Just bought new (to me) CRF230

Hi guys, just wanted to quit lurking and get some answers to some of my questions. I just bought a 2005 CRF230 from a kid a few miles from me. I can't even ride it yet b/c the back tire is toast, obvious burnout. Anyway, this CRF was bought at a REALLY good price but was not taken care of very well at all. All of the issues are minor and the engine runs perfect.

Here are the problems:

1. Stock muffler has had the baffle removed and is very beat up (I doubt he rejetted either) but hopefully no damage has been done. Heat shield also missing from the header pipe.

2. Fork boots are torn and a fork seal is leaking.

3. Needs new grips.

4. Needs a couple of missing bolts.

5. Tires are completely shot.

6. I'm sure the normal maintenence stuff has not been done.

Here's what I plan to do fix it:

1. Call and see if he still has the baffle/spark arrestor insert and heat shield (doubtful). If not, I'm going to try to find a stock exhaust. I have a "wanted" ad placed on the classified area of this site. If any of you have a stock exhaust in good shape left over after putting on an aftermarket pipe, please send me a PM.

2. I need new fork boots. I'm having trouble finding what I need and I refuse to pay the obscene amount for OEM. I don't like the look of seal savers and will have to find a set of boots. If anyone knows where to find boots that fit, let me know. I'm also going to replace both seals and go to 15 wt. fork oil and pvc spacers. I'm about 200 pounds without gear and need to stiffen up the forks to keep from nose diving.

3. No brainer.

4. Easy enough to find.

5. Already ordered and will be put on next week by the dealer. BTW, I will get them put on this time, but next time I want to build a tire stand and get the motion pro tools to do it myself. I think it would be good to know in case you ever HAVE to do it yourself.

6. Oil change with 10w40 Valvoline MC oil. Clean centrifugal filter. Clean or replace air filter. Check spark plug gap and condition. I've already cleaned and lubed the chain and the sprockets look fine. Front brakes still have life left in them and the rear drum feels fine but I'll know more after riding it. Anything else I need to check or do at this point?

All that said, I bought the bike for a song and can afford to fix it up. I plan to use the bike for trail riding and just general fun. I'm 34 and grew up on dirtbikes, but haven't had one since my CR125 I had in the mid 90's. I've been focused more on streetbikes since then, but dirt riding is in my blood. I think this bike may be perfect for me and the type of riding I plan to do. I ordered a service manual and should get that next week. It kills me for the bike to be sitting in the garage and I haven't even ridden it.

This is an awesome site and I've learned a lot from reading through the forums here. Thanks for any help you guys can offer up.

bogey78

Welcome to the site bogey78

Just a few things I would do since you don't think the bike was maintained very well.

1 While the wheels are at the dealer having the tires put on have them check the spokes and make sure the wheels are straight and true.

2 While you are working on the forks clean and grease the steering head bearings.

3 Remove the rear shock and linkage and swing arm inspect and grease all the pivot points.

4 Have fun. :ride:

Welcome to TT. Sound like your bike needs a little TLC. The 230 with normal maintenance is avery reliable bike. My 03 hasn't cost me a dime other than normal maintenance. With the service manual you can do most of the maintenance yourself.

Get her done and enjoy.:ride:

btw for tire changes you don't need a 'stand' or anything

just a couple motion pro tire spoons that run $5-$10 a peice, and a bottle of soapy water..

After a little practice you'll be able to swap tires out in 10-15 minues including the time it takes to get it off the bike

why not just upgrade the exhaust? a lot of the stuff that people said above me is good to do. Welcome to TT :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will have the service manual in a few days and will read through it and get started on this stuff. I have never checked the steering head bearings or the swing arm or rear shock. I'll definitely get to know this bike well over the next couple of weeks. I really feel like this is going to be a great bike for me.

I'll update when I take my first ride.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will have the service manual in a few days and will read through it and get started on this stuff. I have never checked the steering head bearings or the swing arm or rear shock. I'll definitely get to know this bike well over the next couple of weeks. I really feel like this is going to be a great bike for me.

I'll update when I take my first ride.

what kinda riding u gonna do??

putt-putting and chasing the kids around?

single track?

either way u will have alot of fun with this bike.

i love the saying: "It's alot more fun to ride an underpowered bike wide open than it is to ride a bigger bike at 1/4 throttle." :thumbsup:

o and welcome to TT :)

what kinda riding u gonna do??

putt-putting and chasing the kids around?

single track?

either way u will have alot of fun with this bike.

i love the saying: "It's alot more fun to ride an underpowered bike wide open than it is to ride a bigger bike at 1/4 throttle." :thumbsup:

o and welcome to TT :)

Thanks Buddy. I guess I'll do a little putt-putting around and some mild to moderate trail riding. Limited jumping and basically just having fun.

Thanks for the welcome. Tires should be in this week and I'll be up and riding soon.

Thanks Buddy. I guess I'll do a little putt-putting around and some mild to moderate trail riding. Limited jumping and basically just having fun.

Thanks for the welcome. Tires should be in this week and I'll be up and riding soon.

then this bike will suit you perfectly =]

If you are going to have the forks apart to do seals have you thought about a set of springs... You mentioned some limited jumping... we have had several 230's and 150's... and new springs help alot in the trail riding and jumping arena. The stock springs are pretty soft and bottom easily.

I sold all the 230's and have an extra front and rear set I would sell for $110 plus a few for shipping.

Anyway.... let me know if you need anything.

Torqd

If you are going to have the forks apart to do seals have you thought about a set of springs... You mentioned some limited jumping... we have had several 230's and 150's... and new springs help alot in the trail riding and jumping arena. The stock springs are pretty soft and bottom easily.Torqd

I actually thought about springs, but I just bought some 15w fork oil and plan to add a pvc spacer to stiffen it up a bit. If I need more, I'll go the spring route. Thanks for the offer though.

Not a problem... They are just sitting... good luck with your project.

why not just upgrade the exhaust? a lot of the stuff that people said above me is good to do. Welcome to TT :thumbsup:

Maybe he doesn't want an obnoxious sounding exhaust just to get that extra HP or two.

Have fun with the bike!

Mike, you're right. I would probably just leave the baffle out and re-jet if I wasn't worried about the noise. Also, aftermarket exhausts are not cheap, but I am:)

I basically want to get this bike back to stock form and then I'll go from there. My tires should be in today, so I'll have a first report of the bike very soon.

Mike, you're right. I would probably just leave the baffle out and re-jet if I wasn't worried about the noise. Also, aftermarket exhausts are not cheap, but I am:)

I basically want to get this bike back to stock form and then I'll go from there. My tires should be in today, so I'll have a first report of the bike very soon.

ups says exhaust is coming tues.

:applause: Amen to that. :thumbsup:

yes i know there not cheap. but defenetly not obnoxious. sure itll be louder but it'll sound niiice :ride:

ups says exhaust is coming tues.

Oh, I know. I'm like a kid watching the "Santa Clause" updates on the news on Christmas Eve.:) :)

Tires weren't in yesterday, but maybe today. Test ride for sure this weekend.

MXkid, I agree some aftermarket exhausts sound nice and may (unlikely) put one on in the future. However, I'll still want the stock exhaust if I ever get ready to sell the bike. I have an SV650 streetbike that I would love to put a new "throatier" exhaust on, but like I said before I'm cheap:excuseme:

I have an SV650 streetbike that I would love to put a new "throatier" exhaust on, but like I said before I'm cheap:excuseme:

oooo the v-twin sport bikes sound so bad ass with an open exhaust

RC51 with exhaust = :eek:

hate to be an ******* but i'd sell that SV before putting money into an exhaust for it lol :crazy: