Smaller Haulers

Who here has smaller/unusual bike haulers, most of what I'm seeing is fancy trailers, huge trucks and other expensive things.

This is my smaller hauler -- It manages OK, but is a bit limited for gearspace...:excuseme:

P1030579.jpg

P1030580.jpg

P1030582.jpg

Discuss!

Do a search in this forum for "enclosed trailer setups". These are all relatively small enclosed trailers (mine is a 5X10 - page 6 of the thread) that can be had for around a grand used, then the outfitting is up to you and your imagination/needs. We have a toyhauler also for camping trips, but this keeps the bikes/gear out of the garage, and works out perfect for day trips (which seem to happen 3:1 over camping due to free time). Otherwise you're looking at doing a small pickup with a camper shell/tonneau cover with a receiver mount bike carrier to have "comfy" room to take your goods and bike with ya...

Dan

Very cool looking old Subaru. Looks like great single bike transportation to me. Good mileage, go anywhere...Ill take one of those.

I love your Subaru, that thing is awesome looking. :thumbsup:

Does it off-road very well?

Thanks for the comments.

Its a good little ute, and surprises most people off road, but is limited mostly by open diffs and little suspension travel.

I've put two bikes on it at once before. Once backwards one forwards, was only an xr200 and a ttr125, and the other time the xr200 and klx300.

One bike definately works better.

It suits my needs well, which is going to organised day rides within about 60km range or going to stay at friends properties for more than one nights. Only downside is the lack of secure gearspace, as the cabin is also very cramped.

Thanks for the comments.

Its a good little ute, and surprises most people off road, but is limited mostly by open diffs and little suspension travel.

I've put two bikes on it at once before. Once backwards one forwards, was only an xr200 and a ttr125, and the other time the xr200 and klx300.

One bike definately works better.

It suits my needs well, which is going to organised day rides within about 60km range or going to stay at friends properties for more than one nights. Only downside is the lack of secure gearspace, as the cabin is also very cramped.

I wonder if they make some sort of roof rack for that model so you could haul your gear up there?

2001 Subaru legacy Outback hauler!

New_PICT0025.jpg

I wonder if they make some sort of roof rack for that model so you could haul your gear up there?

Gidday, I can't say I've seen any of these with roof racks, but I'm sure it could be done. I have a fibreglass canopy for the back of it. Which is handy for keeping things dry, But is not large enough for the bike. Maybe I should invest in a bike trailer like MSHAM's eventually.

Nice Outback also MSHAM

Who here has smaller/unusual bike haulers, most of what I'm seeing is fancy trailers, huge trucks and other expensive things.

This is my smaller hauler -- It manages OK, but is a bit limited for gearspace...:excuseme:

Discuss!

I have a '95 Jeep Wrangler. It has a 500lb capacity roofrack and a 400lb capacity rear receiver. It can only tow 2000lb due to it's short wheelbase.

I have Tuffy lockboxes inside the Jeep. I also have a 20"x60" aluminum HitchHaul w/folding towbar that I can bolt a 20x20x60 aluminum truckchest onto, yet still pull a small trailer. I can also throw an aerodynamic Yakima lockbox on the roofrack for more lockable storage.

I'd look for a small trailer to pull behind your Subaru. Something like the trailer-in-a-bag comes to mind if you have no space to store one. (Google this one.) You may even prefer a regular cycle, flatbed, utility, or enclosed trailer. 4x8 or 5x8 would be pretty small, but fit a bike or two. Aluminum ones would usually be lighter. Secure the trailer every way you can devise (hitchpin, coupler pin, kryptocable, etc). A small enough trailer would work with almost any vehicle you could imagine. I've even seen large motorcycles pulling smaller motorcycles on trailers.

Secure storage can be had in your truck bed by getting a lockable bedcap, and/or lockable boxes that bolt to the truck sides. I'd Herculiner the bed, drill the mounting holes, touch up the liner, then bolt the lockboxes into place with backing plates/washers and nylock nuts so they can't be easily ripped out. You could even make your own boxes or use military surplus ammo cans. Tuffy even makes locking drawers that slide out of the bed, sturdy enough to strap a bike on top. You might be able to make something similar.

You could also figure out a roofrack to mount a lockbox to. My roofrack pieces vary from KargoMaster, Thule, and Yakima. I can strip all of them off the Jeep in just a few minutes. Check them out with Google if you aren't familiar with how they look. They might give you some ideas for fabricating your own.

Sweet Sooby!

I had a '79 Wagon that looked just like that, Same color, same wheels.

Here's my current sub-a-hauler:

sub9.jpg