Newbie w/questions

Hey guys, just found your forum and I will probably be a frequent flyer.First off, I dont currently ride but am looking to make a purchase soon. I am considering a Husky, the reviews are great, and the bike looks bad a@#. I am 5"11, and 170# and need some guidance. The bike would be primarily be used for a 20 mile commute (1 way) in Southern California, all street, no freeway,Pacific Coast Highway being the bulk of the 20 mile drive. I am looking all purpose,enduro because it will probably see trail riding 5- 10% of the time.(should I be considering super moto?). The displacement is also a question....the all purpose being a 610 and the next step down being a 510/450. PCH is primarily stop light to stoplight, but my commute hours tend to see a majority of green lights with travel speed limits from 35mph to 55 mph. As for my riding experience, its all trail, desert and dirt,sand and some track time, but no street (Ive had a few scooters). I started riding when I was 13 and stopped when I was 22, at the end of my riding I was on a YZ125, I was 125 lbs and that was all I needed at that point. Ive never owned a thumper, but rode an XR 600 in the early 80's and wasnt intimidated by it at all...I know the technology, HP, and torque have come a long way, in fact my 200# buddy just recently bought a crf250 4 stroke and said its enough for him to handle. Bacically Im looking for opinions, any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Keith

I've had a great time with my SM610...But, I don't think you could go wrong with the TE610 either for that kind of commuting.

TE 610 sounds perfect for what you described here. SM wont like dirt except smooth roads. If the TE 610 sounds too big, go for the TE450 or TE510.

For the short highway hop you describe, either would be fine. But if freeway becomes an issue, go for the 610. Husky dealers just finished having free rides on both the TE and SMR 610s last month. Stop by a local dealer and take them out for a spin. You will need a current motorcycle license though.:ride: Steny

Thanks for the info guys. Steny, reading a post you put up on still instock models, I just got off the phone with Josh at GP. He had some good sugestions and I believe I will be paying him a visit on Tuesday. I might be leaning towards the SM510 but I will have to weigh the pros and cons. Thanks again, Keith

what kind (if any) of offroad riding would you like to do with this machine?

what kind (if any) of offroad riding would you like to do with this machine?

Light trail, some desert(probably hard pack terrain) and I would like to do some light mountain trail, fire road type riding.Nothing radical, like I stated earlier mostly road bike, some camping trip motoring. I had a nice conversation with a neighbor of mine who is an avid rider and he was steering me toward the 610. He said he liked the 510 but for my road travel the 610 would be more user friendly. 510 has a lot of vibration/harmonics issues ?

Light trail, some desert(probably hard pack terrain) and I would like to do some light mountain trail, fire road type riding.Nothing radical, like I stated earlier mostly road bike, some camping trip motoring. I had a nice conversation with a neighbor of mine who is an avid rider and he was steering me toward the 610. He said he liked the 510 but for my road travel the 610 would be more user friendly. 510 has a lot of vibration/harmonics issues ?

From your input, I'd go with the TE610. By all accounts, the TE610 handles the road extremely well. Far far better than any of the SMs will handle the trail or desert. It seems to be a true do-it-all kind of bike.

R

From your input, I'd go with the TE610. By all accounts, the TE610 handles the road extremely well. Far far better than any of the SMs will handle the trail or desert. It seems to be a true do-it-all kind of bike.

R

Being 170# should I be leary of the weight on the 610 ? Ive been told that the 610 is the way to go, more refined than the 450/510. For the 90% road and 10% off road will the weight really be an issue ?

Being 170# should I be leary of the weight on the 610 ? Ive been told that the 610 is the way to go, more refined than the 450/510. For the 90% road and 10% off road will the weight really be an issue ?

The 610's are the heaviest Huskies (and also the only ones with "normal" servicing), but in dual sport terms TE610 is one of the lightest.

I did heaps of research (and bought a few bikes) before settling on the TE610. Lightweight, six speed, heaps of power and top suspension all standard. Budget for a new seat though. All in all, I couldn't be happier

The 610's are the heaviest Huskies (and also the only ones with "normal" servicing), but in dual sport terms TE610 is one of the lightest.

I did heaps of research (and bought a few bikes) before settling on the TE610. Lightweight, six speed, heaps of power and top suspension all standard. Budget for a new seat though. All in all, I couldn't be happier

+1

Within its class, the TE610 is a relatively light bike. Performance wise, it is top notch.

R

One of the major differences is the gearing. The TE250/450/510 all have narrow ratio gearboxes, while the TE610 is the only TE with a wide ratio gearbox. For street driving, that will make a HUGE difference. The TE610 also has a keyed ignition and steering lock.

The only reason you'd want to go for the 250/450/510 would be "extensive trail work". The TE610 fits the bill for what you've described!

Thank you very much guys, I will be sizing one up soon. One more question for you guys, what do you think about them going fuel injected for 2008 ? There are still some 2007's around, any pros or cons ?

Thank you very much guys, I will be sizing one up soon. One more question for you guys, what do you think about them going fuel injected for 2008 ? There are still some 2007's around, any pros or cons ?

Thats not an easy question to answer, nobody has an injected TE to give you a reasonable evaluation. But personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd get the injected one. Always having the perfect air\fuel ratio no matter where you are riding has its advantages.

Just my $0.02 :D

The TE610 is the real do it all machine. Its as fast in the 100yd. dash as most sport bikes, can handle street and hwy duty real well and is still a pretty admirable off roader. Carb or fuel injection you can't go wrong.:thumbsup: