KLX300 first gear problem

So.... I finally get my bike out on its first hard run and find I may have a serious issue. A few times I could not drop it into first gear.... no matter how hard I tried. I would slap down the shifter and it would "clunk" like it went into gear but..... nothing. In order to get moving I had to shift into second. From researching KLX Yahoo and this forum I wasn't able to find a definitive answer. Some said it could be the shift star but wanted some of your expert opinions first. Is this something as simple as the shift star or could it be more serious? Many thanks

MHB

When it didn't go into first, did it go into neutral? Any problem with other gears?

Ride on

Brewster

When it didn't go into first, did it go into neutral? Any problem with other gears?

Ride on

Brewster

Yes.... when I came to a stop I put it in first gear (or so I thought). It felt like it went into gear but it was actually neutral. I tried several times (pushing on the shift lever, opening/closing the clutch lever) to put it in first gear but it wouldn't go. No other problems with anyother gears and it never popped out of gear like other pre-modified shift star owners have had. BTW-this is an '06 KLX300 with about 400 miles.

Most of the shift star problems are with 2nd gear. I haven't heard of any previous problems like you describe......sorry.

Ride on

Brewster

Funny, i've got an 06 KLX300 with about 400-500 miles, and my last time out I had a similar problem. At the end of my 35 mile ride I had a really really hard time shifting into first or neutral. I'm going out to look at it now, I'll let you know what I find...

-Tom