Yanked the Yoshi Ti tonight...

I bought a Yoshi Ti, and decided after riding around uncorked (too loud for OHV parks, obviously) and corked (not as much fun) I decided to try out the stock "E" exhaust I picked up.

Only one problem:

The "E" subframe is different, so the muffler doesn't mount up :banghead:

So, back to the stock "S" exhaust I went. A little disappointed, but oh well.

Back to back with a corked Yosh, there isn't any difference according to my butt dyno. In fact, I like how quiet the bike is now. It still rips (with the FCR) but no longer do I need ear plugs.

When I have some time, I'm going to copy William1's mod to make the "E" head pipe work with the "S" mid-pipe.

I miss the bling, but I'm happy for now.

I think a pipe will be the last mod I do to any bike I buy in the future. Up 'til now, I automatically bought a killer pipe for every bike. It's like a bad habit that I now am going to break :D

I always ride with earplugs regardless.Careful modulation of the throttle will keep your neighbors happy and enable you to tap all the midrange and top end power when you need it.

If you ride longer then a few mintues at a time you should wear earplugs no matter what.

Wind noise is the largest factor in motorcycle related hearing loss.

That being said, I ride long distances so I always have ear protection which means I don't worry about how loud my exhaust is. If it needs to be quiet don't twist the throttle so hard. ;)

Yeah, I agree with you guys about the ear plugs all the time. It's just nice to have the lower volume.

Personally, I think the TRC sounds great open or with the SA in, but sounds like complete crap with the potato in. The fact is I can't ride around the OHV parks here with the potato out. So, that being said, I figured I'd just go to the stock exhaust.

My preference would be to have a nice, deep sounding not-too-loud exhaust, but I have yet to hear a DRZ sound the way I want it to. For me, stock is fine right now.

The FCR seems to be a much bigger improvement that the pipe anyway.

for the price of a new Yosh Ti, you could do the "William1 E header mod " (should that be a sticky?) plus the MT big bore which would yield more hp gain than the Yosh but without the noise.....for those that are noise concious .

Ear plugs are something that I always wear when I'm going to be riding any distance.

But I noticed this week on my first long trip on the FZ6 that has uncorked Acropovic cans, that there is a resonance that reacts with the ear plugs, it is quieter without the plugs, with them I get a steady loud droning noise that is very loud.

Anybody else noticed this, I have only had it once before, and that was with the DRZ when I was running a Leo Vince slip on.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride: :ride:

Hiya Neil!

I have noticed that too with some engines, Esp. rotaries. I think the frequency vibes simply travel through your bones sometimes. Might want to try differnt ear plugs, may make a difference. LOL, may just make it happen at a different frequency too!

you need the dual harmonic earplugs

I wear ear muffs at work all the time and have noticed that low frequency sounds like trains, helicopters and big trucks sound louder and clearer with them on. I can hear them over the sound of the brick saw running. Some of our 2cycle engines are the same way.

Hiya Neil!

I have noticed that too with some engines, Esp. rotaries. I think the frequency vibes simply travel through your bones sometimes. Might want to try differnt ear plugs, may make a difference. LOL, may just make it happen at a different frequency too!

Glad it's not just me :crazy:

I wear ear muffs at work all the time and have noticed that low frequency sounds like trains, helicopters and big trucks sound louder and clearer with them on. I can hear them over the sound of the brick saw running. Some of our 2cycle engines are the same way.

I have noticed the same thing.

2 stroke, no, but I suppose a 4 cyl 4 stroke running at a steady 9000 RPM is close

Neil. :thumbsup::ride: :ride:

We keep three different types of earplugs in our shop. Yes I know I have noticed that some drone more then others.

The ones I wear that don't drone are shaped like a bell and yellow with a pink stripe in them.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of them.

I also wear a pair of Sony earbuds (earplug style) that offer just the right amount of noise reduction IMO. Plus I can listen to my tunes on longer rides(not too loud of course as that would defeat the purpose).

