XR Seat foam

I was thinking of reupholstering my seat on the bike, and it needs new foam, XRsOnly seems like a good place to go since its the cheapest at $54 and you choose the firmness.

My question here may be dumb, but should I go with hard, or medium/stock foam? I really dont think I would like the soft option. The seat foam in it now I assume is stock and its trashed, and torn in spots.:foul:

So has anybody ever purchased seat foam from them??

I went with the soft foam seat from Baja Designs for my XR.

Its great! I can ride all day and my ass is happy.

Unless you really want to do it as a needlework project, I'd not bother with recovering/refoaming a seat...

I did this using a FX gripper cover on my XR400 - I took my time and the result was pretty good actually - however, the cut wasn't perfect (or I didn't get it to sit perfect anyway)...

So I believed the advertising and bought a SDG replacement seat for $89.00 - and it's excellent! The base is a proper plastic moulded one (just like the Honda o/e) and the upholstery is top notch! Seriously, for the sake of another $40 (which you'd have to spend on a gripper cover anyway) it really is the simplest and neatest way to go...

xxx

Hmm, thats interesting. So you can buy an all new seat for $90? Does it include the seatcover too? Or is that seperate? Did you say it was a good fit?

Anyway, idk if they make one for a 95, I'll look. thanks

PS. JMo where did u get urs from? The tt link didn't show any for XR250, and they were over $100, but look like good quality.

Yep - that's the complete thing, ready to bolt on... they do a standard and raised (and presumably lower) height foam too for certain bikes...

I ordered mine through the TT shop...

As for the fit and finish, it looks just as good as o/e if not better?! - although I've not actually fitted it to my bike yet as it's still in the shop having it's cam chain sorted - but I'll be getting it back early next week and will fit the new seat asap - I'll let you know...

xxx

PS. JMo where did u get urs from? The tt link didn't show any for XR250, and they were over $100, but look like good quality.

Ah, I didn't realise yours was a '95... and just presumed that the '96-on seat on the 250 and 400 was the same? (the cover is, so I thought the base would be too?). I just looked at my invoice and I paid $93.56 (ex tax) for mine...

I guess you might need to ask SDG themselves if they do a version for your bike? - sorry...

xxx

Unless you really want to do it as a needlework project, I'd not bother with recovering/refoaming a seat...

I did this using a FX gripper cover on my XR400 - I took my time and the result was pretty good actually - however, the cut wasn't perfect (or I didn't get it to sit perfect anyway)...

xxx

hey, thanks for all the feedback. But what did you mean here? Is seat foam hard to deal with and reinstall? I guess its held on by real strong adhesive. Might be hard to deal with.

And I didn't know the seat covers were the same... pre96 and post 96? If thats true thats nice to know! Anyhow on SDG's website it doesn't list my model, I might try calling them, they're closed now.

One of the XR online places has had replacement foam for about $25-30 depending on the bike. I got it for my 350 a couple of years ago and it's nice. Can't find the name of the place now though.

that would be a real good deal. I hope you can remember where you got it!

SDG and Moose both make replacement seats, I've used both and they are of equal quality and the same price. My SDG got torn up during a crash in a west Texas enduro. When I used the stock tpye seats I preferred the tall firm foam. The density of the foam you choose has a great deal to do with how much you sit during riding, if you sit alot softer is better. I prefer the taller firmer foam as it makes the transition from sitting to standing easier. A company called CEET makes foam and covers also, but you will need a pneumatic staple gun for assembly as a spring actuated gun will not penetrate the seat pan.

I heard that all the seat covers are compatible 96 and up with my 95? All ceet offers for my bike is a Tomato red color seat cover? But 96 and up they have a red and black. Go figure... Anyway, idk if I could get a replacement from moose or sdg, I'll try to find out. Do you think I could get a seat from a newer model XR250/400 and somehow get it to work?

Probably not...

Hey, I still haven't contacted SDG yet, but I'm not really expecting them to carry one for my '95 model. Is it true that XR250 and 400 seatcovers for '96-04 will fit/work on older models like mine? I'd really like to verify that...

thanks for everything... and if anyone knows where to get seat foam cheaper than 54-60$, let me know!

I'd like to know as well, I have a 93' XR250, and no one except CEET carries a seat cover and it's just a tomato colored stock replacement which I have, I'm wanting a gripper and can find them easy for 96 on.