The art and science behind wheelbuilding part deux.

Howdy, I had some problems when building my front wheel a couple of weeks ago. Talon-hub, pro-wheel rims and spokes. The wheel was impossible to centre (right offset) with the 240 mm spokes that according to Talon would be perfect. The spokes from the right side hub where to long and would penetrate the nipples (No dirty thoughts please :). I mounted the wheel on my CRF and measured between the forks. In the end I had to buy 18 new 234 mm spokes to make it work. My front looks totally factory, end of story!

Part II rear rim: Short story, look at the pics! I'm supposed to put in a spoke in every forth hole on the rim (that's how it goes). Every second hole goes the opposite direction which also means that every forth hole is similar, and that fit's with the figuration of the hub! But suddenly I can't do that any more. In pic two we have 5 holes pointing in one direction only! WTF? :cry:

Long story! Rear rim. To start with, Talon hubs for Honda rear have 36 spokes. So which rim should I then buy? Pro-Wheel didn’t know since “we don’t work with Talon”, but they thought any 36 hole wheel would work. I came to the same conclusion since Excel offers the same rim to Yam, Kaw and Zook (but not Honda since they have 32 holes, don’t work with Talons 36 holes). I went for a YZF rear rim

According to vital mx and Talon I should use same length on all spokes 213 mm with Talon-hubs, and I should use the same pattern as I did with the successful front rim:

"Since all the spokes were the same length, and he laced it in four segments, following the same order that he always uses during assembly… disk side outer, disk side inner, and then non-disk side outer, and non-disk side inner."

I'm supposed to put in a spoke in every forth hole on the rim (that's how it goes, and that worked fine with the front rim). Every second hole goes the opposite direction, which also means that every forth hole is similar, and that fit's with the figuration of the hub! But suddenly I can't do that any more. In pic two we have 5 holes pointing in one direction only!

Any suggestions? What is wrong?

21506551414.jpg

21506551425.jpg

well, wheel lacing is the most difficoult work to do in motorbike repair science...

It's difficoult to lace (and true) a stock rim with stock hub and stock nipples and spoke...

Very difficoult to lace a different brand pieces...

In my Husqvarna I use a rear Talon Kawasaki hub with a KTM holed DID rim, 18 spoke for KTM and 18 spoke from a 19rim Husky.

I took one month to lace this wheel and at the end I thought to be crazy...

Obviously I used a lacing different from stock, I use this wheel for training but it's not perfect...

As you can see in EXCEL web page every bike have his wheel, and there are thousand way to drill a rim!There are thousand lenght fo spoke, about 7 different kind of nipples, a lot of drilled hub.

It's very difficoult to find the correct alchimia.

I suggest you to send everything to a professional mechanics and let him lace...

Zac

Damn, you know what I'm talking about. Tnx for the reply. I have been to two lacers, but they couldn't help me out. But I'm sure there are good lacers that would help me for som $ around, just havent found them yet. I just thougth I could get an easy answer from anyone in the world telling me what kind of pro-wheel rim I should use to my Honda rear Talon hub. And since my front rim ended up in a success I thought this would be a minor problem. Solution would be to find an excel rim and sell my pro-wheel it seems...

well, wheel lacing is the most difficoult work to do in motorbike repair science...

It's difficoult to lace (and true) a stock rim with stock hub and stock nipples and spoke...

Very difficoult to lace a different brand pieces...

In my Husqvarna I use a rear Talon Kawasaki hub with a KTM holed DID rim, 18 spoke for KTM and 18 spoke from a 19rim Husky.

I took one month to lace this wheel and at the end I thought to be crazy...

Obviously I used a lacing different from stock, I use this wheel for training but it's not perfect...

As you can see in EXCEL web page every bike have his wheel, and there are thousand way to drill a rim!There are thousand lenght fo spoke, about 7 different kind of nipples, a lot of drilled hub.

It's very difficoult to find the correct alchimia.

I suggest you to send everything to a professional mechanics and let him lace...

Zac

I would contact Talon and ask them.

I would contact Talon and ask them.

I think I have done that, without any good answer. but I'm going to ask again to make sure. But they don't work with Pro-wheel so it will probably be a no-brainer...

/Marc

Got to say there are two things I don't do: cut seats and lace wheels. Send 'em to MXTIME.COM for quality work at a great price.

whats a good rim to match up to a Rad Manufacturing Hub?