I wear ear muffs at work all the time and have noticed that low frequency sounds like trains, helicopters and big trucks sound louder and clearer with them on.

Yep, easier to hear the two-way radio over the equipment with ear plugs in. :prof:

But loud sucks. Besides destroying yours and others' hearing, it creates trouble in your community that affects all riders.

"...control your wrist..." (the throttle.)

It just doesn't make sense to pay a grand for a loud exhaust, and then ride slower than you would with the stock pipe, because you don't want to make too much noise.

I just put a stock pipe back on one of my road bikes, and the first thing I noticed was I now have to watch my speed more. No more lugging the bike out of the neighborhood in a high gear to keep the sound down. It is nice to jump on and ride normally without pissing everyone off.

so, any interest in getting rid of the Ti?

wanna trade for my rs3 with TEC insert?

eheheh

But loud sucks. Besides destroying yours and others' hearing, it creates trouble in your community that affects all riders.

It just doesn't make sense to pay a grand for a loud exhaust, and then ride slower than you would with the stock pipe, because you don't want to make too much noise.

I just put a stock pipe back on one of my road bikes, and the first thing I noticed was I now have to watch my speed more. No more lugging the bike out of the neighborhood in a high gear to keep the sound down. It is nice to jump on and ride normally without pissing everyone off.

You know, that's something I forgot to mention earlier. I love to whack open the throttle, and I don't always want to ride 1/2 hour to the nearest place where I don't have to worry about LEO's.

And as far as in-helmet entertainment is concerned, I think the Etymotic ER6i's are killer. About 25 db of noise reduction, and pretty good sounds given the crap that comes out of an ipod. Makes a big difference on those 300-500 mile days.

My overall favorite ear plugs are from Cintas' in-house brand "The Safety Director." About $16 for 200 individually wrapped pair. They're the super soft yellow ones with a pink stripe (bell shaped, as mentioned earlier) and have a noise reduction of 32 db. That is the most I've seen from a foam in-ear plug. They're great! Even kept the Yosh tamed at WOT!

Where do you get those ear plugs for $16 a box?

Thanks,

db

Where do you get those ear plugs for $16 a box?

Thanks,

db

I bought them from my Cintas rep when he came in to service our first aid kit. If you can't find a local rep, send me a pm. I may be able to hook you up.

This is a topic that sometimes becomes religeous on this forum. I think the key to understanding both sides is to remember that this forum is shared with SM, Dual Sport, and Strictly Off Road riders. The same thing arises when talking about mileage and maintenence. I personnally spend half my time in the middle of nowhere and half my time riding around town. I use an open pipe with a cork. When I'm gonna be riding in national forrest I pull the cork out and "use wrist control" until I'm far far away from anyone. I have a lot of money into making my bike fast that I don't want to waste with a restrictive pipe. Then when I'm back home and around town I throw the cork back in and I don't have to worry about cranking on the throttle. I think the key is exactly what you stated, we don't want to create any trouble in the community, however there are people on here that ride in places where a strait pipe would not bother anyone. :thumbsup:

I use an open pipe with a cork. When I'm gonna be riding in national forrest I pull the cork out and "use wrist control" until I'm far far away from anyone.

Then when I'm back home and around town I throw the cork back in and I don't have to worry about cranking on the throttle.

Funny, I'm just the opposite.

Battle for off-road use is real and it's precarious. :eek:

On-road use in jepardy?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm an avid fan of earplugs now. I've been commuting every day on my DRZ for the last 9 months now and my ears are starting feel it. I have the stock exhaust (drilled out... barely louder) and the 3x3 but the wind noise has been taking it's toll.

If I don't wear a helmet, the noise is actually not a problem but I believe in helmets. SSSoooooo, earplugs it is now.

I've tried many types and the ones you squish between your fingers before you put them in seem to be the best.

I've ordered some silicon putty from the UK that will gel and can be used to make custom plugs. Like epoxy, you mix it up but you can stick this in your ear to harden to make the perfect fit and are reusable forever... washable.