Why is a dirt bike not an ATV?

If ATV = All Terrain Vehicle...why is a dirt bike not considered an ATV? Last I checked, I can take my bike through rougher terrain than a 3 or 4 wheeler.

To me, the definition of an ATV should be any vehicle operated by one person, who straddles the seat and can traverse many different types of terrain.

And what about people that call a quad a bike...that pisses me off. A bike has 2-wheels...end of discussion!

Wikipedia says:

The term "All-Terrain Vehicle" or ATV is used in a general sense to describe any of a number of small open motorized buggies and tricycles designed for off-road use. However, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) defines an ATV as a vehicle that travels on low pressure tires, with a seat that is straddled by the operator, and with handlebars for steering control. By the current ANSI definition, it is intended for use by a single operator, although a change to include 2-seaters (in tandem) is under consideration.

The rider sits on and operates these vehicles like a motorcycle, but the extra wheels give more stability at slow speeds. Although typically equipped with three or four wheels, six-wheel models exist for specialized applications. Engine sizes of ATVs currently for sale in the United States (as of 2007) range from 49cc to 760cc and 49cc to 400cc for two stroke ATVs.

What do you think?

idk, but i just laugh at my friends when im faster than them through the woods and they finally make it back and i ask why their all terrian vehicle isn't doing so well in the varied terrain.

Maybe it's because an ATV can run in the snow. thats a terrain bikes can't really do.

idk, but i just laugh at my friends when im faster than them through the woods and they finally make it back and i ask why their all terrian vehicle isn't doing so well in the varied terrain.

Maybe it's because an ATV can run in the snow. thats a terrain bikes can't really do.[/QUOTE]

I can run in snow :excuseme:

mass and ct consider dirtbikes to be "atv"s......wikipedia isnt the be all end all .......

That's just the name they gave them I guess, I just call them four-wheelers or quads. I do agree with you on the bike thing though, bi=two, not four. But it doesn't bother me, as long as I'm faster than the quads. :thumbsup:

well, what about the term 'motorcycle'? it's really an engine...

An ATV is considered to have 3 or more wheels, a bike only has 2.

I hate and when people call a quad a " bike"...Its not bike , its a little car.

I hate and when people call a quad a " bike"...Its not bike , its a little car.

Haha, I have to agree. :ride:

well, what about the term 'motorcycle'? it's really an engine...

an engine is a motor, but a motor isnt an engine.

and id rather scoot around on a motorcycle, than an enginebike..

all i know is that bikes get thru more than quads but in some conditions (such as snow and really bad mud) have more trouble getting thru then quads...

I also hate when people call a quad a a quad bike or just a bike..

i also get angry whan people call a dirtbike a motorscooter,, a motor scooter would be an electrical step thru two-wheeled vehicle or even possibly engine power..... thats just my thoughts thou

Maybe it's because an ATV can run in the snow. thats a terrain bikes can't really do.

I don't know about you but my bike does fine in the snow:excuseme:

A motorcycle is not a vehicle, therefore it can not be considered an ATV.

MAX!!!

I can ride in snow too but it is much easier on a quad.. although both are equally fun in the snow, just the bike takes ALOT more work to keep upright

If ATV = All Terrain Vehicle...why is a dirt bike not considered an ATV? Last I checked, I can take my bike through rougher terrain than a 3 or 4 wheeler.

To me, the definition of an ATV should be any vehicle operated by one person, who straddles the seat and can traverse many different types of terrain.

And what about people that call a quad a bike...that pisses me off. A bike has 2-wheels...end of discussion!

Wikipedia says:

What do you think?

We are bored today. :busted:

I don't know about you but my bike does fine in the snow:excuseme:

we dont get any real snow here in ct.....just the fake stuff that shows up for a day or two than melts.