SM longevity on the street as commuter bike

Considering a DRZ400SM for my 37 mile commute to work, about 1/4 gravel the rest two lane blacktop thru the cornfields. Max normal speed would be 65 mph. How long should it last before overhaul. I am a 50 plus rider, current mount 07 RMZ 250 for motocross, prior 12 were rm250's. Was bike mechanical during college so the maintainance is not an issue just want to be sure it makes economic sense and gives my 944 turboS some time off. thanks.

Many have 20~30 thou on their bikes and they flog them. Regular oil changes will do a lot.

You could probably get between 30-50k out of the motor before rebuild, according to Internet rumors.

There are many factors overlooked when determining TCO of a vehicle, and many folks fail to consider all the costs in their decisions.

First of all, ANY vehicle can cost you an arm and a leg, if something goes wrong with it... Which can add significantly to your cost per mile.

Second, ANY vehicle costs can vary greatly, depending on the manner in which it is operated.

Since these two aspects are extremely variable, you'll have to figure out for yourself how much costs will be...

Just don't forget to include tires, oil changes, inspections/permits, licensing, general maintenance, insurance, etc. Also, keep in mind DEPRECIATION... While your Porsche sits in your garage, unused... It is still costing you money, probably to the tune of a couple thousand per year. (Some of the loss on depreciation is diminished by less miles on the odometer, while you ride the DR-Z... Just another thing to consider.)

Granted, you could probably save more if you bought an old econocar for a couple grand, and used it gently... But how much fun would that be? And who could drive a beat up rat car when they have a DR-Z and Porsche to choose between? Life may be too short to make that decision.

My buddy, a service manager at a Suzi dealer has had to do two bottom ends on low-mileage DRZ's. Both owners use them for freeway commuting and hold them at 80mph for 1/2 hour or more each way. They both were not interested in gearing up.

I think it would be a reliable commuter in just about any other situation.

I say get one and ride it! I'm sure you'll easily get 30k plus out of it with regular maintenance (and don't believe the manual's recommendations!).

On another site I've read about lots of higher mileage KLR's and XR's, as in 70k +, so I would not be surprised if a DRZ could attain that mileage as well.

... maintainance is not an issue just want to be sure it makes economic sense and gives my 944 turboS some time off. thanks.

I would say go for the SM, and when the weather looks bleak just jump in your 952 and drive it to work. I just bought an '07 DRZ-400s which I drive about 15 miles to work, and the fuel saving and fun factor are astounding. I was getting 28-30 MPG in my '88 924 S, but now see better than 60 on occasion with the DRZ, with a 3X3 and yoshimura RS3 pipe. As far as the maintainence, if you daily drive a Porsche watercooler ,especially a turbo S (hang onto that one!), you wont have any issues with the drz motor holding up for you... :thumbsup:

Dont worry , change oil every 1000 miles , let it warm up , im on 26500 miles 2000 on 436 will do 200 tomorrow with a pair of Lc4's , sweet

Considering a DRZ400SM for my 37 mile commute to work, about 1/4 gravel the rest two lane blacktop thru the cornfields. Max normal speed would be 65 mph. How long should it last before overhaul. I am a 50 plus rider, current mount 07 RMZ 250 for motocross, prior 12 were rm250's. Was bike mechanical during college so the maintainance is not an issue just want to be sure it makes economic sense and gives my 944 turboS some time off. thanks.

Hi cross, welcome.gif

I use my 07SM as daily trasportation in my work and it has so far performed flawlessly for over 8,000 miles. Since I regard it as more of a tool than a toy, I treat it like one, both in operation and maintence... and it has never let me down. If a person doesn't abuse a bike, there's no reason why it can't last a long time.

I do a fair amount of freeway riding, and with the combination of gearing (15/38) and a larger diameter rear tire, the engine runs well under 6,000 rpm at 65 mph with economical mileage.

I consider the DRZ SM a very good bike...

...literally for the long haul.:ride:

Take Care,

Greg

20 to 30 K was the number I was looking for so this does sound very interesting. Also after using old w/c porsches for commuters the last fifteen years I do definetly prefer something that makes me enjoy the commute other than scenery. Thanks again for the great info, bill.

my buddy has just over 36k on his drz and he beats on it daily im a porsche mechanic and collector i have a930 turbo cab slant nose and a strosek 930 keep an eye on the tensioner & waterpump on that 944 take care Gary

I put 40,000 on mine did not burn oil at all( pretty much stock other the 3x3 kit and muffler mod), really mint shape.

The bike was subjected to alot of rpm , and run on a Leaded racefuel mild supplement.

i dont ride mine a whole lot but my buddy has over 50k on his, he has a carb, pipe, cam. he drives it everyday rain or shine. All he has done is change the oil and filter,and lots and lots of tires.