 576cc.

The ktm 530 keeps on climbing with the name. I think it used to be a 510.

My CR85 is 85cc's and the Yz is 84.7cc's or something

My 74' Honda CT70 is 72cc (soon to be 85cc)

Cool.... I have a CT70 that's a 142cc

But another thing is, when a company does say the bike has exactly 449 cc's, why can't they just add more on to make it an even 450? I know it won't make a difference, but I just don't understand. :excuseme:

It's mostly marketing. Some words and some numbers "sell" better.

Think of how many times you see the sexy letters like "X" used in products.

Now think of how many products come with a plain Jane letter like "J" or "L"

Ditto on numbers. Six and nine are sexy; 2 and 3 aren't.

the model number is not only an identification of CC size but its a name, a name that they want to be easy to remember, easy to stay, an overall attractive name.. so they market them as best they can

I'm not arguing the fact that some names sound better, because they do. But I'm saying that for example, KTM's 530, should either change their number to 510, or bump up the cc count a little bit, only because it's a little deceiving. (I use KTM so much because they seem to do it the most.) :ride: