05 kx250f ?'s

I'm considering buying an 05 sight unseen, only pictures, but I do have some concerns about the bike. I have heard that the 05 was a bad year because there were problems with the tranny blowing third gear, crank cases cracking at the shifter, and the issue with having to drain the coolant in order to change the oil. The seller says that there are no problems with the bike but I expect that since he is trying to unload the bike. The seller is located across the country so i'm a little leary of the whole thing. What do you guys think? Have you heard of any of these issues?

I'm considering buying an 05 sight unseen, only pictures, but I do have some concerns about the bike. I have heard that the 05 was a bad year because there were problems with the tranny blowing third gear, crank cases cracking at the shifter, and the issue with having to drain the coolant in order to change the oil. The seller says that there are no problems with the bike but I expect that since he is trying to unload the bike. The seller is located across the country so i'm a little leary of the whole thing. What do you guys think? Have you heard of any of these issues?

well just put it this way, the kawi 250fs before 06 were not the best bikes:thumbsup:

havent really heard any problems withthe 05...and no its the 04 that has the single piece waterpump/oil filter cover

Please don't tell me this crap, I have an '05................ But it's been a trooper so far!

-rye

I have a 05 and I haven’t had a single problem with it. :thumbsup:

By the way, it’s for sale also.

Please don't tell me this crap, I have an '05................ But it's been a trooper so far!

-rye

it might of just been a turd in the bunch but my 05 was bad:thumbsup:

bad as in bad or bad as in good?

bad as in bad or bad as in good?

bad as in bad lol

what was bad about it?

-rye

So is mine bro, good bike.

My 05 runs great! Havent had a single issue with it....if you take care of a bike it will treat you right. Shit does happen just like on anything mechanical. Spend the money on proper maintenance...change oil every couple rides, wash it, clean the air filter, check all the bolts, check valve clearances, keep an eye out for metal flakes in the oil. Simple things can go a long way!

i too would like to hear an answer to this question, in fact i became a memeber to the forum to ask the exact same question. :thumbsup:

were the 05s "problem bikes" in general, or was there just a bad batch?

that is exactly what I keep hearing !!!!!! I heard that the pro circuit team had a ton of problems with this year bike, specifically with the tranny blowing third gear. I don't know a lot about this bike and just want to find out more before I go forward with the transaction. I myself take meticulous care of my bikes, so that wont be an issue. I'm just wondering if there is anything specific I should look out for with this year bike. Thanks for all the input so far.

i def wouldn't buy a bike from across the country. but yea the bike is sweet had mine a yr i ride junior class mx and practice 3-4 days a week and haven't had to replace valves or anything. just normal wear and tear. People complain u gotta short shift a lot but to me I love it because it keeps you from getting lazy always having to shift. it's def a fun bike to ride :ride:

my 05 had a cracked crankcase and it wouldnt shift into second but we fixed and its a trooper now we have raced it everyweekend since may(after we fixed it) and now it could never be better